Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
July 4th Sale at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 07/01/22 6:26 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
DavidP
DavidP
Crossville, TN
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 65
kevin 60
DavidP 59
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Lannis 23
MikeG 20
Newest Members
MartyH, Steve Sewell UK, BrokenLeg, Jeff Keller, Steveland
12,212 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (Lyle, Hugh Jörgen, Lannis, NickL), 11 guests, and 25 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,552
Posts776,406
Members12,212
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
BeezaBryan, bill50cal, David in Atlanta, DavidP, Gordon Gray, Howard Inough, HughdeMann, Kev., MikeG, royaloilfield
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#880876 05/17/2022 6:50 PM
by bill50cal
bill50cal
OK it is official. The date for the TSMR is Saturday may 20 2023. I would expect some to be here by Wednesday the 17th. the red coats can make there plans and we will have to do the same on this side of the pond. There are several air B&B options real close by for those that feel that roughing it is a motel without cable tv. Before you book one check in with me as i know for sure the scott cabins driveway is steep and motorcycle parking will be an issue
Liked Replies
#881489 May 25th a 02:44 PM
by Lannis
Lannis
Originally Posted by bill50cal
So lannis what is your vote???

Oh, toss ME under the bus, eh? Set ME up as The Bad Guy no matter which way we decide? facepalm wink

Keep in mind that we only have this question because we have ten fingers and thus use a decimal numbering system. If we used octal, then it wouldn't be 25 years but 31. If we used hexadecimal, it would only be 19 years, so it wouldn't be an issue. But since we DO use a decimal numbering system .....

1. Three people rode Britbikes across the mountains, although only two states were involved, we hadn't graduated to 3 yet. But whether it's the Two State Mountain ride, or the Three State Mountain Ride, it's still the TSMR, so there's that.
2. We were there because of our involvement in Britbikes via the "BSA Pitstop".
3. Morgan was there via phone, although nobody carried phones back then as I remember, it was tied to the wall with a wire.
4. A curious friend showed up to add to the group.
5. Even at that meeting, I was still riding on the factory K70s from 1969 and taking my life in my hands, so no, those weren't new tires.

It wasn't in Blowing Rock, but then again it's not in Blowing Rock NOW, and we still count the gatherings, so the location doesn't really matter.

So by the power vested in foisted upon me by the two posts above, I vote that we had 5 people (including a remote Morgan) at the first TSMR in 1999, seven at the second one in 2000, all the way up to 2022 which was the 24th one, and that next year 2023 will be the Silver Anniversary of TSMRs, in token of which special guests will be welcomed from England to help celebrate. So let it be written; so let it be done ....

Lannis
3 members like this
#881492 May 25th a 03:16 PM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
Lannis, you just proved once again.........why we're blessed to have had you around all these years my friend. smile

THE BRITISH ARE COMING!!!!!!!!

I've met Shaun and look forward to seeing him again.......but I've NEVER met Kev even though I feel like I know him through his posts and photo's.

2023 should be a hoot!!!!

Thank you again for being you Lannis.........G

PS.....honestly I don't think anybody else actually cares what year it is but 25 is one heck of a milestone.......it's been a long road and it would have just died out if Windy hadn't stepped up and took over.
3 members like this
#881839 May 30th a 02:02 PM
by Mr Mike
Mr Mike
I think (need to be careful about that). that I attended the first ride that was at the Blowing Rock Inn, and I am thinking 2000. I believe I rode a B44 VS. I attended the first 12 or 13 events riding a B44 SS, an A65 Lightning, and a B50 on different rides. I think in 2000 we had a torrential downpour in the last 20-30 minutes of the ride...I mean a real gully washer. I remember meeting Lannis, Gordon and Richard for the first time . I don't remember how many were on the ride but it wasn't that many bikes. I also remember having a hamburger at that restaurant just up the street.

My recollections from a fading memory.

Anyway, what a great annual event for BB enthusiasts, keep it going!

