Britbike forum
Just want to double check before I break something.. 5 bolts and 4 nuts? Engine rebuilt 10 years ago but never ran.
That is my counting. Could have corrosion on the four studs. Pour some Liquid Wrench or similar in the holes. Use a wood block or plastic hammer on solid parts such as the front head steady mount or intake runners. Some people feed cord in through the spark plug hole and use the piston to push up on the head.
Vibration, good quality penetrating oil, and time are your friends. Time means hours, maybe weeks, I have spent months. There was a long ago story on brit-iron of an engine retrieved from the bottom of a lake after many years. The owner went through this process for 2-3 years but it came apart. I just spent off and on for a week tapping and gently pulling on some bathroom fixtures in place since 1960. Came apart eazy peazy. But p-a-t-i-e-n-c-e.
Love all, rick
Originally Posted by DMadigan
Some people feed cord in through the spark plug hole and use the piston to push up on the head.
This has always worked for me. I've got soft rope that I put through each spark plug hole. Then, a slow movement on the kicker breaks it free.

I usually do the same with the barrels... leave the nuts and bolts finger tight in the head, loosen the nuts on the base of the barrels, push down on the kicker and it's good to go.
Got it! Last guy put RTV on the head gasket! Heat gun softened it enough to get it off
© Britbike forum