Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
10% Off Girling at The Bonneville Shop 2/3-2/9/23
by The Bonneville Shop - 02/03/23 6:14 pm
New FAQ post
News & Announcements
Premium members! 🌟
by Morgan aka admin - 02/04/23 2:40 pm
Buy BritBike staff a coffee ☕️ or pint 🍺
by Morgan aka admin - 01/15/23 9:29 am
Benefactor ✅
by Morgan aka admin - 01/08/23 8:38 pm
How to guides - Technical articles
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
Denis J
Denis J
Sacramento, CA
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 84
DavidP 83
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 34
DavidP 27
Newest Members
Uneasy Rider, Mally, Daveed, 70Triumph, Knight57Corv
12,392 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,551
Posts784,409
Members12,392
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Thread Like Summary
desco, Gordon Gray, NickL, pidjones
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#894261 10/28/2022 1:04 PM
by DUHC
DUHC
Many of our bikes had Avon tyres as original fitment. These were manufactured in their factory in Melksham, Wiltshire (a couple of miles down the road from me). This is referenced, for example, in the Replacement Parts book.

Subsequently, Avon were taken over by Cooper Tires, a division of Goodyear. However, they still made tyres, including those for motorcycles, under the Avon brand.

They've just announced after 132 years manufacture at the plant that they're closing the factory with the loss of 350 jobs. It's the major local employer in a small town.

I'm guessing manufacture of Avon tyres in future will be offshore.

Another link with the past going.
Liked Replies
#894275 Oct 28th a 04:44 PM
by Twin Pot Phil
Twin Pot Phil
And 10 minutes after Melksham has fully closed, expect to see 'logistics problems' with the future supply of product, in the UK at least.
I wonder if all/any of the competition products will survive the migration.
When they too moved, Dunlop dropped several 'historic' related competition items after they changed geography, even to the point of 'loosing' tyre moulds.
All entirely predictable these days.
1 member likes this
#894312 Oct 29th a 12:30 PM
by Mike Baker
Mike Baker
According to the tire vendor that attends our races, Avon stopped suppling race tires in the US last year and most vendors sent their remaining supply back to the distributor(s).
I have to wonder if Avon has made race rubber for some time now. Every new tire I've gotten in the past few years has cracked it's sidewalls almost immediately. Avon has never done traditional date codes on race tires so who knows?
Tried Bridgestone this year- they seem to work ok so far.
1 member likes this
#894367 Oct 30th a 10:47 AM
by Irish Swede
Irish Swede
NO SANE BUSINESSMAN wants to stay in California these days. Taxes are too high, workforce too small, and government regulations too crazy.
1 member likes this
#894590 Nov 1st a 06:57 PM
by quinten
quinten
I'm a little disappointed that my Levis jeans are made in Bangladesh, rather than California !
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
NO SANE BUSINESSMAN wants to stay in California these days. Taxes are too high, workforce too small, and government regulations too crazy.

yes cazy ... if "these days" means 22 years ago
Levi's closed Manufacturing in California in 2001
and stopped Manufacturing in Texas a 2003 ... moving all production offshore .
they used to have Manufacturing in Scotland too . ... so UK jeans
We're probably UK made ... Manufacturing in Scotland also closed by 2003

Capitalisms job is to make money , not make and save jobs locally .
The Levi's production force in California was largely , at the time of closure , immigrant Latina and immigrant Italian .
doing piece work ( at minimum wage )
... if you move the factory offshore ... you take the jobs to the potential immigrants , where wages are even cheaper .
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2023 britbike.com