Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade to Premium membership HERE! Premium Membership

New Sponsor post
15% Off Black Friday Sale
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/24/22 5:51 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Spitfire Ken
Spitfire Ken
Illinois
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 55
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Bry 24
Newest Members
Hedgehog65, NDarwin, Bas classic bikes, lojo, Doug McLaren
12,333 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (Magnetoman, v8doog, Ginge), 16 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,683
Posts782,996
Members12,333
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
Gordon Gray
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#890416 09/10/2022 3:18 AM
by Lannis
Lannis
So I'm changing the chain and sprockets on a 650 Kawasaki Versys (not mine). The front sprocket is held on by a 1-5/16" nut which is torqued to 92 foot pounds when it goes on.

Coming off is a different matter. The manual says to leave the chain on the sprockets, and use the rear brake to hold the sprocket while you put a wrench on it.

Not even close.

Then I used a 120 psi air wrench, and hammered that thing back and forth for 10 minutes. No dice.

Then I took the chain off and used a hardened socket to jam between the sprocket teeth and a frame boss so the sprocket couldn't move at all, and we put a 3 foot pipe on a breaker bar, and I held the spacer in place while a 250-pound guy ALMOST got all of his weight onto the breaker bar when BANG the nut came loose, no damage.

So assuming he still had 50 pounds of weight on his feet, that's 200 pounds on a 2.5 foot radius, or 500 foot pounds that it took to get that nut off. Someone has to be demented to design a system that tightens itself up on a thread every time the machine accelerates, and you have to use that kind of force to take it apart. My M21 primary sprocket and clutch nuts are next, I may break even that record.

Now is ze time on Sprockets ven ve dance!

Lannis
Liked Replies
#890464 Sep 10th a 09:01 PM
by Shane in Oz
Shane in Oz
Originally Posted by Lannis
It's entirely possible that my air wrench is not the best; it's an old, inexpensive one, and I don't really know how they work, such that a better wrench might convert the available air flow and pressure into more torque. How do I know if I've found a good air wrench or not? I don't mind paying for good tools; I'm a big Made in USA fan and eschew Harbor Fright and other cheap-john places. Any suggestions?

Lannis
Cheap air impact wrenches, by and large, couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Trevor and I have our own version of the Tooling Wars, including air tools.

My Ingersoll Rand 2135QTiMax is rated at 750 ft. lb. counter-clockwise. Trevor's is rated a bit higher, and when it was new it could fairly easily undo nuts that mine made hard work of. Seven or eight years of daily use has taken its toll, so my lightly used I-R is now back in the lead.

The bottom line is that there are some good 'uns out there, and the Ingersoll Rand stuff is well worth checking out.

btw, the self-tightening effect is quite common with lawn mower blade spindles. I bought a very used Kubota out-front a couple of years ago whose blade spindle nuts defied the combined efforts of the oxy torch and rattle gun. That ended up needing the use of the Dremel and a cold chisel to V out 2 faces to relieve pressure on the threads.
1 member likes this
#890535 Sep 11th a 05:42 PM
by edunham
edunham
I don't use my air-impact any more. The electric impact is a lot more convenient.

Ed from NJ
1 member likes this
#890753 Sep 14th a 04:51 PM
by Tridentman
Tridentman
I agree--- HF makes some crap--but also if you are selective---some pretty reasonable stuff.
I would rate my mains electric impact driver and my hydraulic bike lift in particular.
In fact were it not for the HF bike lift I probably would not have afforded a bike lift---and that would have been a big loss as it is a great tool.
Just my two cents worth of course.
1 member likes this
#890692 Sep 13th a 07:08 PM
by edunham
edunham
Mine has a black case, but it is probably the same. Plenty of stuff from HF is pretty bad, but this impact gun has pleasantly surprised me.

Ed from NJ
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com