Mr Mike.
3 members like this
#885441 Jul 14th a 12:24 AM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
[Linked Image]

Plenty of time to put this one on the calendar. Meet some members face to face. EVERYBODY'S welcome. The focus is vintage British motorcycles but bring what ya got. Good chance you won't see any trailer queens on the campground.......unless you bring one and that's fine too.

The British are coming.....Kev and Shaun plan on being there. You know you want to come meet them......and help us welcome them back to the US.

Details to follow but the plan now is to make a week out of it with tale telling, riding, campground TV (fire pit), tire kicking, bike repair and plenty to eat.

Windy will leave a light on for ya.........G
Attached Images
3 members like this
#881367 May 23rd a 07:46 PM
by bill50cal
bill50cal
I am good with calling it the 25th. If more than one BB.Comr got together than that was the start of a good thing. So lets go with this.
2 members like this
#881501 May 25th a 05:59 PM
by Lannis
Lannis
Well you would think that at one time or another that lannis worked in a gubment office. It takes a true wordsmith to answer a simple question with a book. laughing laughing

But we still love ya bro.
beerchug

Mine isn't the longest post on this thread by a long chalk....

Lannis
2 members like this
#881854 May 30th a 03:26 PM
by bill50cal
bill50cal
Mr mike

It would be nice if you could make a showing but I fully understand if you don’t take care and keep the rubber side down.
2 members like this
#882495 Jun 7th a 08:13 PM
by Kev.
Kev.
I feel it will be a Three State Mountain Bimble when I arrive! laughing
2 members like this
#882561 Jun 8th a 05:28 PM
by MikeG
MikeG
I am not a fast rider...I am not a slow rider....I must be a half fast rider facepalm
2 members like this
#887279 Aug 3rd a 11:58 AM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
I’m not letting this tread go cold. There’s 10 months or so to go until May 2023.

We could discuss EI problems, crank free float, paint, oil, tires, or any of the other stuff we’ve gone over time and time again. I’m not saying any of that doesn’t help and I try to help when I feel I have something useful to add.

But this thread is about a “family” of friends that met off this site. We have ALWAYS welcomed new comers with open arms and maybe we’ll bring in some new blood in 2023. You ALL are welcome to join us.

As much as we’ve laughed…….there have been some sorrow along the way.

Tarvin
Bodger (aka Malcolm)
Craig (aka Bonzo)
Mr Ben
Mike Carter
Dennis Brown
Barb
and just last year we lost Robert ( aka Ob1)

If you weren’t lucky enough to have met any of these members….it was your loss.

All of them were bigger than life and could brighten up a cloudy day.

We’re going to welcome back our friends from the UK. Really wish a few more of them could make the trip. They are always such a joy to be around.

So it’s just 10 months away…….consider joining us. You ALL are welcome.

Gordon
2 members like this
#887865 Aug 9th a 03:32 AM
by Richrd
Richrd
I give up
Attached Images
2 members like this
#880879 May 17th a 07:38 PM
by Kev.
Kev.
its not the red coats you have to worry about, it is Shaun's red long johns!
1 member likes this
#881408 May 24th a 12:44 PM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
Sorry fellers......I'm feeling a bit beat up the past week. Seems like everything I touch goes to hell.....I need a win.

Lannis is 100% correct......if you don't count that lunch.

Over the years I went back and forth on whether to count the lunch or not. You'd have to go back to 1999 and read our thread about it but Im pretty sure we got together to discuss having a BritBike.com RIDE. At the time I was competing in AHRMA observed trials, running a T-shirt sale for the site and thinking about putting together a BritBike.com get together at Mid-Ohio. I had a lot on my plate.

We really didn't have a lot of members back then..(1999) .....600 or so and very few were active posting members....probably less than 100.

I had been thinking about having a ride centered out of Blowing Rock.......at the time of the lunch the route had us on top of Roan Mountain at one point but that changed before the actual first ride.

Trying to add up what Lannis has said the lunch was probably 1999 and the first actual ride was 2000. But over the years I began to include the lunch because of a couple of important things (at least to me). NUMBER ONE being it was (to my knowledge) the FIRST attempt by BB.com members to actually get together and I didn't want that to get lost. Number two is I was looking for help and Lannis and Alan both agreed to help.

