Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
Triumph 650/750 High-Output Alternator Kit
by The Bonneville Shop - 01/13/23 11:29 pm
New FAQ post
Missing edit button
by wrench136 - 05/30/22 2:57 pm
News & Announcements
Premium members! 🌟
by Morgan aka admin - 01/28/23 3:01 pm
Buy BritBike staff a coffee ☕️ or pint 🍺
by Morgan aka admin - 01/15/23 9:29 am
Benefactor ✅
by Morgan aka admin - 01/08/23 8:38 pm
Gold members! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
by Morgan aka admin - 01/03/23 6:30 pm
How to guides - Technical articles
British Fasteners Specs
by Morgan aka admin - 01/03/23 1:29 pm
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
Blown Income
Blown Income
La Plata, Md
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 76
DavidP 64
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 36
DavidP 25
Newest Members
sam keller, Raz, HermDawg, 47sqfour, Blackdoctor
12,383 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,514
Posts783,709
Members12,383
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Thread Like Summary
Gordon Gray, GrandPaul, Hillbilly bike, Vincent Esposito
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#895903 11/19/2022 11:17 PM
by Vincent Esposito
Vincent Esposito
Not sure if there are any fellow members here, but New England TOMCC is holding a competition this upcoming summer and the gist is a weekend of riding on a bike that costs $1000 or less and has a displacement of 80-500cc, with a points system for country of manufacture, reliability, hours spent under repair, etc.

I want to try do it on a Brit bike, specifically a Triumph but I also feel like there are some cheap BSA singles out there. Does anyone have any tips on specific models that might be a little overlooked and thus a bit cheaper? Hoping to find something on the low at the York Swap, so far craigslist hasn’t yielded anything worth inquiring about.
Liked Replies
#895976 Nov 20th a 06:22 PM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
Originally Posted by Vincent Esposito
Just found a 69 BSA starfire for $900 about 3 hours north of me, waiting on pictures, although I’m pretty unfamiliar with the model. Gordon I know you take yours on fairly long rides

Yes sir......I put my 1967 C25 together for a Moto Giro USA bike.......that's a weekend with lots of riding and I did 4. Last trip I took on it was........ 250 miles one way. Bike did fine and I actually rode on I-40 through Asheville, NC during one part of it.

A little buzzy compared to the B44.......but on the flat they'll keep up with them.

You should be able to pull this off......69 had a good front brake and the 250 unit single is a pretty simple engine to work on. Can't wait to see the photos and follow along.

Not sure if it'll help (or would be considered cheating).......but I have lots of good used parts for them...... well within your budget ( I'd be happy to be a sponsor) Peter Quick would be my first choice when looking for bits......AND his site BSA UNIT SINGLES has workshop, parts and owners manual....all free and downloadable.

[Linked Image]
Attached Images
2 members like this
#896103 Nov 22nd a 04:58 AM
by Stuart Kirk
Stuart Kirk
Originally Posted by Stuart Kirk
Originally Posted by Gordon Gray
.........But IMO $1500 is doable. .......
In my opinion it looks like the organizer is trying to get us hoarder/collectors off our butts and get some of those bikes running. ......
Well, I guess not after all. It's a documentation headache. They want proof of purchase price, and as a swap meet buyer, I've got very little of that. Do you suppose they would accept a very detailed account of how and where each part was purchased? Surprisingly, I do remember a lot of that.

But, I do think I have a $50.00 bill of sale for a TR25W frame that's leaning against the side yard fence. And $150.00 B44EA swap meet engine that'll drop right in. That makes it a bass ackwards TriBSA.

The VIN number would qualify it for the 10 Triumph bonus points.

Sounds like they might award points for cleverness too. It's almost enough to make me want to move out of California.
2 members like this
#895959 Nov 20th a 03:46 PM
by Vincent Esposito
Vincent Esposito
I'm assuming that "cost" includes the purchase price and what you have to pay to it to get it on the road ?

It’s $1000 to purchase a bike and an additional $500 allowance to get it roadworthy. I feel like the $500 repair cost gives me a little leeway.
1 member likes this
#895968 Nov 20th a 05:22 PM
by Irish Swede
Irish Swede
Steve, that's because they were JUNK to begin with.
1 member likes this
#895975 Nov 20th a 06:15 PM
by Vincent Esposito
Vincent Esposito
Just found a 69 BSA starfire for $900 about 3 hours north of me, waiting on pictures, although I’m pretty unfamiliar with the model. Gordon I know you take yours on fairly long rides
1 member likes this
#895995 Nov 20th a 08:43 PM
by Vincent Esposito
Vincent Esposito
Thanks for the tips on the BSA singles site and very much appreciate the parts offer Gordon! I’ll keep you posted on progress with the potential 69. Even if that one falls through I think a B25 might be the right avenue to pursue
1 member likes this
#896102 Nov 22nd a 04:32 AM
by Steve Erickson
Steve Erickson
Sorry about the link Vincent... for some reason I, alone, can open it here, but this has happened before... apparently Farcebook likes me more than y'all other folks. And I'm way too cyber-inept to do anything further with this, so best I can tell you is what I posted is too far away from you to be of interest as far as purchase. Was just a sale of a 69 Starfire project for $800 in California.

Best of luck with your purchase (hold out for a 441!).
1 member likes this
#896089 Nov 22nd a 12:31 AM
by Stuart Kirk
Stuart Kirk
.........But IMO $1500 is doable. .......
In my opinion it looks like the organizer is trying to get us hoarder/collectors off our butts and get some of those bikes running.

There's one last basket case Goldie lurking in my yard that cost me way less than $1500.00. It's a sure winner if they award bonus points for the most time spent under repairs.

Even better if they give points for buying it way too many years ago.
1 member likes this
#896091 Nov 22nd a 01:03 AM
by edunham
edunham
I paid $300 for my Velo. Paid Geoff Dodkin $600 to do the bottom end, and had about $500 in other odds and ends to get it on the road. Of course that was in the 80's.

Ed from NJ
1 member likes this
#896098 Nov 22nd a 03:30 AM
by Vincent Esposito
Vincent Esposito
Simon from NETOMCC sent the rules and points system around, should clear up any questions (certainly did for me).

$1000 Bike Challenge

Points system
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2023 britbike.com