Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Ian C
Ian C
South Yorkshire, UK
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Bsa bulletin board Jump to new posts
Re: Help ID a 1968 B44SS front end please. Gordon Gray 1 hour ago
The first photo ( on the original post) is my 69-70 SS front end. Here's what he has. Looks like the grooves line up......but I can't swear that what it does when mounted to the bike. The only thing 68 have in the shop are VS front ends......completely different. Need some one with a 68SS to help out here please.

Thank you in advance....Gordon
1 19 Read More
Events Jump to new posts
Re: Rutts Ripper Old Bike Night 2021 Tridentman 1 hour ago
Photos to come---patience please!

"Patience is a virtue
Possess it if you can
Seldom found in woman
But never found in man"
9 349 Read More
Triumph bulletin board Jump to new posts
Re: T140E rear wheel balance Gordon Gray 1 hour ago
Stuart wrote " Don't know about "horror" but, like Gordon, ime a front wheel puncture on a single-track vehicle is one of the best natural laxatives known; anyone who can bottle it will be rich.

Thank you sir.... clap....I needed a good laugh. laughing ohno laughing thumbsup

The fellow following behind me ( Bill....aka No Name Man) thought I was having a heart attach. I carry spare tubes ( yes plural) and tools to change them out. I was a bit of a wreck ( pun intended) and Bill finally took the tools out of my hands and finished the job......bless him, I'll never forget that act of kindness. The rest of the group was ahead of us and by the time they got back to us the repair was well on the way. BSA didn't put rim locks on that bike's front end....but Gordon did when he got home with it.

I agree 100% with Lorenzo ..........it's your bike, you can do anything you want with it.

Gordon

And it was caused by on of these little tacks.......in black that was stuck between the treads and out of sight.....no telling how long it had been in there.
46 734 Read More
Re: Header crossover Irish Swede 2 hours ago
Yes, but also notice that the pipe is slotted where the clamp fits, to allow this.
4 86 Read More
British motorcycles in general Jump to new posts
Re: Bike bench ruellarobson 3 hours ago
friend
Can you tell me what kind of wood is most appropriate, in terms of hardness, I can use for a project like this?
I want to make one for my NC750X.
Thanks
34 100,715 Read More
Garage sale - The private buy & sell board Jump to new posts
Re: Peashooter mufflers for sale hacksaw 5 hours ago
yea. ok.
7 232 Read More
Bsa gold star forum Jump to new posts
Re: Jigs, fixtures and special tools Shane in Oz 5 hours ago
Originally Posted by Dave - NV
I would like to add a couple I have made with the aid of a machinist friend you may find interesting. BTW both are for sale to a 'good home' for a modest fee as I won't be building more GS engines.
Dave, I suspect shipping to Australia will make it a non-starter, but I'd be interested in both.
4 201 Read More
Events Jump to new posts
Re: 2021 BIBR? DavidP 8 hours ago
I went out today wearing an old BIBR t-shirt.
I stopped at a yard sale on my way home. The lady at the sale asked me about my shirt. When I told her that it was a British motorcycle rally in Hiawassee her face lit up. Turns out she used to live near Blue Ridge.
Small world.
31 1,085 Read More
The Rod and Tappet Jump to new posts
Re: The Continuing Adventures Of Deadstiffcatt Deadstiffcatt 8 hours ago
A bit more tonight.....

Working at a slight disadvantage on a stupid phone. Have located a photo hosting service, so will be getting pics stored on computer added soon. Limited access to internet......

So...... I haven't learned to surf, and HT is on another island all together.
Here's a few random pics.....Welcome to Hawaii !

