Britbike forum
Posted By: Ob1quixote Your attention please - 02/27/21 12:29 pm
After my appliance {and me} was t-boned by a red light running cager, I began to have a lower GI issue. At first I hoped it would take care of itself.

It didnt.

Then I thought maybe it was caused by pain meds taken post accident, and I could add it to the injury suit.

It wasnt.

While I'm still waiting for the biopsy results, the look on the camera doctor's face and demeanor lend me to believe the worst. Initial appointment with the surgeon is next week. Benign or not, gonna take some doctoring to fix, and it would appear to have been there for a while, yet causing no symptoms until now.

So, they say you should get a colonoscopy at age 50. Mine was only 9 years late.
But, but, but...

The prep of "clearing the pipes" isnt much fun, but it wont kill you.
The procedure itself, no issue. Got introduced to propofol. Stuff works like a light switch.
The only wear and tear I experienced was my ankle "slept wrong", and was swollen and painful to walk on for a few days.
Ask for a pillow to support your right foot, because it may lay in a bad position.
All in all, no big deal.

So, get your colonoscopy.
Sermon over.
Posted By: MikeG Re: Your attention please - 02/27/21 12:51 pm
Agree with you 100%-Getting it done is nothing to be afraid of or worried about and the benefits far outweigh any discomfort. Hoping for the best for you OB1.
Posted By: Irish Swede Re: Your attention please - 02/27/21 1:03 pm
While you're at it, get checked for prostate cancer, too.

I did, and mine was caught EARLY.

Treatment took about a year, but cleared it up.
Posted By: raf940 Re: Your attention please - 02/27/21 1:20 pm
i just had colonoscopy and CT scan for lower abdomen stabbing pain flareups turns out it's diverticulitis hope you get well soon the tests eased my mind as my grandmother died of colon cancer and my brother has bladder cancer right now tests are a good thing
Posted By: Gordon Gray Re: Your attention please - 02/27/21 2:27 pm
I really don't "like" any of these posts........I'm just trying to show support. We're blessed to wake up in the morning and be able to get out of bed. Ob.......fingers crossed you hear some good news. Wish all of you the best.

Gordon Gray in NC
Posted By: henryanthony Re: Your attention please - 02/27/21 3:37 pm
I think the worst thing about a colonoscopy is knowing those doctors have to be making jokes about you especially if, like me, yours is done by two ladies!

So far, mine have been clear and I am due for one this year. Due for Covid vaccine second shot in March. Don't forget flu shot, tetanus, pneumonia and shingles.

Wish you well, Ob1.
Posted By: KC in S.B. Re: Your attention please - 02/27/21 3:41 pm
If you are the curious type, some Dr.s will let you view the video screen while in progress.
“..... and now you see the bend coming up, you might feel a bit of pressure.... “. Hey, get your money’s worth!
Posted By: GrandPaul Re: Your attention please - 02/27/21 4:31 pm
"The Greatest Show in Your Rectum"

We are now approaching Youranus...
Posted By: oilyamerican Re: Your attention please - 02/27/21 5:11 pm
I'm over due for a "journey to the dark side of the 'moon' ".

My first time in, I asked the Doc if he knew why he could be starring in an episode of Star Trek....he said- no, why ?
Because he's going where no man has gone before. That cracked everybody up.
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 02/27/21 10:01 pm
Thanks guys! Hoping for a good resolution here, and just wanted to tell folks that the procedure isnt a horror show, and to not blow off those recommendations like I did.
Posted By: Jon W. Whitley Re: Your attention please - 02/27/21 10:31 pm
Originally Posted by KC in S.B.
If you are the curious type, some Dr.s will let you view the video screen while in progress.
“..... and now you see the bend coming up, you might feel a bit of pressure.... “. Hey, get your money’s worth!

KC,

I got one in 2019 and they had the video screen up. However, with the drugs/sedation, it seems that I looked at the screen for their start of the op and then I was told I was done and I remember thinking, wow, that was fast ! It was actually around 20-25 minutes and I actually had no concept of time during the procedure.
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: Your attention please - 02/27/21 10:56 pm
The cure rate for early stage rectual cancer in the US is over 90% .Relax, let the doc's do their work.
And there's the intake pipe, esophaus, if you have any trouble swallowing do get endoscope exam asap....Smoking, drinking,acid reflux are the usual risk factors.
I can go on about the horrors of late stage esophagus cancer, but no one needs to hear it...
Posted By: Zimm Re: Your attention please - 02/28/21 3:43 pm
I am a year past due for my second one. First was clear 10 years ago. With any luck, COVID will back off and I can get it done later this year. The prep does suck, but being encouraged to blow big farts afterwards, was a new experience. Usually, that gets me in trouble.

When I had the first one, the Doc told me that they would be using propofol. When I asked if that was the same stuff that killed Michal Jackson, she told me "yes, but I know what I'm doing so you will be fine". That stuff was amazing. No residual that I could tell at all.

Be well Ob1. They can fix a whole lot of stuff these days that used to be big problems.
Posted By: edunham Re: Your attention please - 02/28/21 11:20 pm
I had my first colonoscopy at 52. No symptoms. My doctor suggested it and my wife was being a PITA about it (pun intended). I had a a 27" tumor. By the time it was removed I no longer had a descending colon. When my wife and I went to see the surgeon, he examined me, told us what he intended to do, and asked if we had any questions. It was winter and I asked him if I would recuperate in time to ride my bikes in the spring. He looked puzzled, scratched his head, and said "Gee, most people ask about sex!"

Ed from NJ
Posted By: Lannis Re: Your attention please - 02/28/21 11:44 pm
Had my first one at age 40 (thank goodness for required "executive physicals" at my company then!). Found and took out a couple benign polyps, come back in 5 years. Found and took about about 4 benign polyps, come back in 5 years. Found and took out about 4 "pre-cancerous" polyps, come back in TWO years. Found and took out 1 "precancerous" polyp, come back in three years. Found nothing at all .... come back in 4 years, a year to go.

The first ones, 25 years ago, they didn't knock you out and depending on how good a driver the doctor was with the probe, it could be damned unpleasant. Today, they give you something where you just don't CARE what they do, even if you're a little bit awake. There could be a giant naked Zulu warrior waiting behind you ready to take his pleasure with you, and you'd be like, "Yeah, whatever, dude ..."

And having had quite a few of these, I can assure you with great confidence that the staff has heard EVERY SINGLE JOKE (including that one) that you might make and think is original, and they've heard it hundreds and hundreds of times, and if they appear to laugh, it's just to help you along, not because they didn't know exactly what you were going to say .... ! Just a job to them, like you making a clever pothole joke to a guy filling and tamping his 24,432nd pothole on the highway with asphalt patch ....

Lannis
Posted By: linker48x Re: Your attention please - 03/01/21 12:01 am
Absolutely worth it, everyone reading this should get tested on schedule. The absolutely worst thing you could do is to put it off. I'm a cancer survivor (lymphoma) and my mom had colon cancer--resection, and lived another 30 years, and my dad passed from bladder cancer that metastasized after it was caught very late. Cancer is everywhere, and it is certainly worth it to pay attention to it and catch it early. I'm getting off the soap box now...

Oh, and good luck, Ob1quixote! These various tests are no big deal, and knowing early is definitely worth it. I agree with Lannis, you can expect the staff to be compassionate and understanding, and supportive if you are nervous or uncomfortable.
Posted By: MikeG Re: Your attention please - 03/01/21 12:10 am
I remember talking to one of my customers about this. His doctor was after him to get one and he asked me if I had ever had it done. I told him I was pretty sure I had as I had been to the doctors office and woke up naked on a gurney with a greasy butt.....funny thing is I had just gone in for a flu shot shocked eek
Posted By: Hugh Jörgen Re: Your attention please - 03/01/21 1:12 am
I came to in the recovery ward and was asked what my phone number was.
I immediately rhymed off the business number of a company I hadn't worked at for 30 years.

The post-op nurse asked if I had any concerns or questions.
I told her I had sort of expected the doc to be there to let me know how things had gone.
She leaned over close to me and whispered "I'm afraid to him, you're just another a**hole".
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/01/21 1:21 am
lol!
Posted By: Gordon Gray Re: Your attention please - 03/01/21 1:18 pm
This one hits home with me. My oldest son (52) just started chemo and radiation last week for stage 3 colon cancer. Going to be a long process but as has been mentioned before the survival/success rate is good.