When I say I hosted 15 rides.....I'm not including the lunch because Lannis actually hosted the lunch........that just adds to the confusion.

SO...........all that said the 25th IS an important milestone. IF you want to include the planning lunch then that makes the 2023 the 25th. If not then it's the 24th.

As far as I'm concerned......there are three of us (again) that have a vote. I vote for adding the planning lunch to the total but will go along with what Lannis and Windy have to say about it.

Yea, yea I know it's NOT a big deal.

On a side note.........some of you already know this but while we were at the lunch in VA......a waiter comes up to us with a phone and says a funny sounding guy is at the other end. Lannis probably remembers exactly what he said....I'm paraphrasing. It was MORGAN calling us all the way from Sweden!!!!!

Okay enough of that.........having Kev and Shaun over next year IS a big deal in my book. Whether we call it the 25th or not isn't. But at least we might finally put an end to the confusion I've caused over the years.

G
1 member likes this
#881366 May 23rd a 07:41 PM
by Lannis
Lannis
Hey, I'm OK with that .... I was thinking Blowing Rock, back when you had your surveying office just off Main, and we met at Cheeseburgers in Paradise, an' all like that.

But if Macado's in Roanoke VA counts as a Three State Mountain Ride, I'll go along with it!

Lannis
1 member likes this
#881365 May 23rd a 07:06 PM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
"Assuming that Gordon, Alan, and I met together to plan the first one in the fall of 99 or the spring of 2000, the first one couldn't have been earlier than May of 2000 ...."

Sorry........I consider the lunch that was attended by THREE BB.com members the FIRST BTSMR /TSMR.......we ALL THREE rode to the event. As far as I know it was the first time members planned a get together. Everyone was invited. Three of us showed up and one of Lannis friends joined in.

When Windy asked me which year this one was I clearly stated it depends on whether you count that lunch.

I started the ride, with help. I COUNT the lunch as NUMBER ONE.

I still suck at math but I do think 2023 is number 25.

Ya'll count what you want to.

G

PS.....

[Linked Image]

Old 110 print. I was hoping it had a time tag but pretty much knew it didn't.......been down that road before. I could be wrong Lannis but those tires don't look new.

The route was different and the location of the gathering changed ........sound familiar? TO ME this was our first.......
Attached Images
1 member likes this
#881017 May 19th a 08:36 AM
by BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
We are looking for pic from way back when ohno
1 member likes this
#881015 May 19th a 08:03 AM
by Kent Shaun
Kent Shaun
Kev lad, not my red union suit, it's Wade and his Red pants....A yarn worth telling over a beer, sat around a camp fire, whilst munching on a P'arn.... grin
1 member likes this
#881497 May 25th a 04:54 PM
by bill50cal
bill50cal
Well you would think that at one time or another that lannis worked in a gubment office. It takes a true wordsmith to answer a simple question with a book. laughing laughing

But we still love ya bro.
beerchug
1 member likes this
#881859 May 30th a 04:08 PM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
I need to decide if I'll have a pin made up for the 25th. I've always enjoyed handing them out. Bad thing is the min order is 100 and I end up with 50 or so left overs that I end up giving away later on....just not sure these days how much....later on I got.

Probably won't be around for the 50th so it's something else to think about.

Mr Mike.....it'd be nice to see you again. You sir were a BIG part of the beginning of the ride. Seeing you again at the beach this year has been the high point of the year for me.

Take care.......hopefully our paths will cross again soon.

Gordon
1 member likes this
#882014 Jun 1st a 05:32 PM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
[Linked Image]

Comments?

Silver colored metal instead of the gold color used in the past.

I know we're only talking about a handful of folks that actually care.....but what the heck.

G
Attached Images
1 member likes this
#882022 Jun 1st a 07:26 PM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
I know it is on a white background but Virginia just seems to disappear

[Linked Image]

Valid point but.......the white pops (IMO) on darker colors. I only know one fellow who has white leathers wink. Most everybody else has darker colored riding gear. So if not white......what?

BLUE and RED are going to fade into those same colors........I'm not sure where to stop?

