Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Pennsyltuckey
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 69
kevin 52
Allan G 50
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 29
Newest Members
Ian Scotland UK, cherbini, grahamsmythe, Joe Santelik, Lord Hepcat
12,156 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (TinkererToo, Dave Comeau, Burga007), 21 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,286
Posts772,333
Members12,156
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, Bikerlaw, kevin, kommando, Mark Z
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Bikerlaw
Bikerlaw
Hello all:

This is my first post and introduction. Due to this virus thing, yet another bike shop folded up, and threw a beloved third party I was able to pick up what you see here. I'm not new to British motorcycles, but this is my first BSA. I was initially told that by the folks that bought out the bike shop (long time and beloved and trusted friends of mine) that they picked up a titled 1966 A65 BSA 650 Lightning! I was beside myself because....TO ME, the 1966 Lightning, is the pinnacle of the British reign of motorcycle cool. The problem is (as you can see), that except for MAYBE the engine, very little, if anything left is from a 1966 Lightning.

Now, I have a clean 1966 BSA A65 Lightning title, but this is where it gets goofy, the engine in question seems to be a factory replacement engine, and where the VIN numbers should be, it's just marked BSA BSA BSA...... All the "BSA Experts" I have talked to seem to think that's what one would see on a factory warranty replacement engine, and it would have been up to the dealer to stamp the correct VIN number into the pad? I am totally clueless and need some forum guidance. What say you???

So, please accept my introduction and advise me as where I should start, to be able to get this pile of parts together, and how I can go about getting this legally titled in my name and registered to ride (some day) on the street, without having to make excuses to a snoopy police office about a hokey VIN number.... smile I know better than to start dumping money into a project, BEFORE I have good numbers and a good title. But if I can get this straight, it should make a cool project.

Thanks, Neil

Hummmm..... I have plenty of pictures to help describe my issues, but I guess I am not yet allowed to post pictures yet???
Liked Replies
by NickL
NickL
The late (71/72) engines/gearboxes were the best of 'em by a long way.
I'd happily give you a profit on it.

BTW, it's better not to post photo's of garbage collection trucks like the one above.
This is, after all, a motorbike orientated site.
3 members like this
by Tridentman
Tridentman
In most if not all states the title refers to the frame number not the engine number.
So IMHO you need to look diligently for the frame number in the locations as previously identified by prior posters.
If there is genuinely no frame number (as well as no engine number) then you have a problem.
You could try to get some sort of identifying number from your state DMV--but this would probably be a short cut to a mental breakdown as states normally expect the number to be designated by the manufacturer.
The other alternative is to stamp the frame with the same number as on the title you have.
Not strictly legal but I guess we all probably broke the law today by driving over the speed limit.
You could leave the engine unstamped and describe it as probably a warranty replacement where the dealer presumably forgot to stamp the replacement engine.
The year of the bike and the year of the title would not match but you could register it and use it as a rider.
I can't see that anyone would be harmed by doing this and it fits with what I was taught many years ago by my motorcycling mentor.
One of his favorite sayings was:
"The law is for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools"
1 member likes this
by DMadigan
DMadigan
The first OIFs had the lunch box latch for the seat, later changed to a sprint plunger knob. And the hinges were moved to the opposite side because as you might have already found out, the seat drops closed when on the side stand. I guess they figured you would never have the seat open unless on the centre stand.
You have a fairly complete '71 Lightning.
The broken front mudguard stays is a little unusual as it was better re-enforcement than the original 1/4" wire stays.
Missing the tool tray between the coils and rear mudguard.
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com