Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
TR6Ray
TR6Ray
Illinois, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 87
Allan G 56
kevin 50
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 33
Newest Members
Jim Harris, Cuppy, budpotter, Mark Sharp, Ian Scotland UK
12,160 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
7 members (MrMarty51, bsalloyd, HayMike, Chris Johnson, Lannis, DAMadd, quinten), 22 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,311
Posts772,635
Members12,160
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
breeze1954, Gordon Gray, gREgg-K, Hugh Jörgen, kevin
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Deadstiffcatt
Deadstiffcatt
Miss Penny, the Triumph, is turning 57 years old this year. Although a fairly good daily rider, she is beginning to develope health issues. Among other small maladies, her mechanic (me) has recognised that one of them is that her AAU is gradually wearing down. Although an EI transplant has been suggested in consults with other mechanics, her auto advance immune system is more than likely going to reject any attempt to install EI. Soooooooooo..............
I'm looking for donations of old 6CA Auto Advance units from a Triumph 500 or 650. Why donations? Well, obviously I'm cheap! But, beyond that, most people who have one sitting on the shelf probably won't know whether it is good or not anyway as they replaced their points with EI decades ago. Besides the springs, the shafts also wear and that is quite hard to identify unless it is actually installed on a bike.
So many of them will be hit or miss on my end, and I can't afford to throw the bucks away on a 'maybe.'
So if you have an old one or ten, and you'd like to donate it to keep Miss Penny running, drop me a PM. Dealers who have dozens in the "swapped out for EI box" welcome to reply too (hint,hint)
I'm hoping to get around 10 of them, I figure I may get lucky and either pull a couple good ones out or mix and match pieces to make a couple 'might last a longer time' usable ones. (2 out of 10 seems a reasonable estimate.)

Lucas 6 CA aau circa 1968 to 1971 clockwise rotation, identifiers include line on front (outer) cam side, the back side that plugs into the camshaft has a small notch for timing alignment, backside should also be stamped with 12 degree marking. Lucas part no. 54419340- may be or not on backside of unit.

BSA unit will not work-wrong direction of rotation and advance.

Thanks! Wishing all a simply ordinary day! Cheers!
Liked Replies
by Mike Baker
Mike Baker
I have one- new in box. It was gifted to me by Hugh the Man AKA Marlin.
These things need to be shared and paid forward. It's yours if you want it. Only stipulation is you need to pass something on to someone else.
5 members like this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com