That "logo" was used for at least 15 years like it is.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gordon
Attached Images
1 member likes this
#882065 Jun 2nd a 12:18 PM
by HughdeMann
HughdeMann
I like it.
1 member likes this
#882017 Jun 1st a 06:17 PM
by bill50cal
bill50cal
I know it is on a white background but Virginia just seems to disappear
1 member likes this
#882090 Jun 2nd a 04:22 PM
by Lannis
Lannis
Originally Posted by HughdeMann
I like it.

Me too....Go for it!
1 member likes this
#882558 Jun 8th a 04:57 PM
by BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
At least for the 2010 ride it was split into two groups, fast & not so fast.
1 member likes this
#882693 Jun 10th a 02:18 PM
by No Name Man
No Name Man
Lotsa people there that year. But I think I missed it. Or managed to avoid the camera
1 member likes this
#883054 Jun 15th a 02:59 PM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
Well if for no other reason than at least we’ll have something to send back with our UK brothers in crime……I placed the order for the 25th Anniversary pins.

See ya next May!!!!!

Gordon

PS……I got them from the exact same person I did 25 years ago……you gota like that.
1 member likes this
#882695 Jun 10th a 02:24 PM
by Richrd
Richrd
Wow, some of you were old even back then.
1 member likes this
#883480 Jun 21st a 06:53 PM
by Richrd
Richrd
you don't get that house finished, your wife is going to throw all of us out!
1 member likes this
#883535 Jun 22nd a 12:55 PM
by MikeG
MikeG
Well how a few of you guys come out and we will have a WORK party 🎉

Are you sure you would want the likes of US working on your house?

https://gifs.com/gif/have-you-hired-the-three-stooges-to-fix-your-plumbing-problems-yXQpZo
1 member likes this
#883610 Jun 23rd a 12:30 AM
by bill50cal
bill50cal
Met with the contractor today thats been helping me on this. He says he will be back on July 5 so we can get this thing totally dryed in but it winn still take a bit of time. We are thinking him snd crew working 6 AM to 10 am than he hoes to another job he had here. This way we are not fighting the heat while working on the dome.
1 member likes this
#883652 Jun 23rd a 04:29 PM
by bill50cal
bill50cal
Well i hate to say it BUT you guys are light. The quote was a 2 ton 21 seer york high efficiency heat pump and duct work. How does $22.000 sound?? No this is not a miss print
1 member likes this
#883658 Jun 23rd a 05:59 PM
by raf940
raf940
what Gordon said
1 member likes this
#886450 Jul 25th a 03:52 PM
by No Name Man
No Name Man
We tried that place the year the one closed that we had been going to. It was a limited success...
1 member likes this
#886487 Jul 25th a 07:55 PM
by MikeG
MikeG
If the price of gas is not prohibitive I plan on bringing the motorhome down and being able to do breakfast and a few dinners.
1 member likes this
#886514 Jul 25th a 11:32 PM
by MikeG
MikeG
Originally Posted by Gordon Gray
Can you haul a bike on the Motorhome?
PS.......AND the fight I have with my underwear inside the tent has been getting to the point........where the tent is winning.

I can haul a trailer full of bikes Gordon. It's a 33 foot class A bus. Way more than what I started out to get but it was too good a deal to pass up. Laurie and I have it parked a short walk from the ocean in York Beach Maine and it's been a nice place to spend the weekends, but if it was just me I would have gone much smaller. As it is we plan on maybe spending a few weeks (months?) in warmer climates during the winter if we ever get to the full retirement stage of life.

and it has plenty of head room so my drawers don't fight me too much
1 member likes this
#886470 Jul 25th a 06:27 PM
by bill50cal
bill50cal
The coffee shop has horrible hours and days they ate open. When they are open like gordon stated a bit pricey. Same with the restaurant around the corner from the drug store. I don’t see how any business stays in business in mountain city with the hours and days they keep.
1 member likes this
#886428 Jul 25th a 01:50 PM
by Richrd
Richrd
Don't worry about breakfast. Everyone is on their own sched in the morning and the early eaters don't want to wait for the late sleepers
1 member likes this
#886427 Jul 25th a 01:48 PM
by MikeG
MikeG
How come we never found that place! I thought we had all the decent places covered.
1 member likes this
#886521 Jul 26th a 12:12 AM
by bill50cal
bill50cal
mike this is worthless without pictures
1 member likes this
#886523 Jul 26th a 12:29 AM
by MikeG
MikeG
https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/05_Allegro.pdf

