Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade to Premium membership HERE! Premium Membership

New Sponsor post
15% Off Black Friday Sale
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/24/22 5:51 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Spitfire Ken
Spitfire Ken
Illinois
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 55
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Bry 24
Newest Members
Hedgehog65, NDarwin, Bas classic bikes, lojo, Doug McLaren
12,333 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jon W. Whitley, Magnetoman, DMadigan, koan58), 16 guests, and 40 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,682
Posts782,987
Members12,333
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
BeezaBryan, Gordon Gray, GrandPaul, Hugh Jörgen, NickL, quinten
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#888567 08/16/2022 11:35 PM
by NickL
NickL
I still have not received this first class letter sized package from the 'states.
The 14 days at the 'Transit facility' is what i don't get...............

I thought our post system was bad but this is crazy.

13 Aug 2022
6:50pm
DEPARTED FROM TRANSIT FACILITY
US
9 Aug 2022
1:59pm
PROCESSED AT TRANSIT FACILITY
US
1 Aug 2022
2:58pm
PROCESSED AT TRANSIT FACILITY
US
1 Aug 2022
11:25am
SCANNED INTO SACK/CONTAINER
1 Aug 2022
10:51am
CLOSE BAG
30 Jul 2022
5:19am
PROCESSED
29 Jul 2022
6:02pm
PACKAGE RECEIVED AT DHL ECOMMERCE DISTRIBUTION CENTER
28 Jul 2022
4:19pm
Processing at Consolidation Center
28 Jul 2022
3:42pm
Processing at Consolidation Center
28 Jul 2022
1:07pm
Out for Delivery, Expected Delivery by 9:00pm
LINCOLNWOOD, IL 60712
28 Jul 2022
12:56pm
Arrived at Post Office
LINCOLNWOOD, IL 60712
28 Jul 2022
2:42am
Arrived at USPS Facility
CHICAGO, IL 60646
28 Jul 2022
2:07am
Arrived at USPS Facility
LINCOLNWOOD, IL 60712
28 Jul 2022
1:40am
Departed USPS Regional Facility
CHICAGO IL DISTRIBUTION CENTER
28 Jul 2022
1:14am
28 Jul 2022
12:58am
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
27 Jul 2022
11:16pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
27 Jul 2022
9:49pm
CHICAGO IL LOGISTICS CENTER
27 Jul 2022
6:51pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
CHICAGO IL LOGISTICS CENTER
27 Jul 2022
2:17am
PHILADELPHIA PA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
26 Jul 2022
11:15pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
PHILADELPHIA PA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
26 Jul 2022
3:54pm
Departed Post Office
TOWNSEND, DE 19734
26 Jul 2022
1:55pm
USPS picked up item
TOWNSEND, DE 19734
26 Jul 2022
11:06pm
Tracking number provided
Liked Replies
#889184 Aug 24th a 10:11 PM
by Roadwarrior
Roadwarrior
I sent a Triumph head to Aus a couple years ago from California. Postal guy told me if I purchased the guaranteed delivery option, the shipping would end up being free, because everything was always late. I chose it, and the part arrived two weeks after the date. I got all my money back.
2 members like this
#889419 Aug 28th a 12:29 AM
by sammysnail
sammysnail
I was interested in the '50s style round valve stem nuts from CBS. I checked them recently, and for one nut at about $12 the postage was $98. I let that opportunity slide on past me.

I have just this moment checked the price again before making this post. Price for the nuts is still reasonable at $21 per pair, but the postage is now $154 economy and $186 express. The opportunity kept on sliding. If I put my project in a concours d'elegance the judges would be laughing so hard that they wouldn't even notice the valve stems.

At that price the nuts should get their own window seat on the aeroplane.
2 members like this
#888579 Aug 17th a 05:20 AM
by Rohan
Rohan
Originally Posted by NickL
I still have not received this first class letter sized package from the 'states.
The 14 days at the 'Transit facility' is what i don't get...............

I thought our post system was bad but this is crazy.

I recently received something from the USA that was similar. !
(Received, note).
Whats more, I got a confirming email every step of the way in the US postal 'system'. !!
I did wonder how it could go around and around like that, seems very inefficient ?
A LOTTA scanning .........

It then seems to have spent another 2 weeks going through Aussie Customs.
(With no confirming emails ! ).

