Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
Triumph 650/750 High-Output Alternator Kit
by The Bonneville Shop - 01/13/23 11:29 pm
New FAQ post
Missing edit button
by wrench136 - 05/30/22 2:57 pm
News & Announcements
Premium members! 🌟
by Morgan aka admin - 01/28/23 3:01 pm
Buy BritBike staff a coffee ☕️ or pint 🍺
by Morgan aka admin - 01/15/23 9:29 am
Benefactor ✅
by Morgan aka admin - 01/08/23 8:38 pm
Gold members! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
by Morgan aka admin - 01/03/23 6:30 pm
How to guides - Technical articles
British Fasteners Specs
by Morgan aka admin - 01/03/23 1:29 pm
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
Blown Income
Blown Income
La Plata, Md
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 76
DavidP 64
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 36
DavidP 25
Newest Members
sam keller, Raz, HermDawg, 47sqfour, Blackdoctor
12,383 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,514
Posts783,709
Members12,383
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Thread Like Summary
GrandPaul
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Piperdave
Piperdave
Hi, I'm Dave and this is my current story.

I have been a lurker here for a little while, so it is time to let you all know what is going on and why.

My Rickman (Street Metisse,A65 engine) was my daily transport for so many years. Then, on the way to view the Eclipse in Cornwall, in 1999,(remember that), it suffered a catastrophic oil loss due to a fractured oil pipe.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

At that time i had a works van, and little money, so to the back of the shed it went. Through the years, money stayed a problem, so it stayed there.

Life moves on, and money is less of a problem, so.....out it came and i have started stripping it down, with a view to a rebuild. I had lots of plans, but when costed, it looked like i would spend in excess of £5,000 (!), so i will start with getting it running and looking not too shabby, and maybe do some pretty stuff when any running problems are ironed out.

First problem:- front engine mounting seized.....had to cut it out. Spacers and mild steel stock are available to remake the lost parts.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Getting the rod out of the engine cases took an exercise in drilling.....

https://i.ibb.co/16dzst6/IMG-20221028-WA0003.jpg

Second problem:- Swinging arm axle seized in isolastic bearing. Think i need to find a press.

I will keep this up to date as things happen,

Stay safe

Dave
Liked Replies
by triton thrasher
triton thrasher
Originally Posted by GrandPaul
Very nice classic Rickman.

I've seen several BSA Rickman STREET bikes, and they all had the footpegs welded to the EXHAUST PIPES! (I kid you not)

Yep, also on their Enfield engined thing.

[Linked Image from ]
1 member likes this
by MrGear
MrGear
Give me some time Dave, I might have some old bushes that I can measure up for you. The dimensions are a bit tight for needle rollers and the limited travel of the swinging arm means that the rollers don't get to rotate properly. By that I mean needle rollers are designed for continuous rotation not oscillation.
1 member likes this
by Piperdave
Piperdave
Originally Posted by Andy Higham
REPAINT????
The frame and swingarm should be nickle plated. Spare parts prices here https://www.rickman-motorcycles.com/parts-and-prices.php

Indeed, but swinging arm was Black as original when i got the bike, and the frame had also had been painted. When i stripped the paint last time, the nickle plate was in poor condition, so i went with a light grey/silver colour, as it would have been far to expensive to re-plate, and indeed still is out of my reach. Unless we could crowd fund a full re-plate, this is how it will remain, sorry.....
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2023 britbike.com