This is what it is. Mine is the 32ba
1 member likes this
#886568 Jul 26th a 02:23 PM
by MikeG
MikeG
OK, I'll fire up the Kodak this weekend and take a few snapshots (am I showing my age?) then figure out how to post them facepalm We are about 250 steps from the beach in a camper park, just have to make it past the 3 bars in between.
1 member likes this
#886585 Jul 26th a 04:14 PM
by Lannis
Lannis
I just got a notice that the pins have shipped so we'll get a look at those soon.

There was a year where Lannis and Mr Mike went off on a journey on their own. I recently found a map that probably has the exact roads they were on.

Part of the TSMR is at the bottom left of the map.....HWY 58.

Just goes to show you what kinda country the event is held in........for those who've never attended.

[Linked Image]

Pin photos as soon as they get here.

G

Yes, I've gone back and had a look at what we did that day .... As everyone knows, US58 makes a couple of right-angle turns that if you're not looking for them (or if there isn't a colorful "TSMR" sign or two on the shoulder), you will blow right through them and be on some other road, which, in that part of the world, doesn't look all that different from US58.

I was on my Firebird and Mr. Mike on his 441, and we went right past the right turn on US58, and took county road 603 toward Konnarock without even noticing we'd done it.

After a while we said "This doesn't look right, but look, here's White Top Road, that sounds familiar, we need to take a left, don't we?". It was White Top Road all right, but about when we thought we would come out in Laurel Fork or somewhere, we came to Interstate 81 well up into Virginia at Chilhowie. Shoulda took a right.

We had no map or GPS, but we knew that South was the way to go, so since we were on our Interstate cruising bikes, we headed south on I-81 and saw a sign that said "Damascus This Way". Well, we knew how to get home from Damascus, so that's what we did, and got back to Blowing Rock around dark or so ..... !

Good times.

Lannis
1 member likes this
#886579 Jul 26th a 03:55 PM
by Lannis
Lannis
Gas prices….so far I’ve not seen any evidence that a fellow can take it with him. If you place a (dead) rich and poor man in a field at the same time……then come back in six months…..my bet is they will pretty much look the same.

G

That's all very well as a basic philosophical statement, and I don't disagree with it, but when an expense for this old fixed-income pensioner goes up by $400 a month, another expense has to come DOWN by $400 a month, and sometimes that includes some fun things, and eventually somewhat "necessary" things.

So since I can't just pull a few extra hours of overtime like I used to, I have to decide sometimes to not drive somewhere to which I would have liked to drive ....

Lannis
1 member likes this
#886827 Jul 29th a 04:23 PM
by Hugh Jörgen
Hugh Jörgen
The only thing missing off the shelves where I am is tin foil.
Been a real run on that stuff.
1 member likes this
#886829 Jul 29th a 04:37 PM
by No Name Man
No Name Man
Call me cynical but I think most things in the world revolve around money. Including the "emergencies"
1 member likes this
#886847 Jul 29th a 07:04 PM
by Hugh Jörgen
Hugh Jörgen
Did you go for the X-ray specs or the Sea Monkeys?
1 member likes this
#887029 Aug 1st a 12:29 AM
by MikeG
MikeG
mike this is worthless without pictures

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]toshiba satellite keyboard not working

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]keyboard test

Proof it's real!
1 member likes this
#887061 Aug 1st a 12:43 PM
by MikeG
MikeG
You sure it is yours? Looking in that fridge it is short on beer and where is the fudge? laughing

Picture was taken on a Sunday morning, most of the fridge contents didn't make it past Saturday night whistle
1 member likes this
#887052 Aug 1st a 10:46 AM
by bill50cal
bill50cal
You sure it is yours? Looking in that fridge it is short on beer and where is the fudge? laughing
1 member likes this
#887068 Aug 1st a 01:34 PM
by MikeG
MikeG
I like that smile on the maroon one piece.

