Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Morgan aka admin
Morgan aka admin
Sävedalen, Sweden
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 88
Allan G 56
kevin 50
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 33
Newest Members
Jim Harris, Cuppy, budpotter, Mark Sharp, Ian Scotland UK
12,160 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
5 members (Magnetoman, Hugh Jörgen, Noe, JubeePrince, bsalloyd), 22 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,310
Posts772,624
Members12,160
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
L.A.kevin, NYBSAGUY
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#874056 03/10/2022 1:03 AM
by L.A.kevin
L.A.kevin
Hello fellow Gold Star owners! I'm getting some parts together for my CB34. The top end on my bike has a worn piston. It still has the Oval crank. I have tried reaching out to Phil Pearson with no luck. I do have an old email direct to him, but was trying to use his new business address. From my research on this forum, His business address is now at the website bsagoldstar.bike. I have tried that site and sent in an inquiry, with no response. So website shows a listing for an NEB crank. that's not the same as a Pearson crank is it? I am not on Facebook so I don't know yet that is the valid site. Can any of you comment?

Alternately… since the engine on this bike has the oval flywheel, Would it be worth considering simply changing the conrod to a Carillo and call it a day?

Another thing about the engine on my bike, is that it has a M20 timing cover on it. It does not have the rotating breather. I was able to find a timing cover as spare with the quill on it so I'm partway to having the right breather setup. If I was considering pure function, is it worth it to get all the rest of the bits to complete the stock breather setup? I could just go with a reed breather. Please, let me know your opinions if you have them.

Thanks for your time and attention. And thanks to Microsoft for voice to text. I am using that system right now because I have two broken wrists after a highside get off on my Moto guzzi.
Liked Replies
#874136 Mar 10th a 10:59 PM
by Motolab
Motolab
Originally Posted by NYBSAGUY
Mal is quite correct, Phil's son is continuing the parts business, which is great news. They are offering cranks from NEB / Joe Maxwell Engineering.

To be correct..

N.E.B is N.E.B and “Joe Maxwell Engineering” is NOT a producer for N.E.B.

Joe is a Dealer/re seller of N.E.B, so is Phil Pearson jr. and so does my company ;-)
The crankshafts for Goldstars are excellent products, as are their clutches…
2 members like this
#874114 Mar 10th a 07:01 PM
by Magnetoman
Magnetoman
In case it helps, the photograph shows the relevant dimensions from my Pearson crankshaft.

[Linked Image]

The length of the 'nose' isn't well defined because of the neighboring threads, so the length from the flywheel face is what I would use if I were machining a nose to replace the pipe in an older-type crankshaft since that length determines how far into the timing cover the nose will stick. I measured the lengths with a caliper so they're ±0.001", but the diameter with a calibrated micrometer so it's ±0.0001". I used the shanks of drill bits to measure the ID (a #20 fits so it's at least 0.161", but a #19 doesn't so it's smaller than 0.166"). I could measure it more accurately but the precise diameter isn't critical so the drill bits should be good enough.

Let me know if there's any other measurements or photographs that would help your hands-free engine assembly.
Attached Images
1 member likes this
#874242 Mar 12th a 04:28 AM
by Stuart Kirk
Stuart Kirk
Hey Kevin,
Is that you on the cover of the March 2022 Piled Arms, on a Gold Star?
Looking good if it's you, or even if it isn't you.
1 member likes this
#875383 Mar 23rd a 11:37 AM
by Andy Higham
Andy Higham
If a DBD head/barrel can be plonked directly on a set of B31 cases without modification, I'm sure the same can be said for CB.
Just ignore the extra tapped hole in the bottom of pushrod tunnel
1 member likes this
#875437 Mar 23rd a 07:16 PM
by Gordo in Comox
Gordo in Comox
Kevin: As for the stud sizes over the years the top end had two different sizes going into the head depending on the model but the bottom end that threads into the cases did not change.

Gordo
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com