Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade to Premium membership HERE! Premium Membership

New Sponsor post
15% Off Black Friday Sale
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/24/22 5:51 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Deadstiffcatt
Deadstiffcatt
Big Island, Hawaii
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 55
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Bry 24
Newest Members
Hedgehog65, NDarwin, Bas classic bikes, lojo, Doug McLaren
12,333 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
10 members (gREgg-K, Stuart Kirk, Steve Erickson, Hugh Jörgen, BobV07662, NDarwin, Magnetoman, Tridentman, bill50cal, koan58), 22 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,682
Posts782,987
Members12,333
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
Gordon Gray, GrandPaul, Jon W. Whitley, ricochetrider
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#886338 07/24/2022 1:58 AM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
Been a couple of weeks and I couldn't find a box......not that happy with what I ended up doing but....I hope it'll do. I know I've received fenders in the mail......just don't remember how they were boxed. 1000 more feet of tape and this one might make it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Can't attach photo's to PM's and I wanted you to see I'm getting there.

Gordon
Attached Images
Liked Replies
#886497 Jul 25th a 09:44 PM
by HughdeMann
HughdeMann
Sounds like a road trip is in order Gordon!
2 members like this
#886721 Jul 28th a 01:51 AM
by Steve Erickson
Steve Erickson
I kinda agree with Paul, except for shipping frames... UPS (used to be?) always the cheapest/easiest.

Well, except for one time when I shipped one by Greyhound bus, there's a golden oldie...
2 members like this
#886741 Jul 28th a 12:25 PM
by Steve Erickson
Steve Erickson
Heh-heh, again as Paul sez, they all screw up.

Once UPS picked up a newly powdercoated frame I'd just sold on ebay, shipped it off to their wrecking yard in Iowa, and crushed it... I was unable to stop their process once it started. Driver was directed to pick up a barrel they had damaged in shipping and paid the insurance on... and had told me they didn't want back. The frame was sitting on my porch for pickup the next day, only item he saw, and he just grabbed that.

I seriously doubt the ebay buyer believed my tale for one second...
2 members like this
#886887 Jul 30th a 01:08 PM
by Steve Erickson
Steve Erickson
This fender deal is really familiar to me. Years ago I got a B40FE that had been mildly altered (and then abandoned). It had what looks like the same chrome ribbed fender on the rear as this one. It looked, well, pretty cool, but was just wrong on that bike. So the fender has been boxed up now for years, awaiting the Muse to club me with the right application. It is a little narrow for rear, a little wide for front.

Nice to see Jon easily found a use for yours. And a darn nice donation on your part.
2 members like this
#886891 Jul 30th a 02:41 PM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
Originally Posted by Steve Erickson
............ And a darn nice donation on your part.

The man spotted it in this photo........what else could I do? thumbsup

[Linked Image]

G
2 members like this
#886424 Jul 25th a 01:14 PM
by Roadwarrior
Roadwarrior
It’ll work. Been there, done that many times.
1 member likes this
#886501 Jul 25th a 10:14 PM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
Lord how things change. USPS wants OUT of large package delivery.......period.

I could have tried Fed EX......but when it comes to damaged packages they are number 1 IME (at least around here they are)

So..........UPS has it and Jon should have it (if the box holds up) by the end of the day Wednesday.

Jon, if you don't get it by end of the day Thursday let me know.....I have a tracking number.

Gordon
1 member likes this
#886515 Jul 25th a 11:37 PM
by Jon W. Whitley
Jon W. Whitley
Gordon,

I always cringe when a USPS clerk gets out that special measuring chain or tape measure...it's never a good sign! I know they have been playing that "balloon" charge thing for a few years now and of course, with ever-increasing costs. That balloon charge equates to a penalty for it being too light in weight but larger than some computer program tells them it should be...programmed by some so-called gov't genius to make up for lost revenue in other places, like their flat rate shipping.

