Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade to Premium membership HERE! Premium Membership

New Sponsor post
15% Off Black Friday Sale
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/24/22 5:51 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Deadstiffcatt
Deadstiffcatt
Big Island, Hawaii
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 55
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Bry 24
Newest Members
Hedgehog65, NDarwin, Bas classic bikes, lojo, Doug McLaren
12,333 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
9 members (steve-d, Psychopasta, Steve Erickson, Stuart Kirk, C.B.S, Magnetoman, Wilfred, gavin eisler, GrandPaul), 21 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,682
Posts782,987
Members12,333
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
Gordon Gray, ricochetrider, semprini
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
So I have (as stated) a 66 A65T. The bike fires up immediately whenever I Begin my riding day- but almost every time I shut the bike off it is REALLY hard to start again.

It has barely been ridden it’s whole life, with 5500 some
Miles showing I figure roughly average of 100 miles per annum. That said, I know it sat in a basement for 40 years and after that was ridden only maybe 300 miles from2012 til I bought it a year ago.

It runs like a dream. No smoke, no noises, nothing weird or funny at all.
So help me out please. I feel
Like there must be more than one reason it’s doing this…
Run the possibilities down for me will you please, guys?

Thanks, Tom
Liked Replies
by edunham
edunham
Everyone has chimed in on the usual suspects, but here is one other. Next time it does this feel the coil. If it is hot, you may have a bad coil.

Ed from NJ
2 members like this
by The Bonneville Shop
The Bonneville Shop
Hey Ricochet, as mentioned by Gunner, check for a voltage drain somewhere in the system. Next time you go out for a ride and get back home, check the battery voltage with your meter after you shut the ignition off. You should be seeing at least 12.6 volts. If you are seeing less than that, either the charging system is weak, or you have a demand on the battery that is drawing it down. Halogen headlamp bulbs can be hard on a weak charging system and battery. Check the brake light switch to make sure it is not out of adjustment and sticking 'on'. When the Boyer ignition module senses low voltage it defaults to full advance, which is why it is hard to start on a low battery. Best of luck.
-Dave
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com