Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade to Premium membership HERE! Premium Membership

New Sponsor post
15% Off Black Friday Sale
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/24/22 5:51 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Spitfire Ken
Spitfire Ken
Illinois
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 55
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Bry 24
Newest Members
Hedgehog65, NDarwin, Bas classic bikes, lojo, Doug McLaren
12,333 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (Magnetoman, Jon W. Whitley, HayMike, Madmotorman), 12 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,682
Posts782,987
Members12,333
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, Gordon Gray, kevin
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#886914 07/30/2022 6:13 PM
by mrcarb
mrcarb
Would there be any information on this site on how to check and adjust the float height on Amal 930 carbs?

Thank you in advance
Liked Replies
#887965 Aug 10th a 05:00 PM
by edunham
edunham
I have always measured by pushing the tangs down while simultaneously holding the pivot pin from rising. Works for me!

Ed from NJ
2 members like this
#888194 Aug 12th a 07:14 PM
by Allan G
Allan G
Originally Posted by quinten
Originally Posted by DavidP
Originally Posted by Allan G
Originally Posted by quinten
the dry float level spec is 0.08" below the bowl , at the back-side away from the pivot .

Might be worth adding that those values are only for the white plastic float, not to be used with the stay-up float
Do not press down on the needle or tangs to measure this. Correct procedure is to hold the pivot pin in place while inverting the float bowl.
Allan is correct, the right level for the stay-up floats and Premier carbs is closer to level with the top of the float bowl.

according to AMAL .,
. 08" is correct for all floats . ... allan may believe differently ... and 0.08" is close to the top ,
( more than 1/16" , but less than 3/32 )... or 2 mm

Float level is the same
Method of adjustment is different ( for all plastic float )

.[Linked Image from triumphrat.net]
https://www.triumphrat.net/attachments/amal-stay-up-float-level-sheet-pg-2-jpg.656764/
[Linked Image from triumphrat.net]

Have you tried adjusting the stayup float to .080” below the top of the float bowl as you could do with the plastic floats, you’d be lucky if it runs. Then check the fuel level and it will be well off.

If you get a brand new carb (and I’ve checked a few as I check each carb I sell) you’ll notice that the float will sit ever so slightly proud of the top of the bowl. With the gasket in place it wouldn’t see the top of the gasket.

Leave them how they come set from Burlen and they will run spot on. Whether it be a pre 72 bike or not. If it runs rich then investigate.
1 member likes this
#888287 Aug 13th a 11:00 PM
by htown70
htown70
I've installed stayup floats on 7 bikes, either on new Premier's or retrofits. Not sure about the plastic floats but with the stayups you want the float to be just proud of the top of the bowl when you lightly press down the tangs. I've checked all of them with the u-tube method and the just proud setting gives the correct fuel level very close to .21" below the top of the bowl.
1 member likes this
#888353 Aug 14th a 07:01 PM
by htown70
htown70
What sort of bike do you have? Is the carb tilted? Shouldn't make much difference whether on the bench or on the bike. Set it close on the bench check it on the bike. On Commandos with titled carbs I always measure at the center of the bowl where the intake needle is.
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com