Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade to Premium membership HERE! Premium Membership

New Sponsor post
15% Off Black Friday Sale
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/24/22 5:51 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Deadstiffcatt
Deadstiffcatt
Big Island, Hawaii
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 55
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Bry 24
Newest Members
Hedgehog65, NDarwin, Bas classic bikes, lojo, Doug McLaren
12,333 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
7 members (Magnetoman, DMadigan, koan58, Ignoramus, Lannis, Shane in Oz, NDarwin), 18 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,682
Posts782,987
Members12,333
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
Gordon Gray, MikeG, PINEMONKEY
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#888265 08/13/2022 3:21 PM
by Lannis
Lannis
Originally Posted by Lannis
Originally Posted by Gordon Gray
Originally Posted by raf940
i am sick of all my stuff

I know the feeling. When shop projects go from giving you a happy glow of anticipation, to just weighing on your mind with a feeling that you'll never get it done, it's time to let go....

Lannis

The Morgan?

G

Yes. The Morgan is leaving here in two weeks with it's new (bb.com) owner.

It was meant to be a motorcycle back when I didn't have a motorcycle. But no car can substitute for a bike.....

Lannis

Damnit man.........that's like the end of an era. That empty space will be useful............but you know you're still gona miss it.....at least for awhile.

I thought you might had Mr Mike talked into it.......couldn't have been a better deal for either one of you.

Hopefully we'll get a photo or two when it's back on the road?

Gordon

{I transferred this thread over here from "The Garage Sale" to avoid generating a rabbit trail over there in the Garage.}

Gordon -

Yes, Mike and I discussed it over the years, but he's sort of facing the same issues that most of us are, so it's going to be another denizen of BritBike that goes home with the Morgan. I'm sure that photos will be forthcoming for those that are interested.

I'm probably going to get rid of all three of my cars (Morgan, '90 Festiva, and '04 Solara convertible) and buy something exotic and ridiculous, don't know what yet. As I found out, no car can substitute for a motorcycle, but someday if there's a time when I can't ride a motorcycle, but CAN drive a car, I want something fun and conversation-starting and on the road..

Got to think about the bikes too. I've got eight and I can't ride eight. I've got three running, one that should be running but isn't (TSMR Norton), two on the bench and I know exactly what has to be done to make them run, one on its wheels that needs opening up and seeing what's inside, and one complete but in pieces still on the bench.

Question is: What do I really want NOW? What do I want to RIDE in 2022, 2023, 2024? I've acquired these bikes over a 24 year period; things have changed, I've changed, my wants and needs have changed. So my stable of bikes has to change along with that.

I know that I and raf940 are in exactly that boat. I'm sure there are others.

Lannis
Liked Replies
#888291 Aug 13th a 11:23 PM
by htown70
htown70
Can't stop the march of time. Just turned 70 last month.
Sold 5 bikes this spring.
1970 BSA Thunderbolt
1971 Commando 750
1972 Commando 750
1974 Trident
1978 Bonneville.
All were complete restorations and riders without excuses but maintaining them in that state was getting to be too much work.
Now I'm finishing a restoration on a 1973 Commando 850, which will probably get sold next spring.
I'm keeping my favorite bike, 1974 Commando 850 as the "keeper"
Along with my modern bike, a 2018 Z900RS
As they say you gotta know when to hold'em and know when to fold'em
1 member likes this
#888362 Aug 14th a 08:25 PM
by Lannis
Lannis
Originally Posted by Dibnah
Thanks for the idea! Those are good-looking, historic cars. However, I don't do enough off-roading to offset the paved-road performance (comparable to an original Willys Jeep) and the eye-watering prices they fetch here.....!

Lannis

In that case, you could have a proper Range Rover (1970 - 1995) for those paved roads; the 2 door has the best lines IMO, but the 4 door offers more convenience and creature comforts. Obviously, this should be in addition to a Series Land Rover.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I'm sure (using the "Good Old Days" principle that I often go by) that the '70 to '95 Range Rovers were nice cars.

However ... a good friend of mine with whom I would often ride bought two later model ones .... a 2005 and a 2010, used low mileage models.

Neither one of them made it to 120,000 miles intact. When I rode in them, I got the impression of low-quality tackiness, cheap interior trim, inner door panels swaying about in turns. I mean, these are $100,000+ cars fully loaded, and both of them left him on the side of the road with major engine failures.

He drives a Ford Edge now and very happy with it ...

Lannis
1 member likes this
#888361 Aug 14th a 08:20 PM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
I took a short ride today and was reminded why I love these old bikes. It takes me awhile to shake the "parade clown on a vespa" feeling I get when I'm around a bunch of harleys or BMWs when I'm on a BSA unit single.....but after it's gone I remember why I ride vintage.

I had an amazing trouble free ride today and I'm thankful for it.

Gordon, who's FINALLY quit buying projects.........that's a start.
1 member likes this
#888407 Aug 15th a 10:53 AM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
Triumph TR6 in British Racing Green.

Or….a Shelby Cobra, 67 Camaro, Tod and Buz’s Vette……the dream list goes on.

You can keep the farm vehicles. laughing

Gordon
1 member likes this
#888356 Aug 14th a 07:46 PM
by Kent Shaun
Kent Shaun
raf940 lad, the Interceptor is a FANTASTIC motorcycle, just add a few more $$ and get another seat for it, the original is CRAP like sitting on a plank.... shocked

I've also swapped out the 15 tooth engine sprocket for a 16 tooth one, just makes it so much nicer and you're not searching for that 7th gear, which isn't there. Just coming up to 10,000 miles and 10,000 smiles while riding this machine.... thumbsup
1 member likes this
#888456 Aug 15th a 07:13 PM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
I’m just saying $100,000 isn’t what it used to be……and I’ve ridden in them….. they are still just a pickup. Funny thing is……..the owners (IME) are the first and the loudest to cry when gas prices go up.

I’m out……I have no clue what exotic and ridiculous vehicle you’d be riding around in.

But……let’s not completely rule out the 96 Taurus……you don’t see many of those around nowadays.

G
1 member likes this
#888458 Aug 15th a 07:15 PM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
Originally Posted by PINEMONKEY
How about a 1963 Oliver 550?
LOADS of leg and elbow room!

Crosley or Oscar?

G

Oops…..I said I was out……how ya gona miss me if I don’t leave?
1 member likes this
#888459 Aug 15th a 07:21 PM
by PINEMONKEY
PINEMONKEY
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Gordon Gray
How about a 1963 Oliver 550?
LOADS of leg and elbow room!

Crosley or Oscar?

G

Oops…..I said I was out……how ya gona miss me if I don’t leave?

Attached Images
1 member likes this
#888466 Aug 15th a 08:57 PM
by Shane in Oz
Shane in Oz
[Linked Image]
I have an 1800 fitted with a replacement Perkins 6.354, which effectively makes it an 1850, but we digress.

Series I SWB Land Rovers are similar performance-wise to the original Jeeps, but Series III are a bit more road-friendly.

How about a Mercedes 450 SL or SLC?

Some of the Porsches are still affordable.

What about a 1960s or 1970s Rolls Royce?
1 member likes this
#888839 Aug 20th a 12:32 AM
by Roadwarrior
Roadwarrior
I love my 60 MGA. No show queen, but nice.
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com