Britbike forum
Posted By: sloppyoil Bob Newby Belt Drives - 01/24/21 2:45 pm
Has anyone here purchased one and installed it? Are they worth the $$$$? Are they as they say, an easy swap with everything provided that you need? any modifications? Thanks Tom
Posted By: KevRasen Re: Bob Newby Belt Drives - 01/24/21 2:50 pm
For an A65 yes,yes,yes,no.
Posted By: Ian C Re: Bob Newby Belt Drives - 01/24/21 3:00 pm
I have one fitted to my 71 OIF A65 and it's the best thing I ever did.. The only thing, on the later casings with the cast in stator housing, you may have to dremel some clearance for the crank pulley / belt if I remember correctly.. I also removed completely the chain slipper adjuster screw and replaced the 2 inspection caps with some ventilated ones.
Posted By: Rick Dawsey Re: Bob Newby Belt Drives - 01/24/21 4:23 pm
For a BSA A10, a TR6, and a Commando, yes, yes no.
Caveat - in my life NOTHING is as easy as they say however.
Rick
Posted By: Allan G Re: Bob Newby Belt Drives - 01/24/21 9:08 pm
Got 3 kits, a racing one which is still awaiting its engine, one that’s covered a hard life on my lightning and it keeps working flawlessly (7000 miles I think) that’s on a 68, no mods needed at all on that.
And just fitting another one to the 71 A65 I’m building. As ian says the late castings are much beefier and you will need to remove some aluminium for the front pulley to clear but this isn’t a lot and doesn’t effect the structure of the alternator casting.

It’s a dry clutch so don’t use any oil, you’ll find it much lighter than the standard clutch despite having 6 springs and clutch slip will be a thing of the past.
Posted By: Kevin E Re: Bob Newby Belt Drives - 01/25/21 2:03 pm
Originally Posted by Allan G
Got 3 kits, a racing one which is still awaiting its engine, one that’s covered a hard life on my lightning and it keeps working flawlessly (7000 miles I think) that’s on a 68, no mods needed at all on that.
And just fitting another one to the 71 A65 I’m building. As ian says the late castings are much beefier and you will need to remove some aluminium for the front pulley to clear but this isn’t a lot and doesn’t effect the structure of the alternator casting.

It’s a dry clutch so don’t use any oil, you’ll find it much lighter than the standard clutch despite having 6 springs and clutch slip will be a thing of the past.

Do these kits have a 'cush drive' on the clutch Allan?
Posted By: Allan G Re: Bob Newby Belt Drives - 01/25/21 4:01 pm
Originally Posted by Kevin E
Originally Posted by Allan G

Do these kits have a 'cush drive' on the clutch Allan?

Not in the formal sense, its said that the belt adds some form of cush. To be completely honest I have not found any difference when riding compared to the standard setup.

The bearing arangement is far superior on the BNR and you don't get any issues with clutch wobble.
Posted By: Kevin E Re: Bob Newby Belt Drives - 01/26/21 12:23 pm
Not in the formal sense, its said that the belt adds some form of cush. To be completely honest I have not found any difference when riding compared to the standard setup.

The bearing arangement is far superior on the BNR and you don't get any issues with clutch wobble.[/quote]

Where can you get these kits in the UK?
Posted By: Zimm Re: Bob Newby Belt Drives - 01/26/21 5:28 pm
I installed a Newby belt drive on my 54 Golden Flash some years ago. It was an easy project and has worked flawlessly. Next up is a Nova 5 speed, when I can find the time.

Yes, it appears I have more money than sense when it comes to my bike. Probably true of many of us.
Posted By: Allan G Re: Bob Newby Belt Drives - 01/26/21 8:35 pm
Originally Posted by Kevin E

The bearing arangement is far superior on the BNR and you don't get any issues with clutch wobble.

Where can you get these kits in the UK?[/quote]

Direct from Bob Newby. Look up BNR Racing.
© Britbike forum