Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
Triumph 650/750 High-Output Alternator Kit
by The Bonneville Shop - 01/13/23 11:29 pm
New FAQ post
Missing edit button
by wrench136 - 05/30/22 2:57 pm
News & Announcements
Premium members! 🌟
by Morgan aka admin - 01/28/23 3:01 pm
Buy BritBike staff a coffee ☕️ or pint 🍺
by Morgan aka admin - 01/15/23 9:29 am
Benefactor ✅
by Morgan aka admin - 01/08/23 8:38 pm
Gold members! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
by Morgan aka admin - 01/03/23 6:30 pm
How to guides - Technical articles
British Fasteners Specs
by Morgan aka admin - 01/03/23 1:29 pm
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
Kent Shaun
Kent Shaun
Kent Garden of England
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 76
DavidP 64
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 36
DavidP 25
Newest Members
sam keller, Raz, HermDawg, 47sqfour, Blackdoctor
12,383 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,514
Posts783,703
Members12,383
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Thread Like Summary
BeezaBryan, desco, Gordon Gray, ricochetrider, TR6Ray
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#896175 11/23/2022 1:10 PM
by TR6Ray
TR6Ray
I was reading a thread on the Triumph board yesterday, where member Trivin posed this question:

Originally Posted by TriVin
. . . With regard to RF Whatley I have noticed that he has not posted on here recently. Has he passed away or ill?

Dave

I did some checking and found that RF last posted on July16, 2021, appropriately enough in regard to a battery issue in a Boyer Bransden thread.

Then I searched and found this obituary notice on-line: Robert Fred Whatley

And another one here: Robert Fred Whatley

I had read last year that he was selling his tools, and I believe Lannis bought some or all of them. So, Lannis, could you or someone else who knew RF personally fill in some details here?

If I am wrong with all of this, I apologize, but I suspect I am correct. At minimum, RF Whatley certainly should have a write-up in the Remembrance board. I looked there but found nothing. I joined here in May, 2010, and he was a prolific poster here and on other boards long before that. I am deeply saddened by discovering this news!

Ray
Liked Replies
#896192 Nov 23rd a 04:12 PM
by Lannis
Lannis
Originally Posted by TR6Ray
Well, DUH! I knew his first name is Richard! facepalm

I'll just chalk this up as another age-related brain fart, even though I am one of the younger members on here. Richard, if you still look in here from time to time, and you see this, rest assured that I meant you no disrespect. In fact, just the opposite is true. This is making me think of Mark Twain, who is often misquoted on this subject. That story even had a British connection to it. Click HERE

Good thing it was a false alarm! There's enough other personal and media linkages networking the British Bike world that we'd have heard quick fast and in a hurry if anything had happened to RF. Hadn't realized, though, that it had been over a year since I bought his tools!

And for anyone concerned that he left BB because of "posts he didn't like", RF had almost 16,000 posts here (taking account of the count reset some years back), and probably twice that many on other sites .... and he had a gift of smacking down insults harder than they came in......

Lannis
2 members like this
#896196 Nov 23rd a 05:27 PM
by Lannis
Lannis
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
Lannis, he had the ability to begin an insult chain himself.

He started one on me 45 years ago in THE NACELLE, the monthly publication of the Triumph Owners Motor Cycle Club.
His message (which the TOMCC actually printed) was filled with falsehoods and dirty language. I had never met that man in my life.

It's a long story which I won't go into here, but it was reason enough for me and my fellow Triumph enthusiasts to close down and disperse the small chapter
of that organization which we had barely begun.

If we hold folks to account for stuff that happened half a century ago, we'll probably be pretty lonely before long .....!

Lannis
2 members like this
#896191 Nov 23rd a 03:51 PM
by TR6Ray
TR6Ray
Well, DUH! I knew his first name is Richard! facepalm

I'll just chalk this up as another age-related brain fart, even though I am one of the younger members on here. Richard, if you still look in here from time to time, and you see this, rest assured that I meant you no disrespect. In fact, just the opposite is true. This is making me think of Mark Twain, who is often misquoted on this subject. That story even had a British connection to it. Click HERE
1 member likes this
#896206 Nov 23rd a 06:58 PM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
Ray a small group of us have a text group and Richard’s ( much better looking) brother Lowndes is a member. He keeps us posted on Richard’s adventures.

A couple years back we held a “Reunion” camp and most of the usual suspects were in attendance. Try as we may we couldn’t get Richard to join us so a group went over to his place ( he was close) for a visit.

My “guess” is Richard and I share that “ All in or All out” mindset.

He’s still done a lot for the hobby and will probably be remembered by most for that.

But he’s still kicking and I hope he does for a long time.
1 member likes this
#897053 Dec 2nd a 03:53 PM
by Semper Gumby
Semper Gumby
One TSMR I was riding an overloaded 63 a65 Star home from Blowing Rock NC to Georgia on the Blue Ridge Parkway. This was leading Lowndes on his OneLegged BMW K and Richard on his R100RS. On the southside of Ashville just past I-26, the Star dimmed and ran out of electrons going silent and I pulled off into the grass. The bemused brothers on their modern BMWs pulled off as well. And we all contemplated the misbehaving coil switching electrical system with its decades old unencapsulated alternator.

Richard of course had the answer right away. Pull the headlamp from the nacelle and remove the headlamp bulb. This allowed the now somehow diminished quantity of electrons to directed exclusively to the ignition system, the tailight LED board being deemed "not a factor".

The bike started first kick and I was away leading once more all being right with the world. That is to say the BSA leading BMWs. And even though I was 4 hours and one gas stop from home, I was home before dark.

Thank you Richard (and Lowndes).
1 member likes this
#897935 Dec 14th a 06:11 AM
by DavidP
DavidP
I would've thought that the first thing you learn with British electrics, especially 6V electrics, is to cut off the headlight to get home.
I've gotten home on nothing but the pilot light too many times to count. laughing
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2023 britbike.com