Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
July 4th Sale at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 07/01/22 6:26 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Les P
Les P
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 65
kevin 60
DavidP 58
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Lannis 23
MikeG 20
Newest Members
MartyH, Steve Sewell UK, BrokenLeg, Jeff Keller, Steveland
12,212 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
5 members (kevin, Magnetoman, Doug P, The Momes of Wrath, Oil Changer), 12 guests, and 25 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,552
Posts776,412
Members12,212
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, BSA_WM20, Gordon Gray, Hillbilly bike, Jon W. Whitley
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#882703 06/10/2022 6:34 PM
by raf940
raf940
took the 72 T120 out today for a ride in cool morning air got home and decided to spiff it up as i was cleaning tires i noticed numerous sidewall cracks on from 3.25x19 K70 this tire is not that old and has tons of tread left the one that was on the front before did the same thing any of you'uns had K70 sidewall crack capers? PS going to try different brand ...soon...
Liked Replies
#882706 Jun 10th a 06:37 PM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
What’s the manufacture date?

I have a set of K70s here. Never been mounted. “Look” like new but are actually 15+ years old. IMO the only thing they are good for now is a static display.

I learned the hard way that the LAST thing you want to
purchase for a project are the tires……and then only once the bike is ready for the road.

G
2 members like this
#882808 Jun 11th a 08:38 PM
by DavidP
DavidP
I just looked, and the K70 in my shop is dated 2913. Looks good, but I wouldn't use it.
Probably about as effective as the conical-brake wheel from which I removed it. laughing
2 members like this
#883145 Jun 16th a 07:43 PM
by MikeG
MikeG
I hate threads like this..... got me looking at the tires on my A10, which does not see as much use as it used to. The front is an Avon ribbed from 2008 eek and the rear is a Kenda from 2010. Seems like I put them on just a few years ago. facepalm
2 members like this
#882775 Jun 11th a 02:27 PM
by DavidP
DavidP
Originally Posted by Gordon Gray
True story. I purchased a set of tires from a well known Brit Bike vendor. I knew nothing about tire dating. This would have been around 2006-07????. After an “incident”…….I learned how read the dating code. The tires I purchased as new didn’t have the manufacture code. The code was mandated in 1971 so the tires were manufactured before the mandate.

Gordon
That's so you can claim the bike is, "All original, even the tires." laughing
1 member likes this
#882805 Jun 11th a 08:22 PM
by gunner
gunner
I noticed numerous sidewall cracks

As rubber deteriorates and ages, it becomes harder and cracks, hence the appearance of cracks in the side wall.

I wouldn't try riding with tires in this condition as the grip will be seriously compromised and might lead to an accident.

If your riding is mostly on road, get a set of Avon Road riders as Allen suggests, these tires have a modern rubber compound with excellent grip, I use them on my Commando and A65 and they are great.

Not sure how the K70s compare to the Road Riders, maybe others can chime in.
1 member likes this
#882874 Jun 12th a 08:19 PM
by edunham
edunham
A couple of years ago, I started my a65 up after the winter and took the long way to breakfast. A lot of twisty bits and sweepers. Bike felt like I was riding on ice and snow. Looked for oil on the tire, but there was none. Plenty of tread and no sidewall cracking. Then a light bulb went off. The tires were 12 years old and hard as rocks! Checked my Trident and my Norton. Tires ranged from 12-15 years old. Changed them all. Huge difference. Didn't bother with the smaller bikes. Don't notice as much of a difference as long as its dry out.

Ed from NJ
1 member likes this
#883177 Jun 17th a 01:17 PM
by Hillbilly bike
Hillbilly bike
I used to drag race my 67 650 and later a 73 Trident..The bikes took the punishment in stride...Nothing broke...You had to spin he rear tire or slip the clutch to avoid a wheelstand..
1 member likes this
#883183 Jun 17th a 02:28 PM
by MikeG
MikeG
[
I feel your pain brother.......I don't want to go out to the shed and check any others.......too depressing.

You know you could probably get a few more miles out of the 2008 front.........

IMO fresh rubber "almost" feels alive.

You might remember one year Mike Carter rode the whole TSMR loop on rock hard tires.....swore he'd NEVER let that happen again. I can't remember where I was following him? Maybe after lunch in Mountain City but I witnessed him sliding around a couple of turns.

"Almost" makes the argument (don't tell my wife this) of only having a couple of bikes.

Gordon

The Avon is pretty much gone anyway Gordon, and I will put 2 new Avon Road Riders on soon(?) As far as worn TSMR tires, I kinda remember a certain Thunderwing pilot running it with cord showing on the rear....and he don't exactly baby the throttle shocked grin
1 member likes this
#883264 Jun 18th a 08:28 PM
by kevin
kevin
I learned the hard way that the LAST thing you want to
purchase for a project are the tires……and then only once the bike is ready for the road.

G

lol

i am just now looking at a brand spanking new pair of avon road . . .runners

sitting in my shop in the dark since i got em . bought for my 72 T120 and things got in the way . . .

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

dunno what to do with them now

1 member likes this
#883397 Jun 20th a 05:47 PM
by raf940
raf940
well i will proily git jumped on but.....my reading has indicated that K70 was never designed to go on front rib tire was what went on home market Triumphs etc. and K70 was marketing ploy for US market to give racier look scalloping comes from tread blocks squishing under steering /braking the K70s i have used on front of my 72 T120 scallop badly after just a couple thousand miles
1 member likes this
#883400 Jun 20th a 07:02 PM
by kevin
kevin
Originally Posted by Mark Z
Oh, ok, I totally misunderstood; I thought you were saying the tires are whupped. So you agree then that tires can last an awfully long time if stored under the right conditions.

well, the reason those tires are still brand new after 23 years is that i wont put em on a bike. rubber has all sorts of volatile compounds that outgas over time. kept awsy from sunlight i am under the impression that a tire will be good for quite a while. but like allan says, tires are all that keep the motorcucle upright.

so good or not, i probably wont use them on a machine
1 member likes this
#883467 Jun 21st a 03:28 PM
by raf940
raf940
i am going with Duro HF317 on front of my 72 T120 and wont ride it again til i get the scalloped and cracked K70 gone i have one of the Duros on front of my 68 A65 with K70 on back and it works very well
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com