Anyhow, thank you very much and I am indeed indebted to you for all that you have done!
1 member likes this
#886705 Jul 27th a 11:44 PM
by Roadwarrior
Roadwarrior
I’ve never had any problem with Fed Ex be it air or ground. I also have an account.
1 member likes this
#886707 Jul 28th a 12:05 AM
by GrandPaul
GrandPaul
Originally Posted by Roadwarrior
I’ve never had any problem with Fed Ex be it air or ground. I also have an account.
There are people on both sides of EVERY fence!

I had bad results from USPS, others good. Good results from FedEx, others bad. I don't use UPS because every time I calculated shipping cost (even WITH an online account), they were always the highest.

Just my personal experience...
1 member likes this
#886789 Jul 29th a 12:36 AM
by Jon W. Whitley
Jon W. Whitley
Originally Posted by Gordon Gray
I can’t brag on ups just yet……. Jon hasn’t said he got it.

Gordon, I indeed have it and it looks fantastic and arrived just fine. It arrived last night but I had to stay overnight for Staff Duty to watch the Troops, so it was waiting on me when I got home. Thank you very much!

The good thing about USPS and UPS routes is that there is a regular that owns that route and they of course usually get to know a fair amount of their customers and strive to make everyone happy (the majority anyway). It's when a sub gets on the route for various reasons, that an issue is most likely to occur.

FedEx on the other hand is now using contractors and even their regulars don't seem to have the same initial training and sense that USPS and UPS carriers have. I observe FedEx on a daily basis in my work area and I am beyond not impressed and appalled on a fair amount of occasions.

When I'm working my regular civilian job as a Letter Carrier for USPS, I am frequently picking up their miss-delivered packages and getting them to the correct addresses on my route. Most times my customers don't know that I took care of it and by all rights, it isn't my job to do that but I would want someone to do that for me, and no sense in not doing that as I know where it goes and they paid for it and deserve to get it...it's just the right thing to do. Also, they usually fail to leave the packages under cover and in the middle of porches, etc. No regard for packages and the customers, as they frequently leave them out where they get rained on and even buried in snow during the winter. I have recovered packages out of snow banks when the snow starts to melt, that FedEx left. Out of control! I could go on but I think everyone gets the point.
1 member likes this
#886858 Jul 29th a 11:07 PM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
Jon.......I'm relieved it made it......wasn't one of my best packing jobs. It needed for all that to be in another box but darn that would have cost an arm and a leg to ship????

I "think" it "might" have come off a bike I got off of Hacksaw (site member). I'm pretty sure he was just flipping it (great buy for me) and wasn't the fellow who set it up.

I have NO CLUE what that thing was. If I had seen one before I didn't pay attention. What are you going to use it on?

Gordon
1 member likes this
#886862 Jul 29th a 11:47 PM
by Jon W. Whitley
Jon W. Whitley
Jon.......I'm relieved it made it......wasn't one of my best packing jobs.

What are you going to use it on?

Gordon,

I thought it was packed quite well enough and props for wrapping the fender in the paper too!

I plan to either use it on my 1957 6T Thunderbird as a possible front fender or as a rear fender on either my 1972 Daytona rigid project or a '69 BSA 650 rigid project that I have going.
1 member likes this
#886885 Jul 30th a 12:39 PM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
Originally Posted by Jon W. Whitley
Jon.......I'm relieved it made it......wasn't one of my best packing jobs.

What are you going to use it on?

Gordon,

I thought it was packed quite well enough and props for wrapping the fender in the paper too!

I plan to either use it on my 1957 6T Thunderbird as a possible front fender or as a rear fender on either my 1972 Daytona rigid project or a '69 BSA 650 rigid project that I have going.

I'm still a big fan of the USPS. When I think about what it takes to supply the service they do....it boggles my mind. I understand completely why they need to either get out of the big package business or get paid well for it. I've made my living with my back and hands....and know what a bag of dog food can weigh.

I've probably walked (swap meets, bike shows) right by those type of fenders dozens of times. But if a "What is this for?" question had come up worth a billion dollar prize. I wouldn't had known the answer. I'm going to walk around with that.......all day today.

Googled photo's of a 1957 Thunderbird. I didn't even have to narrow it down to a 6T, ...... I got the point.

I'm happy it found a home.......I'm just passing it forward

G
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com