Photographic proof Mike still has it……………. thumbsup

That is a wonderful rig and set up. Also another bubble popped……I had no clue youse guys had white sand. I thought it would be rocky cliffs!

Just like when I went to visit Mr John in Michigan. I was sure those lakes were full of old tires and beer cans.

Gordon

Lots of it is rocks Gordon, just little pockets of sandy beach here and there. This one is called Short Sands, about 1/4 of a mile long if that. Next is Long Sands beach, about 2 miles long but in between is this, cape Neddick

https://www.google.com/search?q=cap...0j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#

As far as the maroon suit..she's probably thinking "who is that pervert with the camera and why is it pointed at me?"
1 member likes this
#887082 Aug 1st a 03:33 PM
by Richrd
Richrd
Here,
Attached Images
1 member likes this
#887084 Aug 1st a 03:36 PM
by Richrd
Richrd
Prevert? Hell,I wasn't even there!
1 member likes this
#887087 Aug 1st a 03:54 PM
by Richrd
Richrd
Hell gordon,you're a super nice guy compared to the Omaha chapter of the Sons of Mediocrity gang
1 member likes this
#887095 Aug 1st a 05:26 PM
by MikeG
MikeG
Originally Posted by Richrd
Prevert? Hell,I wasn't even there!

Maybe she knows I know you.....
1 member likes this
#887130 Aug 1st a 11:22 PM
by MikeG
MikeG
I could tell you all the truth but it would spoil the fun so.......
1 member likes this
#887118 Aug 1st a 08:58 PM
by Lannis
Lannis
Originally Posted by Richrd
That's why I use long lens

Perves gota have their tools.

No way I’m believing that Lannis…….you sir have been out of the game way to long. Of course it’s just my opinion but my story is way better than yours.

Gordon

......"you sir have been out of the game way too long....." I didn't realize how well played that was until I tried to respond.

If I say "Yes, I HAVE been out of the game a long time", then I admit defeat, have to turn in my Man Card, and reveal myself as a whipped, neutered tomcat.

If I say "Oh no I HAVEN'T", then I have to give evidence of how I've "still been in the game", and the consequences of that wouldn't bear scrutiny .....

So go on then. What's the rest of the story? What did she tell her friends? How did she track MikeG down via his RV license plate? How is she going to get hooked up without risking big trouble for moose and squirrel? .....

Lannis
1 member likes this
#887189 Aug 2nd a 02:23 PM
by Lannis
Lannis
"Mike's wearing nothing but a fire engine red....European Speedo."

Message to MikeG - Mike, we have obviously tipped this situation over the edge, jumped the shark, gone critical, broken Western, whatever you want to call it. You could be in some serious ... well, not 'danger', but something near it. We have to de-escalate somehow. Perhaps some sort of 12-step intervention is called for, I don't know .....

Good luck!

Lannis
1 member likes this
#887200 Aug 2nd a 04:17 PM
by MikeG
MikeG
Originally Posted by Lannis
"Mike's wearing nothing but a fire engine red....European Speedo."

Perhaps some sort of 12-step intervention is called for, I don't know .....

Good luck! Lannis

“Hello, my name is Gordon and I’m European Speedo dependent “

“Hello Gordon…… would you mind covering that up? Some of us have just eaten”

G

I have not now, or ever, worn a banana hammock bathing suit! ohno.....but I will admit to having a pair of assless leather chaps...but I've never worn them.
1 member likes this
#887297 Aug 3rd a 06:11 PM
by bill50cal
bill50cal
[quote=Lannis]

Will May ever get here?
Will Windy finally move into the dome?
What will richrd make the trip on?
Will Gordon just give it up and stay in a tent?
Will someone FINALLY bring pie irons to the campground?

