Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
Triumph 650/750 High-Output Alternator Kit
by The Bonneville Shop - 01/13/23 11:29 pm
New FAQ post
Missing edit button
by wrench136 - 05/30/22 2:57 pm
News & Announcements
Premium members! 🌟
by Morgan aka admin - 01/28/23 3:01 pm
Buy BritBike staff a coffee ☕️ or pint 🍺
by Morgan aka admin - 01/15/23 9:29 am
Benefactor ✅
by Morgan aka admin - 01/08/23 8:38 pm
Gold members! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
by Morgan aka admin - 01/03/23 6:30 pm
How to guides - Technical articles
British Fasteners Specs
by Morgan aka admin - 01/03/23 1:29 pm
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
Tridentman
Tridentman
New Jersey USA
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 76
DavidP 64
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 36
DavidP 25
Newest Members
sam keller, Raz, HermDawg, 47sqfour, Blackdoctor
12,383 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,514
Posts783,703
Members12,383
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Thread Like Summary
Boomer, chainreaction, dave j, Stein Roger
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#868686 01/10/2022 5:32 PM
by Irish Swede
Irish Swede
A question for Rod Moulding:

I have been leafing through detail photos i have of Triumph stock-paint fenders, but two variations stump me;

The first example is sliver, with a blue center stripe, pin-striped in white.

The second is blue, with a silver center stripe, also in-striped in white.

The only bikes that appear to use both of these combinations were 1968 models T100R Daytona, and '68 TR6R.

The problem is that the so-called "experts" in the several Triumph books claim that the pin-stripes are supposedly "gold" in both cases.

Rod, what is your opinion?

Dennis.
Liked Replies
#868734 Jan 11th a 08:24 AM
by R Moulding
R Moulding
Thank you Boomer, I’ve pinched those pictures as well. You can never have to many reference pictures.
1 member likes this
#868817 Jan 12th a 06:03 AM
by R Moulding
R Moulding
There were some inconsistencies with the blade and rolled edge fenders. However looking at the blue on that fender I would say it’s pacific blue and not riviera, that would make it Tom a 65 T120R.
1 member likes this
#868901 Jan 12th a 11:47 PM
by John Healy
John Healy
Color depends upon how well the barrel was stirred, and how many times they dipped paint out between stirrings. Also it depends on how heavy the paint was applied, and who was appyling it.

Don Hutchinson and myself did a series of articles on paint for Vintage Bike. As a part of this project we got into his stash of new Trident front fenders in original wrapping. There was some dozen or so. No two were alike: as to color, amount of flake, width of stripe, or width of pin stripe.

It wasn't till the T140's came along were a fiberglass mask was used to outline the tank scallops. Before that, they were done by eye, as was the pin stripes and the width of the fender stripes. The T140 paint jobs always made me nervous. My brain was so used to each tank's paint job having a personality, that when the "perfect" (well near) T140 paint scheme came along it made me think something was amiss.

I was brought up in a home that the main part of the building was post and beam. It was held together with pegs. Nothing was square. It was to become my normal as to what the space should look like. When I got into a house where you could drop a marble on the floor and it would stay where it was put it made me nervous - my senses thought something was wrong.
1 member likes this
#868911 Jan 13th a 01:12 AM
by Tridentman
Tridentman
The 68/69 Trident color was also called aquamarine but to my eye it was a darker color than on the T100 posted earlier in this thread.
I attach a photo of one of my 69 Tridents which illustrates what I mean
These colors are pretty much original---the gas tank etc were taken off a Trident in about 1970 when a beauty kit was installed and then were on a back shelf at a small dealers in central NJ before they were rescued when the dealer retired.
Having said that I understand and agree totally with what John says about color variation.
When I was in the Meriden factory I didn't notice that aspect particularly but it was certainly in synch with everything else that was going on there.
I can also identify with Johns comments about houses.
I grew up in a thatched cottage in England that was built in 1628.
There is one difference between John and I---if I dropped a marble on the floor it would stay where it dropped--because the floors were dirt floors!
Attached Images
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2023 britbike.com