Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
wilksville
wilksville
manchester england
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 80
Allan G 54
kevin 52
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 31
gunner 27
Newest Members
budpotter, Mark Sharp, Ian Scotland UK, cherbini, grahamsmythe
12,158 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gordon Gray, Adam M., Les P, Magnetoman), 24 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,301
Posts772,503
Members12,158
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, MikeG, Rohan
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#879045 04/30/2022 2:53 AM
by tiger_cub
tiger_cub
I have painted my Triumph rear engine plates 3 times now and keep getting a wrinkled finish. I have used exactly the same primer and top coat on the oil tank and got a great finish, just can't understand what isn't compatible with what. Everything was cleaned, one engine plate was chromed, one was original paint but both come out the same. The only difference I can see is it has got a bit colder, but its still above 20 degrees C. Any ideas?
Liked Replies
#879160 May 1st a 02:11 AM
by R Moulding
R Moulding
The problem you have been having is caused by too many heavy coats without enough time to dry between coats. Essentially you are trapping thinner under each coat when it should have evaporated. After while so much builds up that it attacks the paint and causes it to wrinkle.

Try holding your can further away from the piece and applying much lighter coats.
2 members like this
#879053 Apr 30th a 06:08 AM
by Mark Z
Mark Z
I was having that problem after applying a second coat of some enamel spray paint. The problem was, I was not allowing enough curing time for the first coat, and the second coat was lifting the first coat. The humidity was a bit high, which probably lengthened the required curing time. This was on bare, clean metal.

Read the can carefully, and perhaps try a different brand of paint. Some say to recoat within a couple of minutes or after 48 hours, some say recoat any time within the first hour, and some say to wait one day instead of two days.
1 member likes this
#881471 May 25th a 08:30 AM
by R Moulding
R Moulding
I would go along with Tridentman but also swap the primer for a 1k epoxy. This should completely seal of the bare steel.
1 member likes this
#881441 May 24th a 11:47 PM
by Tridentman
Tridentman
A couple of years ago I bought a "Dave Hills" center stand for my newly acquired Vincent Rapide. (Now unfortunately it is Dave Hills RIP).
The change involved changing the rear engine plates---- the new ones were supplied as part of the kit.
The engine plates and stand were supplied unpainted.
I degreased the components applied a phosphoric acid solution and everything looked good.
I then applied a coat of POR-15.
The stand looked fine but the engine plates went all wrinkled.
I removed the paint from the plates, degreased and repainted.
Same wrinkled result.
I decided that the problem was that the plate had been contaminated by oil used in the rolling process which had been rolled deep into the surface of the plate.
Part of the reason I came to that conclusion was that the flat faces of the plate were wrinkled whereas the paint finish on the edges of the plates was fine.
So I removed the paint from the plates (again) and then sanded them down with coarse then fine emery paper.
Repeated the painting process and the paint finish was fine.
HTH
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com