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The small house I built:

The shed for the bike's:

Requisite vintage Triumph photo:

That's it for now...ready to go home after my workday. Cheers!
11 495 Read More
Norton bulletin board Jump to new posts
Re: 850 FireFlake Blue Rohan 9 hours ago
Originally Posted by Rohan
More of these in Cobalt Blue

And sneaking into Tritons even.
Which is a sparkling example, it must be said.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Q3MAAOSwGTBgy3xz/s-l1600.jpg
87 29,914 Read More
Re: popping on over run htown70 10 hours ago
Check your carb synch. Mine was popping on one side. The slide was almost closed compared to the other side. Set the slide heights equal and the popping went away.
4 101 Read More
Re: Electronuc ignition and bad attery Al Eckstadt 10 hours ago
John, I have a good battery - but I'm leaving it in my 67 Interceptor. I'm making a list of things the bike needs, which I will discuss with the owner. A battery will be on the list of first things to address.
Thanks everyone.
Al
5 170 Read More
Members bike projects Jump to new posts
Re: Enclosed Motorcycle Trailer: Design & Build Shane in Oz 12 hours ago
Originally Posted by gavin eisler
It was nt 100 plus , I would just melt in that heat. its lovely here in Argyll the moment, the air is balmy and scented with Hawthorn and Azaleas, no air con needed...
It's what the body acclimatises to. It's almost midwinter day here, and our maximum temperature probably won't be far short of yours (currently 15 degrees C, with a forecast maximum of 17)

When I was a young bloke working on the family's farm in NW NSW, Magnetoman's 110+ degrees F would have been reason to work in the shed in the shade. It would knock the stuffing out of me now, because we moved to a locations with a somewhat smaller temperature range..
512 79,656 Read More
Re: 1968 BSA kick start lever hanging up NickL 13 hours ago
Lots of options for re-assembly for the lovable kickstart return spring......

I tend to put the kick lever on and replace the inner cover by holding the tension that way
but others do different things. You'll have fun if you've not done it before...........

All the best.
Nick
6 141 Read More
Norton bulletin board Jump to new posts
Re: Odd Norton featherbed frame NickL 13 hours ago
coded frame number could be 'What's This $hit' etc.
4 71 Read More
British motorcycles in general Jump to new posts
Re: turn signals BrizzoBrit Yesterday at 10:02 PM
They are the exact same ones that I have used. They do fit in quite well without being too obtrusive. Life span is quite good if you get the netter ones. Like everything from China they all look the same but quality varies. I guess that depends on the demands on quality of the middle-man.

I use my A65 for commuting everyday and found this made a huge difference to my riding experience with tin-tops.

Ray
13 280 Read More
Re: Self leveling primary oil. How does it work? Hillbilly bike Yesterday at 10:00 PM
I don't know what the deal is with 5 degrees other than
it supposedly causes less harmonics..I was told that 180 degrees throws chains.But I think at least one Brit racer used 180....
90 5,884 Read More
Ariel forum Jump to new posts
Re: 1928 Ariel Model C Magnetoman Yesterday at 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by gunner
I tend to do any paintwork in the shed these days as I've found that if I try spraying paint in the garage, the overspray seems to get in the air and go everywhere.
I've been doing all the painting in the garage, trying my best to minimize overspray. But, this has limited my work time the past week since the fumes cause me to evacuate the garage for some number of hours after each painting session.

When I want to do a proper job in the future, I'll build a pop-up paint booth next to the garage from PVC pipe and plastic sheets, use an actual paint gun, and do the work on a wind-free day.

Unlike what I wrote in my previous post, I only used 800 grit paper on the primer. The goal is to have a final gloss paint surface that is shiny and free from orange peel and there's no need to have the primer base extraordinarily smooth to accomplish that. The 800 grit left the surface quite smooth so I decided to skip the 1000.

Directions on the can say the gloss black paint dries to the touch in 15 minutes and subsequent coats should be applied within 1 hour or after 48 hours. So, I made repeated trips out to the garage every 10–15 minutes to apply a total of five coats. The next photograph was taken while the paint was still wet after two coats.