Ob......hang in there bud. Waiting on results must be nerve wracking.

If there’s anything we can do to help just let us know.

Gordon in NC

PS. I got lucky. Didn’t get my first and only scope up the butt until I was in my late 60s. Passed with flying colors and don’t have to go back for 10 years. By that time I probably won’t give a [***]. (pun intended). You REALLY need to have this done. It’s so easy and you are pretty much in and out in no time.
Posted By: Lannis Re: Your attention please - 03/01/21 7:03 pm
I got motivated about getting checked out when my favorite actress of all time died of colon cancer when she was only 63. It was a rare form, centered on the appendix, but if it had been found before it got out of hand, she might still be with us. A regular colonoscopy like they do today would have saved her.

She was almost starved to death in Holland in 1944 when the Nazis tried to eliminate the country by completely cutting off the food supply (which we've discussed here before when we talked about eating turnips and greens, which are only cattle food now in Holland), and it affected her digestive system and made her more susceptible to this, plus she was a three-pack-a-day smoker most of her life, which helps nothing, but still .....

Attached picture Audrey.jpeg
Posted By: ricochetrider Re: Your attention please - 03/01/21 7:21 pm
Damn, brother! Best luck in all of this, OB
Posted By: Irish Swede Re: Your attention please - 03/01/21 9:17 pm
It's Audrey Hepburn.

Are you aware that as a girl, she also worked in the Resistance as a messenger/courier?
Posted By: HughdeMann Re: Your attention please - 03/02/21 12:43 am
Maybe TMI, but I have Crohn's disease. A disease of the intestine. I have had surgery, and more 'scopes than I can count. I had surgery at the Cleveland Clinic. America's best location for this surgery, at the time. The Doc said get a scope every TEN years. Once I got on Medicare, suddenly my doctor here wants me to have one every three years. Do ya think he's making money from Medicare when I go?
Posted By: scott garland Re: Your attention please - 03/03/21 5:52 am
Going for mine in a few days, already had Prostate Cancer now this. Oh well.
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: Your attention please - 03/03/21 5:30 pm
My ticket to life has been punched, waiting for the last exit...Enjoy life while you can and don't sweat the testing that can give you more life
Posted By: gunner Re: Your attention please - 03/04/21 10:16 pm
I was screened for Bowel Cancer starting at age 55, the technique used was a flexible sigmoidoscopy which is similar to colonoscopy but only looks at the Sigmond colon which is approx. the last 30% to 50% of the colon. The procedure is done without any sedative and you get to see the live inspection on a TV monitor.

The procedure can be uncomfortable as compressed air/CO2 is used to inflate the colon slightly to allow the scope to enter the colon, especially in the higher areas. The surgeon looks for signs of tumours, polyps and other issues rotating the camera to check all areas.

In my case, several polyps were found, removed and sent to the lab for analysis. Later I learned that the polyps were benign and there were no other issues to worry about.

When I turned 60 the other month, I received a stool test kit in the post which I duly completed and returned. This test check for traces of blood which may be from a tumour.

My result was negative so I'm happy about that and the next test is automatically scheduled in 2 years time.
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/04/21 10:36 pm
Surgery Tuesday, 3-4 days in the hospital, here we go!
Posted By: Hugh Jörgen Re: Your attention please - 03/04/21 10:41 pm
Thumbs up!
Er, you know what I mean.
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/04/21 11:10 pm
The things I will stoop to to lose weight...
Posted By: Gordon Gray Re: Your attention please - 03/05/21 11:30 am
Ob........for all you’ve done for others.....if there’s anything I/we can do to help.....just say so.

I don’t pray...never have but my thoughts are with you.

We’re all on the clock...........Gordon
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/05/21 12:01 pm
Thank you Gordon! The word is in, surgery Tuesday.

I am blessed with good friends close by as well as far away. Adding insult to injury, landlord gave short notice on my shop becoming a parking lot, and some great friends helped me to move to a new location. Still have some arranging to do, but today will be finishing up by bringing in my kayaks and installing hoists in the rafters.

[Linked Image from carolinadualsporters.files.wordpress.com]

Posted By: Gordon Gray Re: Your attention please - 03/05/21 9:10 pm
Bless each and every one of you.

Gordon in NC

Go fund me link for Robert (aka OB1)
Posted By: Gordon Gray Re: Your attention please - 03/07/21 8:09 pm
A message from Melissa Mott (aka Mama Mott)

"It's a very rare and beautiful thing when you get to take the love you've been given from someone and are able to give it back to them in return.
We Motts have had a LONG, HARD 9 years and I've told you all before, but man, mannnnnnnnnnnn, the support, love and encouragement you all have given us has seriously carried us.
I believe there are certain "divine appointments" in life. People you are SUPPOSED to meet or know.
You all and Robert Wilcox are on my list. At the tippy top.
Once you've dealt with cancer in your family, or yourself, you are a changed person. And you realize an island you are not.
You all have helped me learn to receive (which I told Robert, is WAYYYYY yonder harder than giving!). I learned it and embraced it and learned from it...and now it's my total honor to get to give just a smidgen of that love back.
We Motts started a Gofundme for Robert.
It would mean the world if you could click on the link, read through, offer him words of support, and if you could give, then share the fundraiser on your Facebook and to your friends and family. He needs us and you all taught me and mine how to be there for folks. I am forever grateful.
And don't forget to pray too! Anna Mott has been ON it.

Melissa Mott
Miss Anna's Handler, Personal Slave, and Chickfila Fetcher"

A link to the Gofundme site is in the reply above this one. Someone brought up ( thank you) that the site mentions the money goes to benefit Mellissa Mott.....well it does in a way but the funds raised go to Robert's family.

Gordon
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/09/21 11:59 am
Just wanted to say Thank You!

Aint so easy being on this side of the charity line.
I much prefer stroking the cheques rather than accepting them!
Posted By: Gordon Gray Re: Your attention please - 03/09/21 4:15 pm
Originally Posted by Ob1quixote
Just wanted to say Thank You!!

In my little world I think the MOST important thing is how we treat each other.

Good luck with the surgery ( today?) and the recovery.

Gordon in NC, USA
Posted By: Hugh Jörgen Re: Your attention please - 03/09/21 5:01 pm
+1

No charity.
Everyone pays it back and pays it forward.
Win/Win
Posted By: rocketgoldie Re: Your attention please - 03/09/21 6:12 pm
GOOD LUCK TO ALL,Keep safe.
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/10/21 1:59 am
recovering, didnt go as planned.
tumor is larger than thought
radiation/chemo to reduce it, then remove it
Posted By: Gordon Gray Re: Your attention please - 03/10/21 2:02 am
recovering, didnt go as planned. tumor is larger than thought radiation/chemo to reduce it, then remove it

Damnit........I'm assuming they will start that right away? Rough road.......sorry brother.

G
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/10/21 4:29 am
dunno, doc talked w wife while I was in recovery
making tracks

Posted By: Semper Gumby Re: Your attention please - 03/10/21 3:04 pm
Prayers on the way dude.
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/10/21 3:17 pm
Thank you sir!
Posted By: BeezaBryan Re: Your attention please - 03/10/21 4:13 pm
dunno, doc talked w wife while I was in recovery
making tracks

Wired for sound & vision!
Have they put 'shine in one of the IV bags?
If not, why not

Carry on carrying on smile

Best wishes from us in Old England
Posted By: BSA_WM20 Re: Your attention please - 03/10/21 10:49 pm
Ya cut a fine figure there
But no BI tee shirt, shame on you laughing
Posted By: Gordon Gray Re: Your attention please - 03/11/21 11:39 am
Originally Posted by BSA_WM20
Ya cut a fine figure there
But no BI tee shirt, shame on you laughing

I keep wanting to say something smart arse about Robert’s photo.......but we look so much alike......I don’t dare

I want to thank all of you that have taken the time to show support.

You’re healthy as a horse........until you’re not.

Thank you Robert for bringing this up.......most of us don’t like going to the doctor ( I know I don’t). I didn’t even have a primary care physician until I had my heart problems...( in my late 60s)...ignorance is/was bliss.

Lannis has the plan.....I remember when he lost his brother in law and I “think” that’s when he started talking about him getting regularly tested. We all “need” to do that......it is the smart move even if it’s not popular.

Hang tough Robert.......it’s going to be a challenge but you’re tough....tough enough to beat this.

