Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade to Premium membership HERE! Premium Membership

New Sponsor post
15% Off Black Friday Sale
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/24/22 5:51 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Gary Caines
Gary Caines
Hiawassee, Georgia USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 56
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Bry 24
Newest Members
NDarwin, Bas classic bikes, lojo, Doug McLaren, Randy Maui
12,332 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (Rod Rayborn, CRH, Tridentman, Cyborg, Snakepitt, Morgan aka admin), 19 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,675
Posts782,860
Members12,332
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
Gordon Gray, Magnetoman, NYBSAGUY, Stuart Kirk
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#890113 09/05/2022 9:30 PM
by Stuart Kirk
Stuart Kirk
Hello everybody,
I've participated in this forum since February 2019 but this is my first thread ever. So here goes, I'm jumping in.
My 1956 bitsa Gold Star Dual Sport bike (A covid shutdown project.) has been sleeping off in a corner since early spring but the first Southern California BSA club desert ride is this Saturday the 10th. I tend to put things off and often do the pre ride check over the day before. But, it's been sitting at least six months so maybe I need to start a little earlier.
So, the very first thing is to drain the primary

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

and the crankcase.

It appears there was more oil in the primary than in the crankcase and only the smallest dribble remained in the oil tank. This seems to be typical on these things.
So the primary gets topped up with F type ATF and the oil tank gets 2-1/2 quarts of Valvoline 20-50 VR1

Now that the engine and primary oils are ok it's time to put on heavy shoes and kick it over. It primes ok. (I usually run it on race gas which doesn't go bad nearly as fast as what you get at the pump and it doesn't tend to plug up the pilot jet so quickly.)

So I kick it through a few times. The compression seems low. Thoughts cross my mind. Has a valve tightened up or started to stick? Or is it just a few crumbs of carbon, loosened by sitting, that is holding the valve open? I kick it like I mean it. Nothing. Repeat a few times and it fires up then quits. Hmm, sounds promising. Prime it again, kick it and it fires right up happy as can be. Let it idle and warm up a little, run it up and down the street, then shut it down. The compression has returned to normal.This is good. It was most likely just some loose carbon. I'll adjust the valves after a longer test run.

So on goes the current sticker. (And top up the gas tank.)

And off we go for a 40 mile test ride. We are in the middle of a heat wave so it is relatively cool along the coast but baking hot on the other side of the coastal range. You can just see the channel islands peeking through the haze.

And everything seems pretty good. The engine hasn't missed a beat, the clutch (Triumph type) is working fine but the Kenda street legal DOT Trackmasters howl like you wouldn't believe in a straight line. They're not so noisy on a lighter unit single but on this heavy pig, they are obnoxious. I try leaning and that quiets them down a little. So far so good.

Next things on the list are: Nut and bolt check, charge the battery, tighten up all engine fasteners, adjust the valves, lube and adjust the chain and maybe clean it up?

To be continued.
Liked Replies
#890770 Sep 14th a 11:31 PM
by Stuart Kirk
Stuart Kirk
Finally, enough of the maintenance is done. It's Saturday morning and the BSA and I are wide awake and on the road at 4:15 AM because it's a 3-1/2 hour drive for me to the Big Bear airport. The bike never got fully cleaned which is just as well because the trail was rather muddy in spots. Here's our group of eight riders. This is a BSA Owners Club event but as usual, the bikes are mostly Triumphs.

I was the lone BSA unless you want to count this TR5MX as a BSA. And now that I think of it, there was another bike that was a C15 competition frame with a Triumph 500 twin wedged into it. It worked really well and the owner loves it. So maybe we had 2-1/2 BSA's?

Here we are starting up after the lunch stop. My bike made me push start it at least three times and only kick started twice. I really need to get my mag re-magnetized OR, exercise more!

The rain held off all day long until about the last mile and a half when it really did start coming down. We all had rain suits but I only had on my top and wasn't about to stop to don the lowers. One bike, the Tribsa, got wet and quit and got pushed in.

It was a long day and I got home tired and sore but glad I can still do these sort of rides.
2 members like this
#890121 Sep 5th a 10:57 PM
by Magnetoman
Magnetoman
Originally Posted by Stuart Kirk
this is my first thread ever.
Now you will learn the joys of exposing your bikes and work to a broad audience. I'll get things started: you're using the wrong oil, the wrong gas, your tank badge is too small, you have the incorrect license plate holder, the seat is too small for a passenger, the forks are only appropriate for a home market 1964 Norton Atlas, the sidecar lugs are missing from the frame, Dunlop TT100 tires are better for the desert, you'll get more h.p. if you use an M20 piston along with an Amal GP, your alloy tank will dissolve in E10 fuel, ...
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com