Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
10% Off Girling at The Bonneville Shop 2/3-2/9/23
by The Bonneville Shop - 02/03/23 6:14 pm
New FAQ post
News & Announcements
Premium members! 🌟
by Morgan aka admin - 02/04/23 2:40 pm
Buy BritBike staff a coffee ☕️ or pint 🍺
by Morgan aka admin - 01/15/23 9:29 am
Benefactor ✅
by Morgan aka admin - 01/08/23 8:38 pm
How to guides - Technical articles
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
Fisherman
Fisherman
Tennessee
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 84
DavidP 83
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 34
DavidP 27
Newest Members
Uneasy Rider, Mally, Daveed, 70Triumph, Knight57Corv
12,392 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,551
Posts784,416
Members12,392
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Thread Like Summary
johnu
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#875445 03/23/2022 9:48 PM
by johnu
johnu
I have a 1959 A10 and the clutch works fine for about 15 - 20mins after start up but after that when you come to a stop I can't get neutral, also the bike creeps forward on its own. I have virtually zero free play at the lever so I know I'm getting full movement. I have not worked on the engine of this bike before (I inherited it from my dad) and would like to know how I should adjust the clutch. Thanks.
Liked Replies
#875448 Mar 23rd a 10:26 PM
by chaterlea25
chaterlea25
Hi Johnu
A not unheard of problem !! You do not say which type of clutch is fitted 4 or 6 spring ?
Adjust the mechanism and cable according to the service sheets,https://cybermotorcycle.com/archives/bsa-super-rocket/service.htm
The gearbox top lever should operate through 90 degrees to the cable as should the "pusher" inside the gearbox outer cove inspection cover. Is the handlebar lever standard and the pivot unworn?
General wear of the clutch components can cause the plates to stick, (ridges on the drum and hub and worn plate tabs)
Is the oil level correct and is the oil of a suitable grade?

If the bike has a 6 spring clutch Magnetoman has a very detailed rebuild thread here,
https://cybermotorcycle.com/archives/bsa-super-rocket/service.htm

John
1 member likes this
#875603 Mar 25th a 12:37 AM
by Ignoramus
Ignoramus
as well as adjustment it could easily be that some of the steel plates are distorted ... worth checking ... you will never properly adjust a clutch that has non flat steel plates
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2023 britbike.com