Gordon in NC, USA
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/11/21 12:15 pm
I am home now, and not comfortable. The 2nd night was worse than the first.
The price for giving this thing a 9 year {+?} head start...

Wrote this to my club. Regretting the wings and beer, even if it wasnt prohibited, shoulda laid low.

"Home now, gonna get some chicken wings and beer. Hot sauce in my go bag saved breakfast, a bowl of grits, and lunch was actually pretty fair dining, certainly S&S cafeteria grade. I wolfed it down!

Robot laparoscopic surgery is cool. Having seen both laparoscopic and standard incision operation on my mother and my wife for their gall bladders, I was all on board. Afterwards, I'm still on board. Recovery is pretty damn good, after having your guts mechanically manipulated. Seriously, I was pulling laps on the floor level in the early hours of today.

Seeing the size of it by having enough viewpoints, it was too big. He took a big bit for further analysis and left markers to show suspicions spots in new imaging. Very happy with his performance.

Plan is to start by having a port installed and then chemo. Radiation may overlap some with chemo, and after radiation is complete, surgery to remove.

Happy with initial meetings with the oncologist, sounds like he has a plan, talked a good bit, we know where each is coming from.

I will have to believe it is operable until proven wrong.
Get your butts tested. I would love to have had to deal with what this was 9 years ago.

More news when there is some."
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/11/21 12:25 pm
Gordon couldnt be more right with the ignorance is bliss point.
Bliss, as with most nice things, comes with a cost.
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: Your attention please - 03/12/21 1:47 pm
Robert, good luck on you journey into the unknown...It will not be routine, lol..
Well, since we are disussing digestive system cancer..For the last 18 months I have been dealing with Esophageal cancer. I was not a typical candidate for this diease so it was a shocker....My reward for living a healthy life style,lol....
This type of cancer is very lethal once it spreads like mine that is now Stage 4...I have recieved weeks of chemo and radiation and a brutal 9 hour surgury to remove most of my esophagus and part of my stomach that was formed into a new esophaus,.. Then later some nodules were seen in my lungs , spread of the existing cancer, not lung cancer...A bit more surgery....Now I am in a trial program with 1400 people worldwide trying out new drugs that may increase my odds of survival....There is no cure for me, it will kill in 2 to 7 years ,no one knows for sure..
I'm 73 so Medicare has paid the majority of the cost...We have actually paid a bit over $10,000 in co pays. This does not include the cost of the frequent 50 mile round trips to the hospital. I would never accept charity, it's my cross to bear from money we put aside for an emergency.....
In the meanwhile, I am not exactly the man I was but ,still able to work on my bike projects, eat a hot dog, and hug my wife....Many do not have this....Life goes on.....
Posted By: Gordon Gray Re: Your attention please - 03/12/21 2:35 pm
Hb, that’s a tough story to share. I have no words that could help no matter how bad I’d like to. Looks like you’ve had time ( and did some planning) to come to terms with it.

Charity.........something I think most of us don’t want to have to accept.....until we need to. I don’t look at helping a friend out as charity........it’s just the right thing to do.

I don’t want this to come off as Robert coming on here looking for a hand out. He came on here to say we NEED to be pro active with this stuff.......get checked out.

Melissa Mott started a donation drive for Robert, I just want to help any way I can. We’re all on the clock......none of us are going to get out of this alive. We all know that. Bless those who have been given a time line. I probably wouldn’t handle that very well

Good luck to you.......there are miracles and you could be in line for one.

Bless each and everyone of you that have taken the time to help.

Gordon Gray in NC, USA
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: Your attention please - 03/12/21 5:32 pm
Gordon, let me clarify, charity is something I give but do not accept....I understand that good people fall on hard times and need help .....
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: Your attention please - 03/12/21 10:36 pm
Robert, be prepared fot the "leper" treatment. when you get a serious disease, people just don't know how to react. They are afraid of the disease, afraid of seeing someone that might die....My wife , a few family and one great friend have made the effort.
You also will aquire a clearity of thinking that rises above the daily flow of horseshit.Cancer is a thief, it steals time, money and lifestyle....Facing your own mortality is sobering and only those faced with it can really feel it...So welcome to the club!
Posted By: Gordon Gray Re: Your attention please - 03/12/21 10:47 pm

For those of you that would like to help.......

Gordon Gray in NC, USA
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/12/21 11:07 pm
HB, thank you for your input! And I hope your journey is a good one!

Yeah, I am in the midst of a lot of new thinking, for sure, mortality hasnt been a big subject in my life so far..

Charity, I am finding out, is much harder to receive than to give. I was hesitant at first, wanted to see the big picture. Got a good look at it, and decided I could use the help. Hell, I'm already 3 weeks without turning out any billable work after a forced shop move in the middle of a motorcycle accident recovery and the health issue that popped up in the aftermath..

I'm not a big fan of accepting charity, but it became much more attractive when they asked me for the copay on the robot laparoscopic procedure on Tuesday, $3600.

We are all in a different place in life. I am impressed that you have been able to shoulder the load! I'm thankful I should have an injury settlement on the motorcycle accident to fall back on in addition to the GFM help. Is it wrong to hope there is enough left for a big mile eating street bike? I had one on October 16th.

In the end, I'm just trying to get by.
Posted By: Tridentman Re: Your attention please - 03/13/21 2:34 am
HB and Ob1quixote-----what can one say except to wish you both strength and stamina in going through a very difficult time.
I have not been through it but I lost my wife to cancer about 12 years ago after giving up my job and nursing her for 3 1/2 years--so I have some insight to what you are going through.
And to the rest of us---the lesson is to live life to the full. Live every day as though it is your last--because one day it will be.
Posted By: JubeePrince Re: Your attention please - 03/13/21 3:08 am
I derive strength from reading posts like these. Richard, Ob1, Hillbilly et al, you are true powers or example.

Thank you,

Steve
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: Your attention please - 03/13/21 6:57 am
Originally Posted by Tridentman
HB and Ob1quixote-----what can one say except to wish you both strength and stamina in going through a very difficult time.
I have not been through it but I lost my wife to cancer about 12 years ago after giving up my job and nursing her for 3 1/2 years--so I have some insight to what you are going through.
And to the rest of us---the lesson is to live life to the full. Live every day as though it is your last--because one day it will be.
Richard,
Richard.....Sometimes it can be harder on the caretaker than the patient.....But once I get past the treatment side effects like constant fatigue, insomnia diarrhea, coughing and so on,well, it's not so bad, lol...
I have new found friends, the nurses...They are truely angels....and the doctors who do care...I have a new strength, fear of no one. I mean what can they do ,hurt me? lol....Some asshole went road rage on me in the hospital ramp garage...Here I am some raging skinny old guy telling him to get back in his car before I shread his face and I got cancer and don't give a [***]...He took the advice and drove away....
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/13/21 7:29 am
lol!

dont mess with a guy who DGAF!

HB, you near Sinclairville NY?
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/13/21 7:41 am
<~~~~~knows the Bully Hill story, drinks the wine!
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: Your attention please - 03/13/21 11:56 am
lol!

dont mess with a guy who DGAF!

HB, you near Sinclairville NY?
I'm about 100 miles north west of there...
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/13/21 12:09 pm
Hell, sounds like my family's area.
Buffalo, Dunkirk, Fredonia, Canadaigua
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: Your attention please - 03/13/21 8:21 pm
We are all in a different place in life. I am impressed that you have been able to shoulder the load! I'm thankful I should have an injury settlement on the motorcycle accident to fall back on in addition to the GFM help. Is it wrong to hope there is enough left for a big mile eating street bike? I had one on October 16th.

In the end, I'm just trying to get by.
Since you asked, lol...a charity fund has been set up for you to pay present bills..Perhaps you may want not buy a bike wiith the settlement and bank it for future bills....
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/13/21 9:53 pm
Y'all get tested, and I'll see you out on the streets whenever.
Posted By: scott garland Re: Your attention please - 03/14/21 6:10 am
Prayers on the way God has a plan.
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: Your attention please - 03/14/21 2:46 pm
Originally Posted by scott garland
Prayers on the way God has a plan.
I'm spirital but not a follower of Jadeo Christian religion....To me, the misery of a terminal disease and treatments is just the bad side of the natural world, no different than any living creatue..
However, I do appreciate the offering of prayers ....thank you..
On a lighter note I can still ride and with some effort can kick start my bikes...Or press the start button on the Ducati.....Women tell me I look good...hmm, what's that all about..
Posted By: Gordon Gray Re: Your attention please - 03/15/21 10:28 am
Well.......this kinda fell off the tracks.