[Linked Image]

As the reflection of the overhead lights shows, there is no sign of residual distortion from my repair, so all the work with Bondo, glazing putty, and the form tool paid off. Addendum: I realized after posting this that I hadn't positioned the reflection over the worst of the damage when I took the photograph so you'll just have to take my word for the fact that "moving" the reflection all around the mudguard didn't reveal any distortion.

As a reminder, the next photograph shows what the pre-Bondo mudguard looked like.

[Linked Image]

The paint can doesn't indicate how long it takes for the gloss black to "fully" dry. However, the "dries to the touch" time of 15 minutes, and the repaint time of less than an hour or more than 48 hours, is at 70 ℉. I've had the garage at 80 ℉ during the day in the current heatwave, rising to 87 ℉ overnight (the default setting I use for the AC in the summer, to keep sensitive items from getting too hot). Since the paint fumes are pretty unpleasant (not to mention, unhealthy), as soon as I finished the last coat I turned the AC up to 87 since I won't work in the garage again today.

Based on the rule of thumb that chemical reaction times reduce by half for every increase of 10 ℃, one day drying time will be equivalent to two days at 70 ℉. I'll finish the mechanical work (assembling the primary side, timing the magneto, attaching the fuel tank and oil line, etc.) before doing the color sanding of the mudguard, so it will have had the equivalent of at least five 70 ℉ days to dry before I sand it.

I couldn't be more pleased with how the mudguard looks at this point, so it remains for me not to screw it up when I do the color sanding and buffing. Unfortunately, this means I'll now how to polish and wax the front mudguard and fuel tank to keep them from looking out of place.
3,168 1,120,475 Read More
Garage sale - The private buy & sell board Jump to new posts
Re: Looking For Transport For 1950 Thunderbird Purchas fried okra Yesterday at 06:19 PM
And I wish I could buy a NEW 1969 Pontiac GTO again too frown
5 179 Read More
Re: Sebring electronic ignition leon bee Yesterday at 06:04 PM
Here is the only Sebring stuff I've seen online. If my link doesn't work google british only tech tips:

https://partsbooks.britishonly.com/partsbooks/PDF_Files/sebring/sebringcombined.pdf
1 66 Read More
Re: NEB belt driven primary Z900 Yesterday at 12:10 PM
Hi Jeff,

I did, but when you make the pulley warm/hot then it should be easy !
Even (if it still won't go on) you can make the crankshaft cold with cold spray.
8 285 Read More
Re: Step back in time ricochetrider Yesterday at 10:23 AM
fun stuff, gotta revisit these when I have more time to kill.
3 207 Read More
Re: Leather suits and gear questions Dibnah Yesterday at 07:05 AM
The deceased Captain Maurice Seddon led the way with heated garments for motorcyclists

http://corpsesfromhell.blogspot.com/2012/06/captain-maurice-seddons-bsa-500s.html

If a full fairing isn't available then fettle a plastic drum/barrel/keg to create leg guards, fix to engine crash bars. I can't recall if a 5 gallon drum is big enough. Fettle 2 x one gallon plastic containers for the handlebars, plus a perspex screen bolted to the handlebars
6 214 Read More
Re: Throttle Sticking DavidP Yesterday at 05:09 AM
Originally Posted by splash
What is everyone using for cable lube? I recently used Marvels mystery oil on front brake cable because it was closest to me and seemed runny enough to work down into outer sleeve. 🤷🏻‍♂️
NOTHING! Most modern cables are nylon lined, which do not wish to be oiled.
I have a few clutch cables hanging on the wall which refuse to move, even though I used synthetic PTFE lubricant.
20 502 Read More
The triple forum Jump to new posts
Re: Shock drive rubbers DavidP Yesterday at 04:46 AM
I found them from a seller who listed them using all three part numbers.
Seems like the original ones on my '74 lasted about 11 years, unknown mileage. Not too difficult to replace, but I can't remember the method I used.
6 170 Read More
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com