Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
10% Off Girling at The Bonneville Shop 2/3-2/9/23
by The Bonneville Shop - 02/03/23 6:14 pm
New FAQ post
News & Announcements
Premium members! 🌟
by Morgan aka admin - 02/04/23 2:40 pm
Buy BritBike staff a coffee ☕️ or pint 🍺
by Morgan aka admin - 01/15/23 9:29 am
Benefactor ✅
by Morgan aka admin - 01/08/23 8:38 pm
How to guides - Technical articles
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
Fisherman
Fisherman
Tennessee
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 84
DavidP 83
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 34
DavidP 27
Newest Members
Uneasy Rider, Mally, Daveed, 70Triumph, Knight57Corv
12,392 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,551
Posts784,416
Members12,392
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Thread Like Summary
Gordon Gray, royaloilfield
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by ChadB
ChadB
2022 MotoGiro USA (TN/NC) Ride/Race/Event Report

Don't really know where to file this report but competition feels right. The Giro was over 30 days ago but I've been flying all over the place for the man and finally have a few minutes to post about what an amazing event this was. Three of us TUNC riders headed up to the high country, Marcus on a C15, myself on a B25 and Doyle on a two wheeled faired machine from Italy not worth mentioning. This was my first Giro and it showed. I thought it was going to be a nice slow parade through some beautiful mountain roads followed by little wrenching, good food and libations. Day 1 AM Session was around ~88 miles, beautiful weather and kept mostly on the TN , NC line. Highlights included Tiger Valley, White Rock, Roan Mountain , Unaka Mountain and Rock Creek. I was not prepared for the off road sections and thankful I had time to rebuild my front folks. I spend most of lunch tightening bolts and topping off fluids. The bike was acting a bit strange but we headed out in the afternoon session where rain was expected. About 20 miles into the ~70 loop my bike cut off on a downhill with a completely dead battery due to a failed alternator that I should have known better than to leave on the bike. Marcus was using a crank driven ignition so he lent his battery to cause which allowed me to continue to about mile 60 when his battery gave out. Tail between my legs I took the chase truck back to base. Marcus and Doyle made it back to base without any issues to conclude the Day 1 PM session which included some tough wet roads around Fork Mountain, Burleson Park, North Toe River, Green Mountain and the Nolichucky River.

Feeling defeated and starting to think about the red-eye I had to catch the next day I humbly declined the encouragement and a loaner bike offers by the amazing Hall brothers who played a huge role in keeping Marcus on the road the next day. But that's their story to tell hopefully around a OVBSA rally campfire in August.

All in all it was the most fun I've had on two wheels in many years. A rough guess but there were around a dozen British bikes at the event. It was well organized by an incredible group of volunteers. I believe they have another one scheduled this fall in the New England area. If it returns south next year I will be one of the first to sign up.

Some photos from Day 1 and 2:
Attached Images
Liked Replies
by Geoff
Geoff
I just saw this. I remember seeing the C15. Unfortunately I used a borrowed Honda 175 this year due to a disaster at the machinist with my Greeves barrel.

The Giro is what you make of it. The giro's in the NE do have a little 'hooligan' element that rides really fast, others who don't. The course is setup for an average speed, and the checkpoints that were lacking a few years ago have made an appearance in the last few I have ridden in (VA and TN). Its easy to fall behind the average speed (forget wallet, get lost, etc.. :)). The whole thing is on public roads, and if there is an abundance of dirt some people complain loudly (Catskills in 2019 had an overabundance of dirt).

The thing is won on the agility tests. I was in 3rd place going into Sunday lunch and blew it coming in and leaving and wound up not even close in my class. I have yet to ride a bad route and it really makes my year. A group of friends makes it all the better.
2 members like this
by Mike Baker
Mike Baker
Steve- the guy that was run over- is ok. He's a good friend and fellow AHRMA racer. Saw him yesterday. Evidently, the guy in the f150 pulled out in front of him, knocked Steve off the bike, he wound up under the truck and the guy proceeded to drive over his leg. Steve said his leg is fine but his wrist is messed up.
Insurance totaled the bike for what that's worth.
I had every intention of making the Giro but life got in the way. Seems to be more demands on my time now that I'm retired than when I was working....
1 member likes this
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
That chase truck ride can sap the life right out of you........especially if your only 20 miles or so into the weekend......ask me how I know.

Tell me about how you did in the "special tests"..............please...... UNLESS you never hit a cone or put your foot down and hit the time perfectly.....then I don't want to hear about it. It'll only make me feel worst about how bad I was at it.

If I was going to change anything about it....(and of course I can't) I rather it be run like some of the enduros I rode in in the 70s.......you start on a minute and EVERY THING was tied to that. Show up early to a check point and you lose double points than if you show up late the same amount of time. They gave you mileage and average speed....you had to figure the rest out yourself. My Giro experience was more like......ride as FAST as you can so you got more time to stand around a talk. I did see two time checks at the 4 I attended. The first (in NC) I was so late checking in it didn't matter and the other ( somewhere in the NE) was just ignored?

BUT.....all the crying aside I did enjoy keeping up with the route and the scenery was amazing at all of them.

Was Doyle the one who ended up under a truck?

Will Marcus ever give us a report?

G
1 member likes this
by ChadB
ChadB
Originally Posted by Gordon Gray
That chase truck ride can sap the life right out of you........especially if your only 20 miles or so into the weekend......ask me how I know.

Tell me about how you did in the "special tests"..............please...... UNLESS you never hit a cone or put your foot down and hit the time perfectly.....then I don't want to hear about it. It'll only make me feel worst about how bad I was at it.

If I was going to change anything about it....(and of course I can't) I rather it be run like some of the enduros I rode in in the 70s.......you start on a minute and EVERY THING was tied to that. Show up early to a check point and you lose double points than if you show up late the same amount of time. They gave you mileage and average speed....you had to figure the rest out yourself. My Giro experience was more like......ride as FAST as you can so you got more time to stand around a talk. I did see two time checks at the 4 I attended. The first (in NC) I was so late checking in it didn't matter and the other ( somewhere in the NE) was just ignored?

BUT.....all the crying aside I did enjoy keeping up with the route and the scenery was amazing at all of them.

Was Doyle the one who ended up under a truck?

Will Marcus ever give us a report?

G

There were special tests in the beginning and end of each session and as Marcus warned, this is where your Giro is won or lost and seasoned participants would hit their time within, .05 seconds. It was incredible. Here's a photo of the first special test we had to complete in 8.75 seconds. I'm on the line and Marcus is behind me. Not too difficult to maneuver but hitting the time is tougher than it looks. Countdown timers are not permitted. I too was surprised to see that you were not penalized for showing up early but trust me when I say that this becomes very difficult to do with torrential downpours, one missed turn or any mechanical issues. I see now why 90% of the field ride Hondas. Of course Dave Roper showed up on a Guzzi Falcone setting the rear suspension bar. The rider under the truck was a guy from TN on a Rapido. We stopped at the scene and he was very lucky. In the chaos of the crash scene I don't think anyone noticed this but there was an EMT that came out of nowhere on a 2WD Rokon in rescue trim. I don't know if Marcus still has a BB logon but I will ask. You should definitely consider another attending again and definitely prepare for Enduro trim.
Attached Images
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2023 britbike.com