Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
The Bonneville Shop
The Bonneville Shop
Broomfield, Colorado, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 80
Allan G 54
kevin 52
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 31
gunner 27
Newest Members
budpotter, Mark Sharp, Ian Scotland UK, cherbini, grahamsmythe
12,158 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jon W. Whitley, R Moulding, Gordon Gray, Richrd, raf940), 22 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,301
Posts772,503
Members12,158
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
Beach, gavin eisler, Gordon Gray, Mark Z, Vincent Esposito
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#878959 04/29/2022 1:47 PM
by Mark Z
Mark Z
Please no debate on the pros and cons of rim locks; mine have been gone for a long time, and will remain gone, for better or worse.

This is about closing the holes vacated by the rim locks. Last time around, I used button-head screws, with rubber washers and Nylock nuts on the outside. This worked ok through two or three rear tires, but this time, after removing the tire, I noticed that the button-head screws had made holes in the rim strip, right in the center at the edges of the hex sockets.

It was a crappy rim strip, and I'm using a better one this time, but I really don't want anything sticking up inside the rim, and perhaps it's not necessary - the only reason to close the holes is to keep water out, and for appearance. Somewhere I've seen machine screws with very thin, flat heads, but I couldn't find anything like that in the hardware store.

So this time I'm trying a couple of layers of aluminum tape on the inside, over the holes. This leaves a slight recess on the outside, the thickness of the rim, with the sticky side of the tape exposed in the holes. So I'm thinking of filling the holes with clear silicone, in order to keep water out and keep the tape clean.
Liked Replies
#879052 Apr 30th a 05:50 AM
by Mark Z
Mark Z
Ok, after more surfing, I found that they make plugs especially for this purpose.

I just ordered these: https://chargedcycleworks.com/products/drc-rim-hole-plugs
2 members like this
#878967 Apr 29th a 02:59 PM
by slow learner
slow learner
I guess duct tape works fine as a rim liner on a race bike but it does not work if you are going to be traveling with a heavy load (pillion passenger plus lots of luggage) in a hot climate. My wife and i crossed Utah in the middle of July two up on an MSS Velocette. Experienced multiple flat tires in that one day. Tubes were found to be cut on the inside in a line that corresponded to the edge of the duct tape I was using as a rim liner. Switched back to rubber rim tapes and have never had that problem under similar circumstances.
1 member likes this
#878979 Apr 29th a 05:14 PM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
Mark......Lowes used to carry them in their "hardware drawers" but they dropped those. They would have to be the flush type and would probably need a "dab" of adhesive to keep them in place but it's the only thing I can think of that would look "clean" IMO.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'll ask my son about that this weekend..........he's coming in for MerleFest. He just told me that one day when I was fussing about somebody being a dumbshit. I see examples of it almost every day. Will Rogers or Mark Twain probably covered all of it at one time or another.

Gordon
Attached Images
1 member likes this
#879028 Apr 29th a 10:49 PM
by Mark Z
Mark Z
Originally Posted by Gordon Gray
Mark......Lowes used to carry them in their "hardware drawers" but they dropped those. They would have to be the flush type and would probably need a "dab" of adhesive to keep them in place but it's the only thing I can think of that would look "clean" IMO.
Gordon

I didn't find anything in the hardware store today, or at NAPA. Searching online, it seems like they have every size EXCEPT 5/16"! I knew about these though, we have 3/8" ones at work.

Originally Posted by quinten
rim lock plug is not really necessary as others have said but cleans up the hole without adding weight .
big head goes to the inside.

[Linked Image from cdn.shopify.com]

Hmm, an actual motorcycle part, that didn't occur to me but probably should have. I'll check it out.

Originally Posted by quinten
or you could just cut the stem off an old tube and stuff it in the rim lock hole
and show it off as a new monster tube with 2 fillers.

Actually, that would be THREE valve stems (there were two rim locks).
Originally Posted by Andy Higham
On my race bike, the front wheel has rim lock holes. I filled them with NOTHING. The rim tape covers the holes
Right, well I will at least have the aluminum tape because it's already in there.
1 member likes this
#879057 Apr 30th a 06:47 AM
by DavidP
DavidP
Well shoot, that sinks my idea of using carriage bolts in the holes to make people think I used rim locks on the front. laughing
I have a WM3 rim on the front of the Trident, so it has the holes, but I use a new rim strip at every tire change.
1 member likes this
#880007 May 9th a 12:46 AM
by kevin
kevin
well, ill see what i have time to do. next weekend im training the number three son on the 250 ninja, as he's racing this summer for the first time and is inexperienced with the machine. im also doing something else that will take up the rest of the weekend but i cannot remember what it is.

remember when you could remember things? i can barely remember remembering.
1 member likes this
#880204 May 10th a 09:20 PM
by Mark Z
Mark Z
We had a similar problem putting optional tire liners in our mobility scooter tires, which are 2.50" X 16" moped tires. These are rather stiff plastic strips that go between the tire and the inner tube, and are supposed to prevent flats from thorns and such. (They won't stop a nail, though.)

The ends of the tire liners were biting into the tubes. Now we round the corners and chamfer the ends with a belt sander before installation.
1 member likes this
#880206 May 10th a 09:28 PM
by Mark Z
Mark Z
By the way, I received my rubber rim hole plugs (God that sounds bad!) in the mail, and now the wheel and tire are off to a garage for mounting and balancing.

A nice 100% rust free rim has been a long time in coming for Betty Bitsa. And now this one with stainless steel spokes and a powder-coated hub!
1 member likes this
#880207 May 10th a 09:33 PM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
"By the way, I received my rubber rim hole plugs......."

Mark.......we're not here to judge. laughing

Sounds like you got it well sorted..........................in the end. whistle

Gordon
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com