I take Robert’s comment about enough being left over for another motorcycle as part of his way of dealing with all of this........think positive, act positive, make plans.

Crap ( pun intended?) Have an accident ( not your fault) that takes away your nice road bike you just finished a beautiful paint job on......trying to heal up from that loss and then get slapped in the face with colon cancer. What’s a man to think about? Planning on how you’re going to get back on two wheels is better than worrying about all the other stuff you’re going to have to stomach over the next few months.

Well, that’s the way I’m looking at it. Dream/plan all you want brother, whatever it takes to get you through this. Honestly, I don’t give a damn what you do with my donation.......once it left my hands, it’s yours. Let’s plan on another weekend around the campfire and keep our fingers crossed we ALL can make it.

Gordon in NC, USA
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/15/21 11:44 am
I typed this. "I'm thankful I should have an injury settlement on the motorcycle accident to fall back on in addition to the GFM help. Is it wrong to hope there is enough left for a big mile eating street bike? I had one on October 16th."

I read that that I have an injury settlement coming to pay cancer bills, as well as some GFM donations. Got insurance too, see how that works out

And I did not say I was buying a bike. I said "is it wrong to hope there is enough left"
Might lend one to think that there is a list of priorities, and that buying a bike is not at the top of that list.

If it is wrong to hope there is enough left, I guess I am wrong.
Cancel the plans I had been putting together to visit family and places I'd lived as a kid on a grand motorcycle tour, east of the Mississippi?
Replace riding gear with sackcloth and ashes?
Just accept the loss of a machine I'd put 5K miles on last spring and summer amid covid restrictions?

And all this kerfluffle is exactly why I was hesitant to do a GFM.

But I am appreciative of the help, and especially yours Gordon, with your own son going through the same, just a few weeks ahead of my schedule.
You floored me,friend!

Maybe I will find a winning lottery ticket, and that Triumph Rocket III will magically appear? Not the new 2500cc, a used 2300 will do. Roadster with bags and ABS will do just fine, please and thank you!
Posted By: Gordon Gray Re: Your attention please - 03/15/21 12:10 pm
Damn brother......if you’re going to stoop low enough to ride a Triumph Rocket 3 you might as well just get a Road King or a Dodge 4 door power wagon. Just roll the window down and stick your head out. laugh

See???? .........some things NEVER change.

Gordon in NC, USA
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: Your attention please - 03/15/21 12:17 pm
I may have misjudged the intent of the conversation.....When the docs told me there is no cure and the disease will kill me in a few years.....I get just a little testy at times...Hoping OB gets better news from the doc's....
Posted By: Gordon Gray Re: Your attention please - 03/15/21 12:53 pm
Hb.......I’m not even going to pretend knowing what you or Robert are going through. I do know that you BOTH get a LOT of credit for how you’re each dealing with it. I’ve said it before, I probably wouldn’t be handling it very well.

You sir can get as testy as you want as far as I’m concerned.

I don’t pray but hope/wish the best for BOTH of you.

Gordon
Posted By: Tridentman Re: Your attention please - 03/15/21 1:33 pm
I think in the early days after a diagnosis such as this your old priorities linger on for a while.
It takes some time to adjust to the new priorities which have your health as number one.
One of my favorite sayings is " If you haven't got your health then everything else is horse [***]".
Best wishes to both Tony and Robert.
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: Your attention please - 03/15/21 2:14 pm
We were driving to look at an old VW Beetle for sale when the doc called about the endoscope results...I pulled over and listened as he told me the biopsies were cancer and he was making an appointment for me at the Wilmot cancer center....
I remember having no reaction, my wife the same, we somehow knew this......Many months later the doc pulled close to me and said there is no longer any chance of a cure, I didn't react, just asked her how much time is left and how treatments may improve the situation. The familar nurses tell me to ease up on the tough guy routine....
I work on the A10 project and wonder If I will croak before it's finished, likely not...I think about my wife and this is the only time I shed tears...
In a odd way I wonder if the moment I die ,if it's an experience not to be missed.
Currently I have no fear, I believe OB1 and most of you would feel the same if in the same situation..
I just pissed away 500 bucks on an 89 Yamaha 350 Warrior Quad..It has a hand operated clutch unlike most ATV's. It also has a engine seized from sitting for many years in a dry shed....In a few days I can start assembling the BSA engine...My wife worked as a cook for many years so the food is tasty....She likes taking care of me despite I'm fully functional...
My life in some ways is better than ever...just forget about the bad while the good is good....
Posted By: No Name Man Re: Your attention please - 03/15/21 2:54 pm
What's happening to you two makes me, and probably all of us, stop and think. Live life as fully as you can
Posted By: Irish Swede Re: Your attention please - 03/15/21 3:48 pm
Death is a part of life. I quit fearing it over twenty years ago.

I have had several near-death experiences, and am living with a mechanical heart valve and a pacemaker.

Live every day as if it is your LAST, because one day, it WILL be.

Your obituary will be your "last word" in this world, so write it yourself, so you know it will be correct.
Posted By: Hugh Jörgen Re: Your attention please - 03/15/21 4:14 pm
A visit to a pediatric oncology ward opens your eyes.
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: Your attention please - 03/15/21 4:17 pm
No obit, no body on display, creamation asap.Being a vet my surviors can request an honor guard. It's all in my will...if people want to have a memorial it's their choice...
Posted By: rick e. Re: Your attention please - 03/15/21 5:44 pm
"The Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires private health insurers to cover recommended preventive services such as colonoscopies without any patient cost-sharing."
Posted By: henryanthony Re: Your attention please - 03/15/21 7:21 pm
My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer about 4 years ago. Up until that time, we felt that cancer was for other people - not us! When we arrived at the University of Michigan Cancer Center for her first chemo treatment we were stunned by the number of people in line ahead of us. And it's busy like that all day every day. When we finally got past the chemo we moved on to radiation for six weeks of daily treatments. Weekends were off. Radiation treatments were given at a facility where one of our best friends in the world was hospitalized and being treated for leukemia. We lost him. Along the way I lost three brothers in law to various cancers. Last year, another best friend of ours lost two brothers and a sister in the span of six months. It has been a rough patch but at least my wife remains free of cancer.

Today, we were informed my niece was hospitalized in anticipation of giving birth to her new baby boy! grin

And, so it goes...
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/15/21 7:55 pm
Originally Posted by rick e.
"The Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires private health insurers to cover recommended preventive services such as colonoscopies without any patient cost-sharing."

Mine wasnt free. The GI clinic asked for $1000 in "anticipated insurance deductible"
Squawked a bit...they ended up with a much lesser sum.

Free?
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/15/21 8:00 pm
Oh, and GG, the Rocket IIi is the answer to the question "With the same opportunity to twist the throttle to escape that red light runner, what bike would have been in the next county instead of getting hit behind my leg?"

Big power, hopefully a fairly normal seating position.
No crotch rockets, highway pegs and floorboarders need not apply.
Posted By: MikeG Re: Your attention please - 03/15/21 8:19 pm
Bob-AKA Howard Inough -has a 2300 R3. My riding is not the best but even on my 1250 Bandit I can struggle to keep up with him in the twisties.
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/15/21 8:35 pm
My line through that accident was all but straight, and I truly feel the Rocket would have been gone.'
I was very fortunate they hit the bike and not me.

Next time I prefer they not hit the bike either!
Posted By: ricochetrider Re: Your attention please - 03/15/21 8:48 pm
Damn, dudes. Just read through all this. Typed a bunch of words then deleted them. Probably woulda come off as trite anyway.
Y'all hang in there. Best luck with it all.
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/15/21 8:54 pm
Thanks bud, do that delete thing a lot myself.

just did it again!

Thank you!
Posted By: Gordon Gray Re: Your attention please - 03/15/21 10:13 pm
I think that for those who know me....they know...I've always treated/thought of this site as "family". Puts me on the outs with the tech folks sometimes but I can live with it. I've never been a mechanic even though I do like wrenching.(sometimes) It always amazes me when something I've worked on actually runs. By design this site has slowly moved away from that and I'm okay with it....so what am I getting at?

IMO this thread is more "family" than "tech". Does my heart good to see the replies and the support. Reminds me why I've checked in on this site every day for at least a couple of decades. Bless you all for being you and for being here.

