Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership
New Sponsor post
Closeout Sale - BSA Apparel & Merchandise
by C.B.S - 10/23/21 4:05 pm
New FAQ post
How To: Add attached images in between text
by Morgan aka admin - 10/03/21 9:46 am
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Al Eckstadt
Al Eckstadt
Jordan, NY
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 86
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
koan58 21
NickL 15
Newest Members
RolandM, David Baines, Pratty, AndyW, ChrisTriumph3
11,878 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Fin_Hannu, Kent Shaun), 21 guests, and 74 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#616976 09/11/15 2:20 pm
J
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
I just heard that Bob Myers, founder and longtime owner of Free State Cycles, in Bladensburg, MD, has passed away. Bob played a key role in the history of Triumph motorcycles, both through his sponsorship of many great racers, and as the representative of US Triumph dealers in the negotiations between Triumph factory management and workers in the mid-'70s. Motorcycling has lost one of its finest men. Godspeed, Bob.

Triumphs on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Free State Cycle started out in Wheaton, Maryland, where I had many fantasies 'riding' the showroom models.

In September 1965, after the shop had moved to Bladensburg, Bob sold me my first NEW Triumph - a 1966 Bonneville. The sticker price was $1,165 and he gave me $200 trade-in for my old '53 6T.

I remember Bob as a really great guy who took the time to explain some of the finer points of maintaining that magnificent motorcycle to me, a green 18-year-old. You couldn't find anyone more enthusiastic about motorcycling and motorcycle racing.

Ride on, Bob, ride on.

Bruce Miller
aka The Hermit
The Bonnie Ref: https://www.hermit.cc/tmc/om/manual.htm
Hermit #617029 09/11/15 10:02 pm
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Did not know the man but the old masters are moving on.

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
Any advice given is without a warranty expressed or implied.
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Rest In Peace , Bob Myers. A true Triumph man. I'm glad John H had his story of how he helped save Meriden told in Vintage Bike magazine a few years back. I'm sorry I never had the privilege of meeting this fine gent.

1983 TR65T Tiger Trail
1983 TSSAV
1983 TSX
1983 TR65 Thunderbird
1982 TR7T Tiger Trail
J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
It is often strange how things that seem so unrelated work out in the end.

If it wasn't for Bob you wouldn't see John Bloor's Triumph on the road today.

When Gary Nixon was still "wet behind his ears" Bob took him into his home and gave him a job so he could race motorcycles.

When the Big 4 dealers needed someone to head the national dealers group to negotiate with the Fed's and the manufacturers, Bob volunteered to do the job (Bob was also a Honda dealer).

It was Bob who organized and presented the proof to Sir Christopher Chataway that he did the wrong thing when when he gave BSA to Dennis Poore knowing that Poore's intention was to stop production of the Bonneville and close Meriden.

Bob was a friend to many and generous with his time whether it be an 18 year old or an 80 year old. He was an avid runner. Some of you might remember Chataway as the rabbit in the race where Roger Banister broke the sub 4 minute mile barrier. It was on early morning runs around London that Bob and Chris did their serious negotiations over the future of Meriden.

Bob will be missed by his family and the many who called him a friend...

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
I was pleased to see Mick Duckworth gave a mention to Bob in his recent CB article. I hope Bob saw that and appreciated that what he did in respect of Meriden was still remembered.

1983 TR65T Tiger Trail
1983 TSSAV
1983 TSX
1983 TR65 Thunderbird
1982 TR7T Tiger Trail

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com