Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Pennsyltuckey
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 69
kevin 52
Allan G 50
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 29
Newest Members
Ian Scotland UK, cherbini, grahamsmythe, Joe Santelik, Lord Hepcat
12,156 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (TinkererToo, Dave Comeau, Burga007), 21 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,286
Posts772,333
Members12,156
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
BobV07662, Gordon Gray
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#874376 03/13/2022 7:47 PM
by MikeG
MikeG
I've taken on the task of getting a neighbors Kawasaki KLR running after a 4or 5 year sleep. I know, its not Brit but it's still s nice bike. The carb and tank are gummed up with very old gas and Marvel Mystery oil. He always ran non ethanol fuel so there is no rust, but whats in the tank is like tar and smelled like the old gas smell I remembered back in the good old days of leaded premium pump gas. I'm thinking that a good soak and rinse with dry gas (alcohol) will melt/loosen/dissolve the mung in the tank maybe? The carb is coming clean with a soak in Hydro Seal but thats not practical for the tank.
Liked Replies
#876665 Apr 4th a 01:07 PM
by henryanthony
henryanthony
Acetone and drywall screws. Shaken, not stirred.

When it looks perfectly clean, add fuel and start motor. You may find vibration has loosened even more hardened fuel and has clogged the taps. Rinse and repeat...
1 member likes this
#876903 Apr 6th a 01:45 PM
by MikeG
MikeG
Originally Posted by henryanthony
Originally Posted by PFribley
And the name of that product would be?????

Sorry, when I wrote my comment I didn’t feel like going out to the garage whistle.

PPG DX520 but that was years ago. Might now be SX520. I haven’t purchased any in a while. I also use it to remove rust from small hardware bits, nuts, bolts, etc. I soak them in a glass jar. You have to monitor the process. The stuff is pretty aggressive. It makes bubbles when working. When done I screw the cap on and save it until next time. Beware of sticker shock - $35 for a quart!

SEM makes a similar product called Rust Mort. I've also used Evap-O-Rust for the same thing.
As a followup, I gave the tank back to the bikes owner and told him to have a go at it. He used acetone to get the sludge out then did the hand full of screws and shake trick. Worked fine.
1 member likes this
#876946 Apr 6th a 11:30 PM
by Mark Z
Mark Z
Pardon me if I'm stating the obvious, but remove the petcock(s) before cleaning the tank. I know, it's a PITA because then you have to plug the hole(s), but you don't want to destroy screen filters which may be on the petcocks.
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com