Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
July 4th Sale at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 07/01/22 6:26 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
DavidP
DavidP
Crossville, TN
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 65
kevin 60
DavidP 59
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Lannis 23
MikeG 20
Newest Members
MartyH, Steve Sewell UK, BrokenLeg, Jeff Keller, Steveland
12,212 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Tridentman, Hugh Jörgen), 19 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,552
Posts776,406
Members12,212
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
dave j, leon bee, maylar, wilksville
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by maylar
maylar
I know a long time Norton Commando owner who has recently had his right foot amputated ("below the knee"). His bike is a right shift, not a MKIII. Does anyone know of a rider who has successfully managed to shift a Brit bike with a prosthesis? Or perhaps converted the foot shift to a hand shift on the handlebars?

The Norton represents 47 years of his life and he is absolutely unwilling to replace it with a left shift machine. He will ride it again, come hell or high water.
Liked Replies
by Deadstiffcatt
Deadstiffcatt
I ride and have ridden a tank shift on my Triumph for decades now. I use a right hand shift and operate clutch as usual with the left hand. It takes a small window of adjustment to mentally get used to it, these days I can bang out shifts about as fast as I could with the old foot lever.
1 member likes this
by Deadstiffcatt
Deadstiffcatt
[Linked Image]

Basic system details:

1. Tank shifter mount: a plate with about a 4 inch section of pipe having a 3/8 id. as well as a threaded nut all welded into a single unit. Welded at a right angle to the pipe is a brace strap that bolts to the front gas tank mount; the plate section is bolted just behind the coils at the center backbone of frame.

2. Tank shifter: a long hunk of metal shaped to fit basic contour of tank with a piece of 3/8 id pipe bout 2 1/2 inches long welded to it. At. center of pipe weld point, shifter is about 35% lto 40% length below weld; above weld it is about 6o to 65 % the length. Top has welded upside down bolt to accept threaded knob. Bottom has hole drilled to accept clevis pin.

3. Shifter at trans has toe tip cut off then drilled to accept clevis pin, then is rotated and mounted in a position to match tank shifter.

4. Shifter linkage is 5/16 rod with adjustable clevis's at each end.

In the next month I will be pulling tank and can supply more detailed pictures of tank shifter mounting.
Attached Images
1 member likes this
by AngloBike
AngloBike
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/33136588...QzMqbQww0C4i5_q7BTfmJetWvnBoCHd0QAvD_BwE

So looks like it might be easier to weld the heel piece off a RH brake t140 or make and fold something
1 member likes this
by BSA_WM20
BSA_WM20
If he has enough feel then he can fit a rocker pedal so he shifts his foot forward or backwards to change up & down
I ripped my foot off back in 72 .
They put it back on again but there is next to no ankle movement so I press down with my thigh and hook the heel of the boot into the gear lever & pull up to shift up
A lot of the scooters had rocker pedals because they were designed for women to ride and lifting the pedal with their toes would ruin their shoes
It will od course how much feel he has
I often miss gears & have great difficulty doing a 3 to 2 down shift ( up on my box ) but you get use to it
Please wish him the best of British luck
And yes I have been left foot kick starting ever since , you get used to it .
1 member likes this
by Mark Z
Mark Z
My 2 cents: It seems like a hand shifter would be the most expedient and least intrusive solution. The setup displayed by Deadstiffcat looks pretty simple to implement. Shifting would be a bit slower and more deliberate, but you're not canyon racing... or are you?
1 member likes this
by Deadstiffcatt
Deadstiffcatt
Update on photos of hand shift by tank- with tank removed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Attached Images
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com