Ob........okay I take back what I said about the R3..(kinda)....I have to remember you were on a leadwing when you got hit so your taste in bikes is sorta suspect. laugh

Gordon in NC, USA
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/15/21 10:24 pm
L.
O.
L.
!

Do like my big bikes, and my small bikes too.
I like bikes.

Hope to have the 441 back on the lift soon! At the old shop...

Posted By: MikeG Re: Your attention please - 03/16/21 1:47 am
Originally Posted by Gordon Gray
Ob........okay I take back what I said about the R3..(kinda)....I have to remember you were on a leadwing when you got hit so your taste in bikes is sorta suspect. laugh

Gordon in NC, USA

We all have our dark side Gordon laugh
Posted By: Gordon Gray Re: Your attention please - 03/16/21 10:29 am
Originally Posted by MikeG

Gordon in NC, USA

We all have our dark side Gordon laugh

Oh yes......I’m giving him a hard time and I own and ride a Shadow RS ( reliable and cheap) 2- XS650s ( just cheap) and some small Honda’s. ( reliving old memories) Oh!!!! and my favorites are my BSA unit singles. I NEVER said I had good taste in motorcycles. laugh I consider it my anti-thief strategy........own/ride what absolutely no one else wants!!!! 😂

Gordon Gray in NC, USA
Posted By: MikeG Re: Your attention please - 03/16/21 12:45 pm
Anything kickstart is anti theft today...throw in manual spark advance for good measure and no one under 65 will figure it out.
Posted By: Gordon Gray Re: Your attention please - 03/17/21 2:42 pm
I heard through the Mott grapevine that there was a problem with installing Robert’s port yesterday???

Looks like it was rescheduled for Friday??

Gordon
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/17/21 3:51 pm
yup, they didnt line things up correctly, Friday is port day
Posted By: Gordon Gray Re: Your attention please - 03/17/21 7:45 pm
yup, they didnt line things up correctly, Friday is port day

Bless each and everyone of you........Gordon in NC, USA
Posted By: Gordon Gray Re: Your attention please - 03/20/21 1:34 am
Copied from Melissa's Facebook

Ok peeps!
Update. Need your prayers and support! 💜
Robert’s port surgery went well today, and he’s back home, in minimal pain from the surgery.
On a more serious note, a talk with his oncologist today has revealed that he has some lymph nodes affected that showed up on the PET scan that no one suspected and some other issues he’s dealing with. So they are tweaking his chemo a bit from the original plan and really tailoring his cocktail to target exactly what he needs.
Next week will be a week full of appointments and chemo infusions begin Tuesday.
He’s tired tonight and processing all this info coming at him, along with the new developments.
Your support means everything.
All love, prayers, and donations are greatly accepted and greatly appreciated!!

https://gofund.me/3b6c6fc3

Gordon in NC, USA
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: Your attention please - 03/21/21 1:00 pm
A port placement is a simple procedure, only the few minutes grafting to a vein is exacting and why it's done in an operating room.. Removal is normally done in a Dr's clinical exam room.
Thinking that OB1's docs had a problem with this is hoping the same docs don't do his bowel surgery... crazy wink grin
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/24/21 3:48 am
Made it through the first chemo treatment. Not fun at all, but not the bad day I have read about some experiencing.

Needle biopsy tomorrow for the lymph node by my collar bone.
Needs to be a negative, or they start throwing around the Stage 4 game plan.
Posted By: Gordon Gray Re: Your attention please - 03/24/21 12:27 pm
Thanks for the update Robert. Fingers crossed the test comes out in your favor. I can only imagine what’s going on in your head. Positive thoughts.......couldn’t hurt.

Gordon
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/24/21 1:07 pm
I am striving to keep my mind clear of negative thoughts through the miracles of modern {and ancient} medicine. I avoid excessive google and youtube searches. I find it easier to walk in blissfully ignorant.

While I readily acknowledge I havent hit "horror story" level of suck yet, this hasnt happened without a healthy serving of suck
Shut my old shop down 5 weeks ago to prepare for a move with no exact date {landlord gave me free time if I could get in before March 1st}
Started moving 4 weeks ago, all in place now. but in need of fine tuning that starting work would clear up.

In the meantime, no work has passed through the shop. Began looking for some last week, hoping I havent lost my long standing accounts. This week was lost to doctor appointments and the start of chemo, and I'm glad of it, but it must change.

With my life tied to the proximity of a restroom, and the restroom at the new shop being communal and 160ft away, makes it hard to get anything done.
I "go" 1-5 times an hour...

Will be a whole lot different when that tumor bleed is stopped, but no one has any idea when that may happen.
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: Your attention please - 03/24/21 1:17 pm
Made it through the first chemo treatment. Not fun at all, but not the bad day I have read about some experiencing.

Needle biopsy tomorrow for the lymph node by my collar bone.
Needs to be a negative, or they start throwing around the Stage 4 game plan.
You get the Folfox/Oxaliplatin chemo? The side effects build up over time but usually not too severe for men..I have been through it several times.....I got stage 4 and they usually add capecitabine to the mix.It's a nasty drug taken orally or infusion...It has shrunk the my metastic nodules but it becomes a maintenance drug as there is no cure...
a little scarcasm.., I got cancer that started in the esophagus, and yours in the rectum...but the same drugs are used for treatment...
Good luck, you are not alone
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/24/21 1:24 pm
HBB, they are pumping Irinotecan, Oxaliplatin and Fluorouracil, one of them came with its own 48 hour pump that will be removed tomorrow, along with a consultation with the radiation doc.
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: Your attention please - 03/24/21 10:41 pm
Folfox is a similar witches brew .I dislike the cold sensitivity....I also had the pump for the first chemo rounds last year. It caused some nausea for a few days after the pump was removed..For me some cannibus worked as well as the prescribed meds...I have a NY medical marijuana card ,but the stuff is expensive in the licensed dispenseries. It's easier and less expensive to buy it from friends who grow..
Posted By: MikeG Re: Your attention please - 03/25/21 5:56 pm
Robert and H'Billy Bike-My hat is off to both of you. I really don't know how I would (will) face such a threat to my mortality and maintain the objectivity you both are displaying.
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: Your attention please - 03/25/21 6:34 pm
I accepted this crap will kill me...The unknown is when....But your cause of death is uknown? Could be a slow lingering death from congestive heart failure , heart disease is still the number one cause of death. Or any other of the many horrible ways to die.....Depressed yet? grin
Posted By: MikeG Re: Your attention please - 03/25/21 7:57 pm
Actually my plan involves a bottle of single malt scotch a running bike and a closed garage door when I can no longer function at a self sufficent level.
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: Your attention please - 03/25/21 10:22 pm
It's not all hard guy stuff, I do have moments when I shed a tear ...When the end comes I don't want miss it...
Posted By: rick e. Re: Your attention please - 03/25/21 10:43 pm
Actually my plan involves a bottle of single malt scotch a running bike and a closed garage door when I can no longer function at a self sufficent level.

If said act involves starting your BSA A10....you will have plenty of time.
Posted By: Lannis Re: Your attention please - 03/25/21 11:24 pm

If you can still get a bike running, it's a damn sight too soon by a long chalk ..... !

Lannis
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/26/21 12:13 am
Hasnt been a great day here.
Turns out hiccups are a side effect. Too many hours.

Still, I have heard stories of worse.

Decided a proper hash over rice will be dinner, daughter just happens to work for one of the better known BBQ joints in the state!
Family discount!
Posted By: Irish Swede Re: Your attention please - 03/26/21 1:05 am
Are steroids a part of your treatment?

When I had to take them I could kiss my sleep good-bye.
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/26/21 1:19 am
yes, quite a cocktail they put together
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/26/21 1:26 am
And, BBQ hash fixed the hiccups!
Vinegar based
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: Your attention please - 03/26/21 2:58 pm
I used to eat spicey or seasoned foods, but not for the last year as my rebuilt stomach don't like it.
Posted By: ricochetrider Re: Your attention please - 03/26/21 3:19 pm
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike
I accepted this crap will kill me...The unknown is when....But your cause of death is uknown? Could be a slow lingering death from congestive heart failure , heart disease is still the number one cause of death. Or any other of the many horrible ways to die.....Depressed yet? grin

Death= the only *certain* thing in life. Nobody gets out alive.

After burying too many friends to count, losing a fiance in a car crash, and being close to death a couple times myself, I've come to accept death as a natural part of the life cycle. Birth, Life, & Death- the great triple play for all living things.

