Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
twinspin
twinspin
Reading UK
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 69
kevin 52
Allan G 50
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 29
Newest Members
Ian Scotland UK, cherbini, grahamsmythe, Joe Santelik, Lord Hepcat
12,156 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (Dibnah, L.A.B., JER.Hill, gunner), 24 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,286
Posts772,333
Members12,156
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
tridentt150v
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#881673 05/27/2022 9:57 PM
by tony gallagher
tony gallagher
Hello I have over the last several years restored my 69 a75 both mechanically and cosmetically. I recently(carefully) installed a new Boyer Micropower ignition (blue box) along with a new battery and podtronics rectifier/regulator. Although the ignition installation instructions were followed precisely the bike would not start. It acted as if the timing was far too advanced resulting in kickback and occasional backfiring but no attempt to actually run. The box generates a strong spark at the plugs by scratching the b/w b/y leads together. With the assistance of a knowledgeable friend we did get the bike to run once by retarding the ignition to the limit allowed by slots in the stator plate. It ran fine without miss or stumble for 3 or 4 minutes and I adjusted the ignition to 38 degrees with a timing light. After turning it off it has never started again reverting to the same symptoms as before and despite numerous adjustments of the static timing. I have confirmed battery voltage is good thru the ignition sw to the box and all the grds were good however I upgraded by running all grounds including a new grd wire from headbolt to a central stainless lug and from there to the battery positive post. I confirmed the stator wires were not reversed and replaced the original 3 wire cable with a new 2 wire. Still no improvement-no start not even close. I pulled the carbs off and once again checked pilot jet circuits for obstruction- all clear. By now Im getting desperate as the ticklers work fine, it has new gas and besides it did run once very satisfactorily. I have slowly come to the conclusion the problem lies with the blue box and its timing chip. I have checked off all the trouble shooting suggestions provided by boyer and others on the net ie those already mentioned as well as examining the clearance between stator and rotor magnets, the strength of the 3 magnets and the health of the trigger coils- all good. Im told by boyer and the company in Canada that supplied it that failure of this unit is almost unheard of yet everything seems to suggest the problem is with the bluebox. I look forward to any suggestions or advice from the forum. Thanks
Liked Replies
#881721 May 28th a 07:00 PM
by triton thrasher
triton thrasher
My advice to anyone having a problem with Boyer Micro Power is give up immediately. It saves time.

Get another ignition system.
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com