Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
Triumph 650/750 High-Output Alternator Kit
by The Bonneville Shop - 01/13/23 11:29 pm
New FAQ post
Missing edit button
by wrench136 - 05/30/22 2:57 pm
News & Announcements
Premium members! 🌟
by Morgan aka admin - 01/28/23 3:01 pm
Buy BritBike staff a coffee ☕️ or pint 🍺
by Morgan aka admin - 01/15/23 9:29 am
Benefactor ✅
by Morgan aka admin - 01/08/23 8:38 pm
Gold members! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
by Morgan aka admin - 01/03/23 6:30 pm
How to guides - Technical articles
British Fasteners Specs
by Morgan aka admin - 01/03/23 1:29 pm
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
Blown Income
Blown Income
La Plata, Md
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 76
DavidP 64
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 36
DavidP 25
Newest Members
sam keller, Raz, HermDawg, 47sqfour, Blackdoctor
12,383 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,514
Posts783,709
Members12,383
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Thread Like Summary
BeezaBryan, BrizzoBrit, Gordon Gray, Hugh Jörgen, royaloilfield, Stuart Kirk
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#896334 11/25/2022 7:24 AM
by BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
Just needs a lick of paint and .......................

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Liked Replies
#897360 Dec 6th a 08:44 PM
by BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
Final part

Chimneys rebuilt, roofs going on.
Slate to the hill side.

Traditional stone slabs to the front.

Volunteer work on terracing & planting.

Then last November (2021) unwellness struck with a vengeance, left me with diminished mobility. To walk from car parking to cottage was far beyond my ability, and still is.
Months passed by and then I had the loan of an all-terrain electric mobility scooter thing.
Off we went Marie and me along the towpath to see such progress. Though structurally complete much work remainsed on fitting the place out for visitors. The volunteers had finished the access stairs to the woodland, all of the adjacent terraced landscaping. Work is/was ongoing on the other side. Might well be finished now.

My tale finishes here -
From this
to

All I would like now is to once more go back to see the completely finished project, early next year maybe
5 members like this
#896829 Nov 29th a 07:02 PM
by Rocketman71
Rocketman71
I enjoy riding the rural back roads where I live and there are many abandoned houses on what used to be mountain farms. These places aren't farmed or even occupied anymore. I find them interesting. These are from a couple of weeks ago in Rockbridge county, VA. I used to do this on motorcycles. Nowadays I prefer the car. It was 40 degrees F that day. I go as far as the pavement goes.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Attached Images
2 members like this
#896337 Nov 25th a 11:30 AM
by bill50cal
bill50cal
Some windex winfow cleaner and a vacuum cleaner should have move in ready
1 member likes this
#896667 Nov 28th a 04:09 PM
by kevin
kevin
looks like my house
1 member likes this
#896618 Nov 28th a 02:12 AM
by NickL
NickL
'Restorers dream'......... (estate agent talk)
1 member likes this
#896406 Nov 26th a 03:04 AM
by Stuart Kirk
Stuart Kirk
And a chainsaw.
1 member likes this
#896804 Nov 29th a 03:05 PM
by Lannis
Lannis
Originally Posted by Stuart Kirk
I see things like that and wonder what the story was. Why did a charming old place end up in such a state?

The same way that beautiful ancestral homes here where I live go to rack and ruin.

1). The people that live in the house get old and have bigger issues to deal with in their lives than keeping the place maintained.

2) They finally pass away. They often have no will, or maybe they leave it equally to their heirs.

3). None of their heirs even live in the area any more, or if they do, no one has the money to fix the roof, upgrade the heating and plumbing, etc.

4). So one or more of the heirs sues to force a partition sale, so they can realize and liquidate their share of the estate. But they don't all agree on that, so someone countersues to somehow keep it in the family.

5). This drags on for years, while the kudzu, borer bees, squirrels, groundhogs, and
weather do their thing.

As Kipling's Iggulden said "Housen are like teeth. Let 'em go too far, and there's nothing to be done...."