I prefer to kill myself slowly. So far I've put most of 64 years into my effort, although by now I've slacked off considerably. At this juncture I'm more prolonging the agony rather than actively defying death. laughing

Seriously tho, I hope I'm man enough to face up to whatever my fate may be when the time comes. It's important to have some grace in it all- and both y'all are doing a good job of that.

thumbsup
Posted By: rick e. Re: Your attention please - 03/26/21 3:58 pm
Originally Posted by Lannis

If you can still get a bike running, it's a damn sight too soon by a long chalk ..... !

Lannis

It's almost like this should be a "Spider" cartoon with a guy in the garage leaping on the A10 kickstart and two guys outside making a comment...
Posted By: edunham Re: Your attention please - 03/26/21 4:10 pm
I've always thought that the best way to go would be to pull a Rockefeller. Kind of hard on the wife or other participant though.

Ed from NJ
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: Your attention please - 03/26/21 4:50 pm
Suicide is not an option for me with this disease.....
Posted By: MikeG Re: Your attention please - 03/26/21 6:02 pm
when I can no longer function at a self sufficent level.

That right there is the key to it. Self sufficiency. Define it any way you like but I've seen my share of friends and relatives unable to feed themselves and even less able to deal with other bodily functions. We all come into the world that way but I don't want to go out like that.
Posted By: rick e. Re: Your attention please - 03/26/21 7:25 pm
So my dad spends a month in the hospital and we were told there is nothing else they can do and he needs to go into into a 24/7 nursing home and then....

That was two years ago and he just bought an ATV and still drives the car down to the pub (bar) for fish n chips (Fish fry) and still hauls wood to heat their house in the woods.

Yes, he went from bedridden, to a wheel chair, to a walker, to walking, to driving, to romping thru the trails on a ATV. And everything went into remission, for no reason at all. None that is natural.....

He turns 90 in a couple of weeks.
Posted By: Lannis Re: Your attention please - 03/26/21 7:59 pm
when I can no longer function at a self sufficent level.

That right there is the key to it. Self sufficiency. Define it any way you like but I've seen my share of friends and relatives unable to feed themselves and even less able to deal with other bodily functions. We all come into the world that way but I don't want to go out like that.

For me, it's not so much "self-sufficiency" but ability to communicate.

My view of myself and my interaction with the world centers more about my relations and communications with others, and not "how much help do I need?" I've had relatives who defined the value of their life based on whether they could drive a car or not - if they couldn't, then they had no value, in their own eyes, as a human being because they were no longer "self-reliant". And so they would try to drive long past the time when they were capable of it, their pride and their idea of what makes them a "man" making themselves a nuisance and danger to everyone around them.

I used to be able to see sharply without glasses. My body used to produce enough essential stuff like thryroid juice (or whatever it is) without help from pills - now I take 4 every day. About 50% of my hearing is gone in my left ear, and I don't want to be cupping my hand behind my ear and hollering "EH? WHAT'S THAT YOU SAY"? all day; I'll need a hearing aid at some point. I may need a defibrillator or pacemaker when the doctor says so, or a metal and teflon knee or hip. Someone may have to carry me in the car rather than me steering it ... no big deal. I may have had enough of fixing my own meals and someone will bring them to me, or maybe I'll hire someone to clean up behind me.

To me, that's all a natural progression; none of it defines who I am as a person. But my "Living Will" advance directive already says that when I can no longer communicate with others, to pull the plugs and tubes, turn up the morphine, and let me go.

I had a friend who kept his wife alive in a hospital bed in his house, feeding her baby food or through a tube, for 4 years because he thought it wasn't right to "let her go". For 4 years, she did nothing but scream and moan in the bed, completely out of it, unable to communicate, unable to recognize anyone, completely out of her mind. I'm not going through THAT, nor is anyone around me.

But as long as I can peck out a Monty Python quote on a keyboard ("Ah think she's dead" .... "NO, I'M NOT!"), or listen to my grandchildren tell me when they expect their next child, even if I can't move out of bed to hear it, I'm going to be WAY too interested in what's happening next to want to pull any plugs!!

Lannis (Nurse, I'm done with the computer today - what's for dinner?)
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: Your attention please - 03/27/21 10:54 am
It’s easier to discuss falling on your sword when your existence is not threatened. Leaving your family or friend’s a gruesome sight that will be the last memory of you to clean up is not me..If it’s pre arranged with dignity, that’s a personal choice. Either way, it’s none of my business.
A guy we knew well was a drinker and tobacco user. He never saw doctors and developed a bad throat cancer.He was told the situation was beyond medicine but drugs and spiritual help was available. His daughter told us he used the pain killers and starved himself to death.He called her and said it was time.She escorted him to the hospice, he died that night...
My wife swore to a blood oath there will be no hospice for me.I will be at home at the end.
But who knows, the docs are pleased with the results of the trial chemo drugs...My immune system is strong . I may have more time than I think if the treatments don’t kill me first.
Posted By: Gordon Gray Re: Your attention please - 03/27/21 1:45 pm
I'm only allowing two options.........pass in my sleep with a smile on my face or take a bullet from a jealous boyfriend as I crawl out of a bedroom window.........period.

You guys are depressing me..........I love ya but damn.

Gordon in NC, USA
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/27/21 2:58 pm
Well, I'm not quite at that point yet.
Still coming to grips with this new new reality.
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: Your attention please - 03/27/21 4:16 pm
I'm only allowing two options.........pass in my sleep with a smile on my face or take a bullet from a jealous boyfriend as I crawl out of a bedroom window.........period.

You guys are depressing me..........I love ya but damn.

Gordon in NC, USA
Once you get the curse it’s not depressing......
on a good note the A10 project is moving along. The crank is being balanced, Doug Wood is finishing up the magneto and I put in a new 12 volt field coil and armature in the generator....The beat 87 Yamaha 350 Warrior I just picked up got a new cylinder ,piston, new stator and pick up to replace the fried up mess. Puttin in new brakes as we speak. It has bike controls, hand clutch on the left bar, front brake on right, 6 speed foot shift and rear brake on the right..my wife says it’s hers, she can drive anything with a clutch lever or pedal but hates balancing bikes at low speed....
Posted By: linker48x Re: Your attention please - 03/27/21 8:52 pm
Kinda getting back to the original subject of this thread, best wishes again, ob1, I know it’s hard to deal with all this stuff and especially hard to come to terms with it, and I wish you the best, one survivor to another. Keep at it!
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/27/21 10:03 pm
Thank you Linker48x!

Look like i'm on the other side of this treatment, man, what a ride.
Posted By: Gordon Gray Re: Your attention please - 03/30/21 10:45 am

Gordon Gray in NC, USA

Update????? Not sure if no news is good news?

Positive thoughts.......fingers crossed.

Mama Mott posted a short update on Facebook but with few details, basically Robert is handling his treatments like a solider. Not sure about the needle biopsy.

Help if you can.

Gordon
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/30/21 12:51 pm
No results from the biopsy yet.
Dunno about how I'm handling it!
Transfused on Tuesday, sent home with a pump administering another chemo, it was removed Thursday.
Side effects were light at the beginning, but ramped up to a peak Friday/Saturday.
Got out a little yesterday, shoulda stayed home like I am today.
Tumor had moved my bladder around and was/is quite painful, sensing a change down there, hoping it is for the better.

Next treatment on the 6th, with a send-home pump.
Not really looking forward to it
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: Your attention please - 03/30/21 1:39 pm
I've been getting chemo infusions on and off for about 1-1/2 years....Its never fun....I also take oral chemo pills and because I cannot swallow the large pills, they get dissolved in water and I drink it, twice a day...horrible taste...
It gets worse when they shove the wood slivers under your finger nails.... grin
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/31/21 12:04 pm
Hey GG, how is your son doing?
Posted By: Gordon Gray Re: Your attention please - 03/31/21 12:49 pm
Hey GG, how is your son doing?

This is his last week for chemo......so far so good as long as he can keep busy.

Fingers crossed you get only GOOD news from now on.

Gordon
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 03/31/21 12:51 pm
How many treatments did he end up doing?
Posted By: Gordon Gray Re: Your attention please - 04/02/21 11:08 am
How many treatments did he end up doing?

Sorry for the late reply. New grand baby (our FIRST!) youngest sons new job and a litter (7) of puppies to foster ( oh and I still have a full time job) things have been hectic around here.

