Recently, a forum member who shall remain nameless (ok with you, Jon?) made a suggestion that perhaps I should break out the weed eater, machete, and something else to bring the encroaching jungle down a few feet lower..... So I did. In the ensuing green carnage, I happened to run across a cool rock that I ran across about 3 years ago.
Hawaii is made of volcanic rock. A young man living here once told me the tale of how a tourist stopped him and asked, " Where's the volcano?"
His reply: "You're standing on it."
That about sums it up. This island is young, and indeed it is still growing. (Yes, they DO still make real estate here.) So upon getting my property, the first step was to have a D9 rip the surface to break it up and permit leveling it out. In the process, the rock shown below was broken off of the lava. It's a surface piece with a very cool little plus.
See, years ago when the lava was running through this property, this little piece had something splash into the lava. Who knows what, but it left this very clear impression of that splash, obviously cooling and hardening into what you see rather quickly. Why, it's even better than Kodachrome as I can hold it in it's 3D glory right in my hand! Cool indeed!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Attached Images