Lannis
1 member likes this
#896989 Dec 1st a 07:43 PM
by BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
Originally Posted by bill50cal
...................... and a vacuum cleaner should have move in ready

You would have needed a big vacuum cleaner to dig this lot out the floor laughing

1 member likes this
#896979 Dec 1st a 06:20 PM
by BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
Thanks for the pics Rocketman.
When I was more able I would walk along what remains of the Nightingale arm on the canal to what is left of the Cromford Canal and Aquaduct Cottage. Yes, the only way is on foot.

Stuart Kirk, a few years ago when the how's and why's of a restoration were overcome plus enough fund raising to see completion the chainsaws did get to see some action.

Volunteers blocked off all windows & doors with painted pictures of the wildlife that lived in & around the canal and the adjacent woodland. The building was in danger of falling apart, some of the structural damage is seen here.

That is all for now, I'm getting tired, more later
1 member likes this
#896997 Dec 1st a 08:51 PM
by Rocketman71
Rocketman71
Do you have any idea how old that house might be? It was a house, wasn't it? Good stone work set by a craftsman.

I saw this house on the same day. Somebody putting money and effort into this one. I would liked to have looked at it up close. Don't see that many old, stone houses in this hood. It must have been expensive when it was built. Two chimneys says it's pretty old.

[Linked Image]
Attached Images
1 member likes this
#897061 Dec 2nd a 08:14 PM
by BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
To continue.

Ground cleared work could commence on the shell that once was a house.

Until the arrival of the Covid pandemic frown
Only Andrew Churchman, a craftsman highly skilled in the arts of restoration, kept on working. Often on our solitary walks we would talk with him, of necessity at a safe distance due me with a weakened immune system.

Behind is Lea Woods, 75 acres of mostly ancient woodland which is now a nature reserve, the cottage (when eventually completed) will be the visitor centre.

It should be always remembered that most material such as scaffolding etc had to be carried piece by piece from a storage area on the other side of the canal by wheel barrow or the occasional loan of a small dumper truck.

More later thumbsup
1 member likes this
#897174 Dec 4th a 03:44 AM
by BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
Originally Posted by BeezaBryan
And so to this evening I sought answers but with the answers came more questions with some surprising answers.
Nearby the cottage is the River Derwent which is crossed by way of an aqueduct hence the current name - Aqueduct Cottage. However, this evening's research shows it is actually Ackerdock Cottage.
tired

FFS!
Wrong again!!
I said I was tired and it shows.
Ackerdock is sort of local dialect/pronunciation for Aquaduct so Aquaduct Cottage it is and always was.
To misquote Kevin - my brain was puddled. laughing

Why am I around at this time of morning? Because I woke needing the bathroom, mouth like the bottom of a parrot's cage, made tea and here I is.
Probably need bathroom again after another four or so hours. Oh the joys of a knackered old body
1 member likes this
#897157 Dec 3rd a 11:42 PM
by kevin
kevin
shitfire

i learn something new every day in this place

Arvicola amphibius

european water vole

its a member of the Cricetidae. i had no idea any cricetid rodents lived in europe. i thought everything there were all members of the Muridae. in america before they lumped them, the Muridae were only old world mice and rats, things like norway rats, or roof rats, and house mice. all the native mice are members of the Cricetidae, like harvest mice, or white footed mice or jumping mice. the american muskrat is a giant cricetid and is always weird to me because you open its mouth and look and the teeth are the same as the tiny meadow mice, the mountain voles and so on.

theyre way different from american muskrats but appear to occupy a similar niche.

fascinating.

sorry for the diversion. ive always had a soft spot for rats and mice.
1 member likes this
#897302 Dec 5th a 08:43 PM
by BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
Until tomorrow here is just one more pic - No 6 swing bridge

1 member likes this
#897361 Dec 6th a 09:09 PM
by Hugh Jörgen
Hugh Jörgen
Beautiful.
Kudos for being part of it.
1 member likes this
#897373 Dec 7th a 03:16 AM
by Stuart Kirk
Stuart Kirk
That really is a storybook ending getting to see a grand old building restored to usefulness. It makes me think of historic steam railroad preservation. The volunteer effort must have been enormous.
How long ago did they start?
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2023 britbike.com