To be honest I’ve probably said to much already about my sons situation, he’s pretty private about it. Basically he’s had the operation and the doctor says they got it all. ( they probably tell everybody that) This week is the last week of a 5 week treatment. He gets a couple of weeks off then on to 5-6 weeks of another treatment. I’m not 100% sure what the totals are.

He’s in good spirits as long as he keeps busy. He teaches law at a college level and has been doing that from home. He’s also just purchased two homes, one to live in and one to rent and he’s remodeling both of them so he has plenty to keep him busy.

Cancer has taken a LOT of my family members. ( I HATE cancer) So far I’ve been spared. I got the heart disease genes instead.

Fingers crossed you only get GOOD news from now on.

Gordon in NC
Posted By: koncretekid Re: Your attention please - 04/02/21 12:17 pm
On a more optimistic note, I had 6 chemo treatments in 2005 for stage 4 lymphoma, 4 more chemo treatments which involved 4 days at a time in a hospital along with 6 days recuperation in 2007, followed by bone marrow (stem cell) transplant in June of 2008. I've been healthy ever since.

But I have recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer with a Gleason score 7 (intermediate grade).

There is always hope that our doctors, health care professionals, and scientists will come up with another miracle to save us when we think all our options are used up.

Never give up!

Tom
Posted By: Gordon Gray Re: Your attention please - 04/03/21 1:35 pm
Originally Posted by koncretekid
snip.....

There is always hope that our doctors, health care professionals, and scientists will come up with another miracle to save us when we think all our options are used up.

Never give up!

Tom

Here!!! Here!!!

Gordon
Posted By: Gordon Gray Re: Your attention please - 04/03/21 1:40 pm

Gordon Gray in NC, USA

Bringing this link for donations back to the top.

Bless you all that have taken the time to help.

Gordon
Posted By: Gordon Gray Re: Your attention please - 04/07/21 8:58 pm

Gordon Gray in NC, USA

Bringing this link for donations back to the top.

Bless you all that have taken the time to help.

Gordon

UPDATE FROM MELISSA MOTT ( aka Anna's mom)

Today Robert had his second chemo infusion and got news about the lymph node biopsy he had a bit back. Seems the cancer has spread at this point to his lymph nodes near his collar bone and he is now a stage 4.
With that, though, is good news in that he weathered the first chemo round. Not easily, but he made it, and it was TOUGH! It even included a 40 hour hiccup session. Can you imagine???
Chemo is no joke. Those of us who have had it or taken care of someone who has, KNOW how brutal it can be.
Please leave Robert some encouragement or send him some if you’re personal friends! Cancer is not a solo journey. He needs us!
Please donate if you can as well as he needs our financial support too. Cancer is expensive!!!!!
And please pray. Anna asks that specifically.
Enjoy this little tidbit from Robert and a pic of him today getting his infusion!

"At the begiining of this adventure, I was advised to get a certain prescription numbing cream to apply to the port for infusion days. It was called in, and I went over to pick it up just before the first chemo.
When I went in, he knew just who I was. He had been helpful in the past, and pulls me over. He gave me the benefits of his experience with chemo! I was floored that he knew me among the many, many customers he sees each day!
David Sohn Of CVS Pharmacy #16730, thank you for your advice and going far beyond good customer service!"
https://gofund.me/3b6c6fc3

Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 04/21/21 4:12 pm
Just finished 3rd treatment, except for the pump that come off tomorrow.
They adjusted the mix, reducing one component and adding another.
Worst session yet, [***] hits like an 8lb sledge.
New chem can cause rash, acne outbreak and sun sensitivity, and finger/toe nail pain!
Where do they come up with these?

Thankfully, I have learned some about how to apply the meds they give for effects, staying ahead of the really bad effects.

Plan is for a scan after the 6th treatment, see how things are coming along, maybe have a plan for the future.

Walk out on the porch this morning and screamed at the sky.
"DAMMIT, I SHOULD BE RIDING A MOTORCYCLE SOMEWHERE, RIGHT NOW!!!"
Posted By: Lannis Re: Your attention please - 04/21/21 7:44 pm
I'm thinking about you when I'm riding mine, so I'm riding one for you! Always have a plan for the future!

Lannis
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 04/21/21 7:56 pm
Would love to be you guys for the TSMR!
Same weekend {as always} as my club's Dual Sport event, and I wont be making either, dammit.

With this thing going on, distance to and availability of a toilet govern all my travel plans, with a 1 hour maximum interval.
Just a trip to hang around at camp, not happening.
Posted By: Gordon Gray Re: Your attention please - 04/21/21 9:13 pm
I'm not trying to make light of it but.......my best friend since the 6th grade had brain cancer. First time around they removed it ( it was the size of a flattened out softball between his brain and skull). A couple of years later....it came back. I was with him in the hospital when he took his last breath. We stayed that close for all those years......priceless to have a friend like that.

When he was going through a BUNCH of treatments........we'd be on the phone and he'd say "Brother, I got to go.......I'm having labor pains" he would literally drop the phone and off to the bathroom he'd go. We would laugh about it next time we talked.

I can't imagine dealing with it all. Kinda wish there was something I could do........like a magic wand to wave and ALL cancer would go away and NEVER come back.

Hang in there Robert.......let us know if there's anything we can do.

Your friend in NC........just up the road......Gordon
Posted By: Lannis Re: Your attention please - 04/21/21 9:14 pm
Same weekend {as always} as my club's Dual Sport event, and I wont be making either, dammit.

With this thing going on, distance to and availability of a toilet govern all my travel plans, with a 1 hour maximum interval.

Well, it COULD be made to work! If you can get to the Blowing Rock Inn in one-hour stages from your place, you can be surrounded by Britbikes and Britbikers for two or three days, bathroom never more than 10 steps away, some of us will hang out with you all weekend including Saturday, you can look at bikes, smell bike exhaust, listen to bikes, tell bike stories, hear bike stories, talk BS, listen to BS .... There's everything to be said for it! Excellent therapy, I'd say ....

BUT (and this is a big BUT with spikes and buzzers on) only you can decide if the physical things will allow it ....

Lannis
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 04/22/21 12:43 am
Originally Posted by Lannis

Well, it COULD be made to work! If you can get to the Blowing Rock Inn in one-hour stages from your place, you can be surrounded by Britbikes and Britbikers for two or three days, bathroom never more than 10 steps away, some of us will hang out with you all weekend including Saturday, you can look at bikes, smell bike exhaust, listen to bikes, tell bike stories, hear bike stories, talk BS, listen to BS .... There's everything to be said for it! Excellent therapy, I'd say ....

BUT (and this is a big BUT with spikes and buzzers on) only you can decide if the physical things will allow it ....

Lannis

Oh, it sounds like a grand weekend! But, the elephant in the room is 2 groups wanting my presence. You guys, and my club. Last time I saw any of my club was at our event in January, 1.5 hour trip, hung around in camp all weekend, and it was rather obvious I was having significant issues.

If, and I mean IF, I were to come, I would have to make appearances at both Blowing Rock and Chester SC. Prefer Saturday for my club, and Friday {maybe Thursday too?} for TSMR.

Charleston to Blowing Rock = about 5 hours, guessing at least 6 stops for bathroom breaks, a PITA.
Blowing Rock to Chester SC = about 2.5 hours
Chester to Charleston = about 3 hours.

A lot of road time, a lot of bathroom hunting...and, uh, um, mistakes arent deadly, but a huge PITA.
Hint: when blood and blood plasma are introduced to the colon, the gut flora will digest and create gas, which pressurizes over to pool that gathers at the"back door". TMI? Sorry, but part of my new new reality!

And to be quite honest, I am driving minimally, but cant imagine such a trip with the chemo effects in play. And the meds...

Financially, I need to stay home. Doesnt sit right with me to be asking for money and spending it like that. Those funds are semi dedicated to rent on my workshop, which is producing no income. 210 feet from my shop to the bathroom.

As much as I'd love to see my club guys and see you guys, I just dont see it happening.
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 04/22/21 12:51 am
The dual sport event includes a lunch for the riders. This ride has become famous for the Church Lady Desserts. The ride supports a very old country church, and sadly, age is catching up with the congregation, so there are fewer and fewer Church Ladies each year.

One of the favorites is banana pudding. I used to go in there and play Taste Test Czar, and try to scam some early sweets! Best part was pitting one Church Lady's nana puddin against another. They'd be forcing me to eat...and judge...dangerous territory my friends!

