Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
5% Off Everything for Brit Bike Users
by The Bonneville Shop - 12/30/21 4:54 pm
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Robert Dentico
Robert Dentico
Mid -Coast Maine - US
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Cyborg 60
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 22
NickL 21
Newest Members
Andyozz, BCDEREK, Flatspot, Larry Nelson, Binksy
11,983 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
10 members (p400, R Moulding, Magnetoman, koan58, coleb, bill50cal, gavin eisler, Aboatguy, AML, reverb), 33 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics75,267
Posts758,183
Members11,983
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
I posted in the "Project" threads a while back but it hasn't seen much attention, so I thought I'd start a new thread here for all you RE enthusiasts. smile

I started building this bike the winter of 2011-2012. I found it in a barn collecting dust, and it had been sitting there since 1993, when I saved it, and who knows how long it had sat before that. I slowly started fixing her up, finding out the magneto windings were bad and didn't run well, but later discovered that the motor had been gone thru at one point, and then given up on. Over the last 3 years, I converted the mag to a Thorspark electronic ignition conversion, head gaskets, new Concentric carb, converted to 12v electrical, painted the bike twice, tires, tubes, clutch rebuild and on and on.

This winter I decided to start converting from a bobber to a cafe racer. I kustom shaped the tank myself, installed clip on bars and new controls, custom built the dual exhaust into a 2-1 exhaust, rear set controls, kustom aluminum seat pan. Just about everything vintage cafe except for a fairing, which I haven't decided which style I want to go with yet.

The paint is black base coat with with gold and white pearl coat on top. The rear seat cowl and primary cover were dipped in hydrographics, and came out really cool. I'm pretty much done with the body work now, except for the fairing and a few decals I want to install. My overall goal is to build a new performance motor over the next year or so, and then start competing in some vintage road races. I still have a ways to go before I'm ready for the track mechanically, but I do want to get out this year for a couple of track days just to get a feel for the course and get some practice in. smile

Anyway, here is the bike in it's mostly finished form. Still a few odd and ends to do, but I'm almost there.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Scottie J ~ 1958 Enfield/Indian Trailblazer ~ Drinks Corn
Royal Enfield on eBay
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Well done, Scottie!
Great to see a work in progress! Are these projects ever really finished? Did you make up the center stand, or use an "India" stand as source material? Nice bike! Keep the good work!

REgards!

Bigtwin

S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Thanks! It's an AVL stand that I welded a couple extra pieces of pipe to the bottom of to extend it another 1 1/4". It's kind of primitive, but it was only $25 compared to $100 for the original cast stand. And more importantly, it works and keeps my bike stable and upright. wink The old stand was so worn down that the bike had fallen over a few different times, and I wasn't about to have that happen again with the new build. And no, projects are never finished. laugh

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Scottie ...you are very talented with the paint!!! Now, let's see some burnouts!!!!!! good stuff thanks for posting!

Brian
S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by royaloilfield
Scottie ...you are very talented with the paint!!! Now, let's see some burnouts!!!!!! good stuff thanks for posting!

Thanks! And here's some burnout action for you from last year. laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0FJctuxOZI

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
How are you keeping the primary chain lubed? I've only seen an open primary with a belt drive.

S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
I have everything packed with Lucas Hi Tack Red grease. It is a semi-synthetic grease that is very thick and sticky and has a drop point of 560*F. I'll need to dis-assemble and repack every few hundred miles, but I have the process down and can do it in a couple hours. Even after I completely rebuilt the entire clutch pack it was still slipping over half throttle, even after running Trick Shift in it. I can't afford a belt drive but this conversion has worked excellent. It has not slipped at all, nor drag one bit.

S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Finished off my primary cover yesterday with some perforated stainless steel that I polished. I think it came out pretty good, I'm happy with it. smile

[Linked Image]

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Scottie,

I'm wondering why the front end of your machine seems to sit up so high? Is it perhaps the center stand is extra long, and swings too far forward when 'engaged'? Or, perhaps it is an optical illusion ...

...gREgg

Spyder Integrated Technologies
Lucas & BTH Magneto Restoration
Lucas & Miller Dynamo Restoration
SMITHS Chronometric & Magnetic Instrument Restoration
[email protected]
S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
I think it's just the angle of the pic. I actually installed slightly longer Emgo rear Shocks, so if anything, the front should look lower.

G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
Nice job Scottie. Too radical for my old bones but looks like fun.

57 Woodsman
64 Interceptor
58 Trailblazer
59 Constellation
64 500 Sport twin
61 Hornet

2001 W650
1966 W1
J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
Hi Scottie,

This bike is really superb. very nice I love it.
Is this the bike with some oil pressure problems than we should solve this anyway if you want to race. Maybe 2 carbs give you more power.

We keep in touch, I will help you

Regards,

Johnvr

S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Yes, Johnvr, it is. And thank you for the compliment. smile I do plan to run 2 carbs in the future, but keeping it simple for now.

Moderated by  royaloilfield 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com