Yes
If not there will either be a divorce or killing
4 wheels
Not my problem
See above

laughing
beerchug
1 member likes this
#887498 Aug 4th a 11:10 PM
by bill50cal
bill50cal
She said she will take any help she can get
eek.
Maybe i should start sleeping with one eye open.
laughing
1 member likes this
#887549 Aug 5th a 04:24 PM
by BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
She said she will take any help she can get
eek.
Maybe i should start sleeping with one eye open.
laughing

Might be better sleeping with your arms wrapped round a 12 bore, hammers back of course laughing
2c
1 member likes this
#886822 Jul 29th a 04:02 PM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
Lannis I had planned on retiring a few years back with big plans to travel cross country on a BSA unit single. I could blame ED V for keeping the engine I’ve asked him to rebuild for me……..for years now. ( my mistake might have been when I mentioned “spare”) But right now I’m okay with still working. If I retired today I’d be fine……I married well.

BUT what I really want to know is when was this magical period in American history
you’re wanting to get back to.

I started off in 1950 and have lived through some pretty crappy times. Cuban missile crisis, Viet Nam, Civil Rights, Trump……… I guess I could go back further but then you have two world wars.

“Maybe we'll get back to that someday”

“get back” implies we were there at one time. When was that?

G
1 member likes this
#887674 Aug 7th a 06:06 AM
by DavidP
DavidP
Originally Posted by Hugh Jörgen
Did you go for the X-ray specs or the Sea Monkeys?
No, but I went for the "invisible force field." I got instructions to build an electro-magnet.
1 member likes this
#887729 Aug 7th a 08:42 PM
by bill50cal
bill50cal
Gordon i think at one point there was one in front of and out of allans sight but i can’t remember who that was.
1 member likes this
#887732 Aug 7th a 08:53 PM
by Lannis
Lannis
Lannis......I'm not sure what triggered John. He was mad, I was trying to make sure that didn't happen again. I ended up losing both of them.
I really enjoyed them BOTH being around. Alan and I spent a lot of quality time together because of the ride. How could you NOT like John being around "It'll rearrange your molecules" I'm not sure John knew the route by heart. Pretty sure we had route sheets back then but they are pretty useless....if you don't keep up with them from the start. Start out just following and it might be hard to pick up where in the world you are. I suffer that at Mike's OSMR. Been there several times......recognize a lot of the same roads. But I'd not be able to make it back to the motel without a map. So I have to try my best to keep up.

[Linked Image]

LOT'S of water's passed under that bridge...........just like this one. Anybody wanta tell me where this is?........I've got two hints.....but only one for now. It was always on your right......until it wasn't.

[Linked Image]

G[i][/i]

Looks like the stream from the trout pond at Banner Elk.
1 member likes this
#887821 Aug 8th a 05:44 PM
by MikeG
MikeG
[
Been part of the ride since the first ride [u]up there. [/u]

G

OK then...this makes me think it might be at a point where we get on the dreaded Blue Ridge parkway?

Or on the way to Greyson Highlands ? I recall a few group pictures up there..
1 member likes this
#887808 Aug 8th a 03:28 PM
by MikeG
MikeG
How about a clue as to which state it's in?
1 member likes this
#887848 Aug 8th a 10:30 PM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
Dreaded Parkway photo........everybody knows where this is. BUT......we've been over it when the fog was so thick you couldn't see 10' in front of you.

[Linked Image]

Gordon.....I'm not a robot
Attached Images
1 member likes this
#887850 Aug 8th a 11:08 PM
by MikeG
MikeG
Dreaded Parkway photo........everybody knows where this is. BUT......we've been over it when the fog was so thick you couldn't see 10' in front of you.
Gordon.....I'm not a robot

Or behind you either! That was the scary part, not knowing if the guy behind you saw a tail lamp or not.
1 member likes this
#887854 Aug 8th a 11:41 PM
by MikeG
MikeG
One last guess, even though I know it ain't right. Looks a bit like the lower end of 221 out of Blowing Rock just before it intersects route 105(?). A hard left hand turn at the bottom of the hill,a waterfall on your right, over a stone bridge then on to 105. Pick up the BRP back to Blowing Rock. I know that that was never part of the ride but I did it lots of times just for fun when folks were sitting around the motel with no particular ideas in mind.
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com