Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Pennsyltuckey
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 87
Allan G 56
kevin 50
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 33
Newest Members
Jim Harris, Cuppy, budpotter, Mark Sharp, Ian Scotland UK
12,160 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (BeezaBryan, Magnetoman, MrMarty51, Robert Dentico), 17 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,311
Posts772,635
Members12,160
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
Bob B, Gary E, gavin eisler, Kev Ev, NickL
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#871496 02/08/2022 2:42 PM
by Kev Ev
Kev Ev
Hi all,

I will be starting to make up a new wiring harness for my 1966 Lightning very soon and was wondering if anyone had any advice / recommendations on what is best to use for the outer covering. I have seen a few auto electric suppliers online advertising a self adhesive cloth tape that claims to be suitable for motorcycles?

The last time I made up an electrical wiring harness for a bike I used a self amalgamating tape, but I was never really happy with the finished result.

Cheers,

Kev E
Liked Replies
#871539 Feb 8th a 10:07 PM
by NickL
NickL
Problems with standard looms include crap connectors, and all original layout.
By the time you have chopped the loom up to suit electronic ignition, regulator,
maybe a rely or two, and replaced the bullets, you may as well have started from scratch.
As for value, A65's aren't worth much anyway, not as if they were individually hand made,
they were a production bike like most others of the 60'-70's.
2 members like this
#871510 Feb 8th a 04:06 PM
by Allan G
Allan G
Hi Kevin,

Im good thankyou mate, hope you are too?

These are the guys who I get most of my electrical components from, they do a good varierty of everything and have 99% of the colours you require.

When I originally bought mine they only had the 19mm, its just the right thickness for when you come to a "branch" in the cable.

PVC Harness tape

This is the sleeving.
This for around the headstock, under the mudguard for rear light unit etc
1 member likes this
#871545 Feb 8th a 11:22 PM
by BrizzoBrit
BrizzoBrit
I use nylon weave sleeve.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/expandabl...j2Z7x9QIVWZJmAh3DCALIEAQYAiABEgIxQfD_BwE

A bit challenging as it will unravel when cut. I cut and then fuse the end with a soldering iron. When loom all sorted, put heat shrink on the ends. You can an pull wires out where you want then to run off from main loom by separating the weave. I found the problem with self-adhesive tape is that it limits flexibility and I got fatigue induced failure of the wires because it concentrated the bending at the head stem to small sharp bends in the wire. I think 'loom tape' is non-adhesive'?

Ray
1 member likes this
#871570 Feb 9th a 05:19 AM
by DavidP
DavidP
Originally Posted by Mark Z
British Wiring sells poly sheath in various diameters. That's what I used when I wired my A65. The only downside, if you can call it one, is that the wires have to be fed through the sheath before the terminals go on, at least at one end. It just requires some planning and careful measuring. It's not original-looking, but it is tidy. And, if you need to make repairs down the road, individual wires can be pulled out and replaced if necessary.
+1 for the poly sheath. As mentioned, it does take some planning. I lay out the wires on the bike and cut to length (always leave an extra inch until you put the terminals on.)
I like to use Japanese brass connectors, better strain relief, and a proper crimping tool costs half as much as the Lucar tool. They also take up less space.
I just rewired my Trident and changed to a regulator under the seat, obviating the need for the long hot wire to the Zener under the headlight. At least I could leave the wiring for the Tri Spark as is.
Between the wire, connectors, and sheathing I probably spent less than $50 for the new harness. I'm retired so my time is free.
1 member likes this
#871655 Feb 10th a 01:08 AM
by joe czech
joe czech
years ago, i bought a cloth harness tape used by German auto manufacturers. the stuff is top shelf. i used it on my 85 corvette 8 or 9 years ago, and it still looks good today. also use it on my 74 commando - again, no issues. the brand i used is "tesa" but there are others. go to fleabay, and search "cloth electrical harness tape' - hope this helps.
1 member likes this
#871668 Feb 10th a 03:38 AM
by KC in S.B.
KC in S.B.
I like the black mesh. Stretch to reduce, and bunch up to increase the size. With some thinking ahead, you can have a wire exit through the mesh where needed.
Attached Images
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com