Britbike forum
Posted By: clive1 A10 rear wheel Change to QD gold star type - 02/11/21 11:06 am
HI Beeza Boys,
I want to convert my '62 A10 rear wheel set up, from the standard FWH to the QD gold star type set up,
are swing arms the same, in other words can I retain my original A10 s/arm,
+ are there any conversion kits out there,
do not need the wheel, only the centre hub, as would lace with S/S spokes,
would really appreciate any advice, and ideally someone here who has actually made this change to their A10
cheers guys
The swing arms are different. The QD type has the brake anchor on the left
In addition to the swing arm you would need to reconfigure the brake pedal. A friend was considering doing this conversion and has gathered all the parts but has yet to do the conversion. Replacing the swing-arm requires removing the transmission. Before you know it the whole bike is in pieces.
Clive: If you decide to change the swingarm you need to consider the diameter of the swingarm fork spindle. Your current spindle would be the large hollow type to accommodate the brake crossover shaft. The GS spindle is solid and thinner and the mounting holes in the frame are smaller.

Gordo
Another thing I forgot to mention; the swing arm for a QD wheel uses a smaller diameter pivot shaft. The conversion is not impossible but it will involve a fair amount of work and adaptation.
And the rims won't lace to the single side hub.
Thanks Guys for all the replies,
As I have some years ago converted the swing arm to solid bronze bushes and lined reamed them fitted taper roller steering head bearings and two way damped forks with Girling competition rear shocks, handles absolutely like it's on rails, (do not need to remove transmission to remove the swingarm incidentally), would have no problem fabricating the brake anchor bracket and welding onto the left side,
I know that the GS set up has the rear brake pedal fulcrum on the left and there is no crossover through the hollow spindle,
but I see no issues in retaining the original swingarm (with brake anchor mod) so retaining the benefit of the bronze bushed centre arrangement, I was not intending to use the original rims but lace new rims with polished stainless steel spokes to the QD hub,
Where does the "new" brake pedal pivot?, this will NOT have the rear set footrest set up, but retain the A10 touring position footrests
thanks guys for any further info
Cheers Clive
Have had the swing arm out to carry out bronze bush conversion (see more info below)
and DOES NOT require any removal of transmission.
© Britbike forum