Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
Triumph 650/750 High-Output Alternator Kit
by The Bonneville Shop - 01/13/23 11:29 pm
New FAQ post
Missing edit button
by wrench136 - 05/30/22 2:57 pm
News & Announcements
Premium members! 🌟
by Morgan aka admin - 01/28/23 3:01 pm
Buy BritBike staff a coffee ☕️ or pint 🍺
by Morgan aka admin - 01/15/23 9:29 am
Benefactor ✅
by Morgan aka admin - 01/08/23 8:38 pm
Gold members! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
by Morgan aka admin - 01/03/23 6:30 pm
How to guides - Technical articles
British Fasteners Specs
by Morgan aka admin - 01/03/23 1:29 pm
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
Tridentman
Tridentman
New Jersey USA
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 76
DavidP 64
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 36
DavidP 25
Newest Members
sam keller, Raz, HermDawg, 47sqfour, Blackdoctor
12,383 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,514
Posts783,703
Members12,383
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Thread Like Summary
bill50cal, Chip H, Gordon Gray, Nomad6T, Steve Erickson
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Morgan aka admin
Morgan aka admin
FYI:
I have turned on PM for Basic members again for now

Due to recent scam activities and therefore to make the forum more safe for our members a decision has been made to remove the right for basic members to start private messages PM's.
a basic member can still reply to an existing PM or to future PM's from upgraded members BUT cannot start a PM.

Please note that Premium members, Gold Members and Life members can still start PM's
So can Sponsor members, Moderators and Admin.
Liked Replies
by Morgan aka admin
Morgan aka admin
Chip, I don't follow you, When someone receives a PM a notification email is sent out but only if enabled by the member in his profile. If not no email.

Tom, No no other changes.

I am not saying this is forever. it is for now as protection for our members. It applies to basic accounts only.
I might come up with another solution. we'll see as times goes.
1 member likes this
by Morgan aka admin
Morgan aka admin
Originally Posted by bill50cal
Morgan is there a way you can set it up where a basic member can use PMs after so many posts by the basic member. doing that as a step to be a verified member?

I will look at it next week windy
1 member likes this
by bill50cal
bill50cal
Morgan is there a way you can set it up where a basic member can use PMs after so many posts by the basic member. doing that as a step to be a verified member?
1 member likes this
by Steve Erickson
Steve Erickson
So, if I'm following this correctly, if a basic member sees an item on Garage Sale he is interested in, he should post on the thread that he would like the seller to PM him? And the PM initiated and sent by the seller can open an ongoing private two-way conversation between them for the transaction?

(I'm trying to figure out if I should make a sticky at the top of the Board for this? Or maybe this should be an automatic generated response to PM attempts?)

And what if the seller and the buyer are both basic members....?

Edit- Well, this is ironical (love that term!). I just tried to PM a new member to help him with a sale, and got the message that I can't. Now that I think about it, I guess I am a Basic member. Therefore I fall under the new mandate. Mods apparently aren't exempt, even on their own boards. So Morgan... should I send you money so I can help the Basic members posting on my Board? Actually, I guess any members?
1 member likes this
by Morgan aka admin
Morgan aka admin
FYI:
I have turned on PM for users again for now
1 member likes this
by Morgan aka admin
Morgan aka admin
The difference between Novice and Basic membership (both are free) is 2 vs 10 PM's. This means anybody can PM a novice and a Novice can PM anyone.
Premium members or Moderators can save up to 100 PM's in the database.

As soon as the member becomes active posting threads/posts then he is transformed from Novice to Basic

Cheers
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2023 britbike.com