Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade to Premium membership HERE! Premium Membership

New Sponsor post
15% Off Black Friday Sale
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/24/22 5:51 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Lannis
Lannis
Central Virginia
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 55
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Bry 24
Newest Members
Hedgehog65, NDarwin, Bas classic bikes, lojo, Doug McLaren
12,333 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (Tridentman, grumps65, Gordo in Comox, Magnetoman), 20 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,683
Posts782,996
Members12,333
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
DAMadd, Gordon Gray, GrandPaul, hacksaw, Nick, PINEMONKEY, Steve Erickson, Tiger Dale
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by DeanInAnnapolis
DeanInAnnapolis
I have a BSA 441 Victor Special and I am trying to determine its worth. I am looking to sell it. I am 71 years old and looking at a knee replacement (kicking knee of course!). It has the following characteristics and upgrades:

1. 1967 engine (round head) in a 1969 frame
2. External oil filter (new)
3. Pazon Sure-Fire Electronic ignition (new)
4. Lucas ignition coil (new)
5. 200 W Lucas Type High Output Stator Alternator (new)
6. New clutch
7. Many other pieces & parts (receipts available)

I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has an idea of what they think it might be worth. Pictures and video of it running are available.
Thanks and feel free to contact me privately.

Dean Wickline
[email protected]
Liked Replies
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
I would offer to help but I really don’t like being the one popping that bubble.

Last couple of folks I tried helping both had nice bikes BUT they were only worth a fraction of what the owners thought they were worth.

I love to see bikes up for sale here but this “probably” isn’t the best place to look for a buyer. Brit bike owners can be a “bit” on the cheap side and most on here already have a garage full.

That said, bikes do sell on here so there’s always a chance the bike you have is exactly what someone is looking for.

But be forewarned……that bike you think is worth $8000 because you saw where one sold for that……..”might” be a $1500-$2000 sale if you get lucky enough to find a buyer.

Hopefully someone else will step up to help.

Gordon
3 members like this
by Steve Erickson
Steve Erickson
Dean, I'm sending you a PM...

Edit- No, I guess I'm not. There is a new policy on PMs here, that seems to have some major glitches...

I'll send you an email.
2 members like this
by Lannis
Lannis
Originally Posted by Gordon Gray
Guess I scared him off. I’ll try to do better but the last two I tried to help were nice bikes and nice fellows selling but it just didn’t work out for them ( as far as I know)

But like I said, I’ll try to be more helpful and not so negative next time.

Gordon

There's been nothing negative in this thread, just helpful, objective, and experience based advice. It's what I'd want to hear if I asked for advice.....

Lannis
2 members like this
by Cyborg
Cyborg
Originally Posted by Lannis
Seems that buyers want a bike they don't have to do anything AT ALL to, and will pay for that ....

Lannis

Relatively recently I have slid towards that category. I have one major project on the go and more waiting in the wings. I’m half heartedly looking for a bike to ride and at this point don’t even want to think about having to change the oil.
I suppose older folk are starting to realize they may not finish their projects and can’t take their money with them. The only thing holding me back is the Scottish ancestry. I’d gladly forgo the spit polish for 25% off. Rather have one that’s properly sorted with a bit of character.
2 members like this
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
Not a word from Dean......

[Linked Image]

My last Victor Special. Purchased from a member.......passed on to another. Hopefully I'll get another one put together before I'm too old to ride it.

G
Attached Images
2 members like this
by Steve Erickson
Steve Erickson
Copied and pasted your email address from your post, and emailed last night? My "sent" box shows it went out.

Geez, I really am one of the Untouchable Caste...
1 member likes this
by Lannis
Lannis
The word "WORTH" is one of those things that can have so many working meanings, depending on the context.

1. It's worth what the owner SAYS it is worth to him. That has no relation to a possible sale price, though.
2. It's worth what the owner "Has In It". That also has no relation to a possible sale price.
3. It's worth what "one like it sold for on Bring-A-Trailer". That's getting closer to reality, but the one on B.A.T. may have been in much better condition, or in 100% stock condition, or in the right part of the country. As Gordon says, yours may vary very much in potential sales price.

The actual real-world definition for a man looking to sell a motorcycle of "worth" is "It's worth what it will bring in a well-advertised, well-run auction". People don't want to hear that sometimes, because that number doesn't square with their Hope, or with items 1. or 2. above, but it's an undeniable fact. A person might hang onto a bike for years, with the philosophy of "I'm not going to give it away for less than I know it is "worth"", but that's definition 1.

Or, if you're me and want to sell the bike, not argue with the world about what it is Worth, you might put the bike up on a nationwide auction site where 400 interested people are looking at it every day monitoring the price, with money in their hand, and start it off at $0, no reserve, and let the world tell you what it is worth, and you take the money and let the man have the bike. It's an urban myth that bikes go for "less than they are worth" in such a situation.

So it really all depends on whether you are really ready to sell or not, or are you just looking to see if someone will validate your idea of what it is worth, and if you don't, you just keep it? Either way is OK.

Since yours doesn't have a matching frame and engine, and has some non standard upgrades, you will never get "Top Price" on a BAT or Mecum auction, so no $8,000 fantasies in the near future.

The BSA 441 Hard Core Riders will be looking at your bike, and they will be looking to pay a price that will be less than what it would cost them to take a project bike and get it into the condition that yours is in.