When you hear how many items they process EVERY day, it makes more sense.
Apparently Perth Airport received 5 planeloads of packages on the one day at one point.
Almost a million (little) packages ??
1 member likes this
#888592 Aug 17th a 01:06 PM
by MikeG
MikeG
During the height of the great pandemic I sent a package from New Hampshire USA to my brother in California. It was mailed on December 2 and finally arrived at his place sometime in the middle of January. I watched the tracking every day, and it seemed it was just bounced from postal distribution center to center simply to keep it moving. At one point it made it as far as Denver before being sent back to Chicago and then on to other midwest places. During that same time I ordered some stuff from Andover Norton in the UK and had it within 10 days. By the tracking details provided it took longer to get it from New Jersey to New Hampshire than it did to get packaged and sent across the Atlantic. Go figure.....

Around here DHL shipping stands for Dropped Hammered Lost....
1 member likes this
#888745 Aug 19th a 06:33 AM
by tridentt150v
tridentt150v
4 weeks is pretty standard from the USA/Canada....i sometimes buy from BCS and it usually takes that long.
But if I buy from the UK it only takes a week...so I try to order from the UK if I can.
BTW, I'm waiting on a parcel posted in Australia - so domestic - and its taken 4 weeks so far. it went from Chullora[Sydney suburb] , to Wagga [big country town in my area], then back to Chullora. Now its in Bayswater [suburb of Melbourne]. No idea when I will get it at this rate, and no idea why it got so close then was freighted away again?
Postal services are like the weather, we don't really know what we will get, we just know we will get some!!!
1 member likes this
#889245 Aug 25th a 07:14 PM
by Steve Erickson
Steve Erickson
July 29 I shipped a package from Michigan to Minnesota, just across the Gitche-Gumee. It has sat in a Regional Shipping Center in Pennsylvania now for 3 weeks according to tracking (which says it was scheduled for delivery Aug 3). USPS website just says "try back later" (20 minutes of typing in info first, of course), Cruella the local Postmistress says it is "moving in the system" (uh no, that's the problem), buyer is righteously pissed.

Economy rate, economy service.
1 member likes this
#889430 Aug 28th a 02:15 AM
by Tridentman
Tridentman
It sounds as though someone in US should buy the nuts and then mail them to you in a birthday card.
If you want to try it then I am game!
1 member likes this
#889828 Sep 2nd a 05:32 AM
by BSA_WM20
BSA_WM20
But that is only if the original seller applies the GST and a lot don't
With the bulk remail services your package from The USA gets loaded into an Australian freight container and when full, goes to the airport to be shippled to a depot in OZ
It travels as a container of mixed freight with no full manifest so nothing to levie tax against because as far as Aus customes is concerned it is just a continer of stuff for personal use & not for commercial resale .
Then when repackaged it gets taken to an Aust Post sorting depot usually as bulk presorted so the various bags of packages just get placed in the bays for whatever final sorting depot that are going to .
No one cheks them and again nomanifest as they are treated the same as a parcel you dropped into a letterbox ie local freight.
At the final sorting depot they go on a belt that scans the addersses and checks the postage paid
From there it does to the distribution warehouse when the consignment gets broken down into delevery runs by street names.
This is how that mob who were importing handguns broken down into parts that got busted last year managed to smuggle so many weapons iot the country undetected.
Now at randome, customs will get the container sent to their checking station where the packages are tipped onto a belt, run past a few dogs to check for drugs or explosives then x rayed and tossed back into the container but we are talking about 1 in every couple of thousand containers .
They really are not interested in busting you for 1/2 kg of coke they want the 200kg or several ton imports done via shipping containers .
Suspect packages might get impounded if they are really dangerous otherwiise you & the vendor get flagged by the Commonwealth police & the relevent law enforcement agency in the country of origin

Thus if you buy from non compliant vendors & that is the bulk of USA ones where any tax is considered immoral you don't get GSt.
Amazon & Evilpay levie it and they keep a share of the GST to cover the "extra processing cost " the actual amount of which is commercial in confidiance .
Some credit cards also levie the tax under a similar agreement
Paypal does not and neither does Western Union but an Australian bank will on a WU transaction so they credit bill has to be bought from a money exchange shop & not your bank.

OTOH,
If it goes through Aust post directly from say USPS then every package is examined and every customs / insurance declairation is checked and those of some cut off level will be opened, checked and if no GST is on the invoice then it will be levied when you try to collect your package from the PO.

I buy a lot of stuff from China, Hong kong, Vietnam & Thailand , directly from factories or wholesalers nd none of it ever has GST applied .
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com