Anyways, my wife has stepped in to help, being a church lady down here. We make 2 pots, one for the riders Sunday, one for the club for Saturday night dinner. Wife has agreed to reprise her role, and I already have arrange for transport, with a trusted clubmember.

Trusted to NOT do any early sampling!
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 04/22/21 1:12 am
But I would love for you guys to meet my Emotional Support Dachshund!
Rare standard dachshund.

Dammit, no pets.

Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 05/24/21 12:09 am
Got some good news!
At each treatment, they run blood tests.
A certain cancer marker would show 0 to 5 in a healthy person.
At the beginning of treatments, I scored a 35.

At last Tuesday's treatment, that score was a 9!

Enough change to trigger a CT scan next Friday, maybe some fine tuning of the regimen?!?

I heard they now suggest colonoscopies at 45 now.
Get your asses checked.
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 06/02/21 3:34 am
And then some not so good news.
When I last posted, I was having some pain issues.
Ended up going in on that Monday, they decided to bump up the scan since I was in there.

Scan showed what they thought was an infection in the colon.
And 10 spots on my liver.

Those spots werent there when I started chemo, 10 odd weeks back.

Blood sent off to test the cancer's DNA.

New plan this Friday, assuming the tests get back.
Posted By: Gordon Gray Re: Your attention please - 06/03/21 11:37 am
Hang in there........sounds so lame but it’s all I got bud.

Let us know if there’s anything we can do to help.

I don’t pray.......but know there are folks praying for you every day.

Fingers crossed in NC.......why does bad stuff happen to good people?

Gordon
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 06/03/21 12:56 pm
Appointments today and tomorrow, hoping for a new and effective plan of attack!
Posted By: Lannis Re: Your attention please - 06/03/21 1:42 pm
Your positive spirit really is an encouragement and inspiration to any of us who might be facing a similar situation in future. None of us really knows what it will feel like when the doctor gives us that kind of news and we look in the mirror and think about what it means.

But YOU know, and it will mean a lot to someone who has that to face .... Thanks, and we'll hope and pray for the best for you. While you're working on a solution, you know how we like to talk, so don't hold back!

Lannis
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 06/03/21 6:16 pm
Pretty sure everyone deals with questions to their mortality differently. I try to be positive, but there are times when things go to a darker space.
Not much fun being there.

In the end, it will be what it is.

I appreciate having folks to talk to, and...

They say now to get tested starting at age 45,
SO GET YOUR ASSES TESTED!
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 06/10/21 7:31 pm
Going in the hospital Tuesday morning to install a temporary colostomy.
Tumor is significantly blocking the colon, causing a lot of pain.

Already stopped up a bit from an infection in there that started this pain session.

[video:youtube]
[/video]
Posted By: Gordon Gray Re: Your attention please - 06/10/21 7:49 pm
Going in the hospital Tuesday morning to install a temporary colostomy.
Tumor is significantly blocking the colon, causing a lot of pain.

Already stopped up a bit from an infection in there that started this pain session.

[video:youtube]
[/video]

Damnit……they know what they’re doing so I’m going with that. They have stuff to keep you from hurting………don’t go all John Wayne and refuse it. Let modern medicine and the associated chemicals do what they can. Hang in there brother… you got this.

Gordon
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 06/10/21 8:41 pm
They give me what I have, bottles and bottles.
Even took a request for a slightly weaker med that also doesnt give as much "medicine head".

I'm trying to remain fairly comfortable.
Dont care for medicine head!
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 07/02/21 10:56 pm
Tumor has been labeled terminal. Future treatments will be tougher, and for less advantage.
They say I may have a year.
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: Your attention please - 07/03/21 5:09 am
No one wants to hear that...it sucks....The docs told me I am terminal but here I am...As they say, one day at a time...
Posted By: koncretekid Re: Your attention please - 07/03/21 11:58 am
I've been thru two rounds of chemo plus bone marrow transplant and I've been told there's no cure for my disease, but I've never been told the "T" word, so I don't feel qualified to make any intelligent comment on your last post. But I will tell you that I, and all the other active members on this forum have you in our thoughts even if we are at a loss for words. Only two days ago as I was looking up at a clear blue sky and beautiful green forested horizon, I thought to myself, "what miracle of the universe has allowed me to live such a privileged life?"

Tom
Posted By: Gordon Gray Re: Your attention please - 07/03/21 12:12 pm
I figure we are all just waiting our turn. You are hard headed and stubborn....................................prove them wrong, it's been done before.

Any way I can help with those bucket list items you're thinking about checking off......just let me know.

Like the "kid" already said.......we have you and your family in our thoughts.

Gordon
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 07/04/21 10:33 am
Thank you guys!

Sorting through a lot of things these days, and while not a load of fun, went surprisingly smoothly. I guess I figured it would be going this way from the git-go, and had my head right for it.

Hoping to make a grand motorcycle tour, just have to get mile-eating appliance.
The insurance company has made no reasonable offer regarding the property damage or physical damage.
So, getting a road bike will have to wait for Jake to get off his useless ass and pay out for their admitted red light running driver.

Or do it on my DRZ400...
Posted By: Lannis Re: Your attention please - 07/04/21 12:37 pm

Well, for SURE let us know when you're on the road, where you're stopping, or whatever. You know that we'd love to make one or more of those stops into a mini-rally.....

Lannis
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 07/04/21 3:06 pm
No doubt!

Riding will have to wait for some symptoms to be fixed, until then it is just dreaming!
Posted By: Gordon Gray Re: Your attention please - 07/04/21 5:00 pm
No doubt!

Riding will have to wait for some symptoms to be fixed, until then it is just dreaming!

Dream.....plan.......don't give up. ( I know you won't)

I don't have a mile muncher.....but I do have a small cruiser.....2010 Honda RS750 ( the Shadow the Shadow owners hated) and if I mount the hard bags and Russel Day Long it's not the most embarrassing thing on the road ( my 250 w/cooler bags has that all tied up).........I could have it at your place in a matter of hours. Just say the word.

I've been looking at other options and they are out there........you just get to where you can ride......we can hash out the rest.

Gordon .....just up the road in NC
Posted By: Lannis Re: Your attention please - 07/04/21 7:27 pm
No doubt!

Well, see how the symptoms go ... if it's taking a while, we might just have to get together in or around Charleston .... !

Lannis
Posted By: linker48x Re: Your attention please - 07/04/21 7:29 pm
Beaming you some positive energy, from one survivor to another. Thinking of you.
Posted By: ricochetrider Re: Your attention please - 07/05/21 2:56 pm
Thank you guys!

Sorting through a lot of things these days, and while not a load of fun, went surprisingly smoothly. I guess I figured it would be going this way from the git-go, and had my head right for it.

The insurance company has made no reasonable offer regarding the property damage or physical damage.
So, getting a road bike will have to wait for Jake to get off his useless ass and pay out for their admitted red light running driver.

Or do it on my DRZ400...

You're welcome here any time, my work schedule is still loose enough to have some gaping holes in it for a while yet. By December > January work all have surpassed all kinds of "normal" and be heading into full-on crazy, however.
Posted By: Deadstiffcatt Re: Your attention please - 07/05/21 7:08 pm
Just sending my best in thoughts and prayers. Joe
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 07/05/21 10:03 pm
Thank you guys!
Posted By: Howard Inough Re: Your attention please - 07/13/21 4:16 pm
Dammit OB! I hadn't heard the news. I am looking forward to bringing a woods bike to Shady Valley, have you show me around the gravel roads a bit. We live in an age of medical miracles. See you soon
Posted By: Ob1quixote Re: Your attention please - 07/13/21 10:22 pm
Wisht I knew the gravel roads around Shady Valley, if they are anything like the lanes!

While I doubt I will be riding by then, there is an organized ride will do you just fine! Up to 7 routes now, varies from almost all paved to 60% gravel.
No trail on route, but some can be had at the local OHV trails.
Better have your man panties on if you go to ride those trails, probably better off not to unless you have knowledge of the place or a guide.
{former site of the Brown Mountain Lights enduro}
{for more fun, web search "Brown Mountain lights"}

https://carolinadualsporters.files.wordpress.com/2021/02/2021-blue-ridge-flyer.pdf

All proceeds benefit MD Anderson Cancer research!
Based out of Pineola NC

Semper Gumby, this one has your name on it too!
Y'all let me know if you go!
© Britbike forum