It USED to be that if a 441 upgraded rider was $X, then an A65 in the same condition would be $1.5X, and an A10 in the same condition would be $2X. Not anymore. 441s and A65 riders are about the same price, and an A10 about $1.5X.

So I'd say $4000.

Lannis
1 member likes this
by Stuart Kirk
Stuart Kirk
.....Since yours doesn't have a matching frame and engine,....... you will never get "Top Price" on a BAT or Mecum auction, so no $8,000 fantasies in the near future..........
I recently sold a very attractive, tastefully modified, non-matching number 1968 B25 with a B44B engine in it. I started at $4800 and months later sold it for $2000. It was a hard sell which, may just be a sign of our times right now. However victors, even non matching, seem to have more sales appeal so the OP could likely get a bit more more for his.
1 member likes this
by GrandPaul
GrandPaul
If you are related to Dale Wickline, I like you already, Dean.
1 member likes this
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
Geeze......NOW I feel bad. I forgot Dean said he's 71....looking to get knee replacement. Somehow I transformed him in my head into a impatient 20 year old that had got mad and ran off. ( hey, you saw where that Mike photo got to) Since I'm also 71......I wonder if Dean has some of my same problems? I suffer from CRS in an advanced condition. Not sure where all these fantasies are coming from??

This is an interesting motorcycle.......lots of stuff going on.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Please direct questions and comments back to Dean.

More to come

G
Attached Images
1 member likes this
by Tiger Dale
Tiger Dale
Gordon
The front forks are Ceriani
1 member likes this
by Stuart Kirk
Stuart Kirk
Yes, those forks are worth a grand by themselves and it takes machine work to install them properly. Definitely a plus, IF you intend to dirt ride it.

I notice it has the '67 type oil tank and the B44EA engine is definitely 1967. Are we sure it it a '69 frame? Can we get a shot of the frame number?
1 member likes this
by Stuart Kirk
Stuart Kirk
Yeah, I've got Ceriani forks with Race Tech cartridge emulators on both my B50 and My DB34GS dirt bikes. That setup is much easier on my wrists and arms. Well worth it for vintage dual sport riding.
1 member likes this
by koncretekid
koncretekid
Gordon,
We do not have the full frame number. So if the frame number indicates that the vintage is the same as the motor, i.e. 1967, then the price would be higher in my opinion, than if the frame number indicates a later vintage., say 1969. I would say $2500-3500. It also matters where you are, as prices tend to be higher in areas of higher population.

I'm not sure why it matters, but in any case, if Dean wants to sell it, it's up to him to establish a starting price. I recently sold a very nice CB350 cafe bike which I started on Kijiji (like craigslist) at $4500CDN, then $3900, then $3400, and finally sold it for $2500 US which is roughly equivalent to $3300 CDN.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Here is one that sold for an exceptionally low price on Ebay, despite appearing very original with matching numbers. https://www.ebay.com/itm/275373030833?hash=item401d82fdb1:g:LwwAAOSw4Dtiwli-

Tom
1 member likes this
by Steve Erickson
Steve Erickson
Thanx G, hope I am too...

Saw that photo, why I crawled from the grave to post that.

One more... footpeg assemblies are 66/67 type it appears. Wouldn't work on 69 frame.

...back to the crypt...
1 member likes this
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
So I'd say $4000.

Lannis

We really need photos……I’d agree with Lannis IF

Tires are within the age limit. (this isn’t a Hornet)
All chrome in good shape.
Stock dent-free tank. ( stock paint a plus)
Stock seat cover and trim, no tears or dents. (Aftermarket cover a minus)
Speedo working w/no dented trim ring or broken glass
No extra holes or cracks in fenders
Battery cover present and solid
Chain and sprockets still useable and guard present
Head pipe and muffler in good shape. (no dents or rust)
Engine running without any major problems

Too many “nos” about those items $2500-$3000

In my opinion……without matching numbers, to make Lannis’ number the rest of it needs to be pretty nice.

Gota have good photos……of all the stuff I mentioned that can be photoed.

Gordon.
1 member likes this
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
Originally Posted by Stuart Kirk
Yeah, I've got Ceriani forks with Race Tech cartridge emulators on both my B50 and My DB34GS dirt bikes. That setup is much easier on my wrists and arms. Well worth it for vintage dual sport riding.

I could see that. I've always heard good things about them but have never actually rode a bike with them.

I can tell you a story about a fellow who had a brand new 1968 Victor Special. Lived in the Southern California desert. Friends had Huskies and Yamaha DT1s. Took off on a group ride...... about 5 of them.......his first time on the Victor in the desert. Wicked fast........left everybody in his dust. Just flying and came up on some woop de doos. (sp?) made it through the first couple but after that things got ugly.......fast. He kept the bike but settled on small Hondas for the rest of his desert riding days.

IMO you can easily ride a VS on gravel/dirt roads, some single track but it's suspension just can't handle the rough stuff......at speed. Combine that with how much it weighs. YES......it can be done (was and is).......but IMO if you're going to ride rough off road on one I'd consider the Ceriani forks an upgrade.

I have to say this about this bike being offered......I love that round barrel.......and the oil tank. 1967 was a good year for me.

Gordon
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com