Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
TR6Ray
TR6Ray
Illinois, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 88
Allan G 56
kevin 50
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 33
Newest Members
Jim Harris, Cuppy, budpotter, Mark Sharp, Ian Scotland UK
12,160 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (BrizzoBrit, JubeePrince, Vincent Esposito, Gordon Gray, bsalloyd, drp), 17 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,310
Posts772,624
Members12,160
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
Allan G
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#869015 01/14/2022 9:50 AM
by dave j
dave j
I managed to damage the green yellow/ wire on the stretch from my alternator to the rectifier whilst trying to remove the harness tape. I have cut only two strands of the copper wire inside.

Could I leave this and put a bit of heatshrink on it ?

Or could I strip back the insulation slightly and run some solder over the damage and then use heat shrink?

Lastly I have some thinwall green/ yellow wire rated 16.5 amps with which I could replace it. Is this an adequate rating for this point?

Thanks
Liked Replies
#869022 Jan 14th a 10:30 AM
by L.A.B.
L.A.B.
Originally Posted by Allan G
The thin wall wire which Dave already has at 16.5amp will be roughly the same total thickness of the 8.75 amp wiring. Since he already has it (and I assume in the correct colours) he isn't hurting anything by using it)

I agree. You posted as I was typing so I wasn't suggesting he use 14/0.30mm only that the original and modern equivalent amp rating was/is considerably lower than 16.5A (thin wall).
1 member likes this
#869453 Jan 18th a 06:28 PM
by L.A.B.
L.A.B.
Originally Posted by dave jones
When it comes from going from this point to the battery via the 35a fuse is 16 amp wire ok?

Yes. The fuse must be the 35A blow (17.5A continuous) type and the 35A blow fuse is used with original 14/32 8A wiring.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The modern equivalent fuses (blade fuses etc.) are 15A or 20A as they are continuous rated.

Originally Posted by dave jones
I could use two together. When the fuse was on the negative side the original single wire was ok.

The side of the battery the fuse is on makes no difference to the amp rating.
1 member likes this
#869512 Jan 19th a 03:47 PM
by L.A.B.
L.A.B.
Originally Posted by Allan G
As LAB said. If it only has one value, then this will be the continuous rating.

No, that wasn't what I said. A 1 1/4"/31mm glass fuse marked 35A can certainly be the blow rating.

The fuse rating can also be stamped on the metal end cap .

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/2x-35A-BLOW...-CAR-MOTOR-FUSE-6-3-x-31mm-/382856091018
"These 35A fuses are marked according to the modern Lucas regime (metric / post decimalisation) system whereby the marked rating is the BLOW rating and the continuous rating is half that marked (17/17.5A (Amp) CONTINUOUS)"

https://www.triumph-spares.co.uk/35-amp-glass-fuse-fuse35
https://rrsl.co.uk/product/fuse35a-1-1-4-glass-fuse-35a-blow/
1 member likes this
#869536 Jan 19th a 09:20 PM
by quinten
quinten
[Linked Image from accessnorton.com]
old stock lucas fuses used colour coded paper along with printed ratings .
the 17.5/35 A was white , ( the instantaneous blow rating was 40 amps )
[Linked Image from cimg1.ibsrv.net]

if i was concerned with reliability i would not use an old fuse ... or old fuseholder .
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com