Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
Triumph 650/750 High-Output Alternator Kit
by The Bonneville Shop - 01/13/23 11:29 pm
New FAQ post
Missing edit button
by wrench136 - 05/30/22 2:57 pm
News & Announcements
Premium members! 🌟
by Morgan aka admin - 01/28/23 3:01 pm
Buy BritBike staff a coffee ☕️ or pint 🍺
by Morgan aka admin - 01/15/23 9:29 am
Benefactor ✅
by Morgan aka admin - 01/08/23 8:38 pm
Gold members! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
by Morgan aka admin - 01/03/23 6:30 pm
How to guides - Technical articles
British Fasteners Specs
by Morgan aka admin - 01/03/23 1:29 pm
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
Tridentman
Tridentman
New Jersey USA
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 76
DavidP 64
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 36
DavidP 25
Newest Members
sam keller, Raz, HermDawg, 47sqfour, Blackdoctor
12,383 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,514
Posts783,703
Members12,383
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Thread Like Summary
Big Al in York, Gordon Gray
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#868086 01/04/2022 1:32 PM
by Mike Baker
Mike Baker
The roadracing season starts this coming weekend in Daytona. I've not raced here yet so hoping all goes well- have heard plenty of horror stories about vintage bikes that meet their end on the high banks. The 650 is geared tall and jetted up and I'll keep a close eye on the tach and 1 finger on the clutch.
The usual suspects will be there, all good racers and fun to be on the track with.
And a week in Florida after the race with my better half. It's good to be retired.......
Liked Replies
#868746 Jan 11th a 01:12 PM
by Mike Baker
Mike Baker
Daytona didn't disappoint. Pretty good turnout, I think I heard 330 entries. Perfect weather.
Both Bill and Dave Kaufman were no show due to the flurona. That left me, Stan K, Greg T on Triunphs and John R on his fast Norton.
Friday went out for 4 practice sessions. I had put a 20t front sprocket on and left the 46 on the back. Also had jetted up from 180 to 200. First round went easy trying to get the feel of the track. Came in, checked plugs went to 210's. Next time out wicked it up a bit, and went to 220's. Finally went to 230's before I saw a little color on the plugs. At this point I decided to see what the bike would do, held it at 7k all the way around the banking. coming off nascar 1, into the wind, I could hold it almost wide open but off turn 2 with the wind I was at about 2/3 throttle. Conclusion- not enough gear. For similar conditions in the future I think a 21/46 would be about right. In any case, I've never had the triumph run that fast for so long before. If my math is correct, it ran 119mph at 7k. there'd be more if I had the gears, it certainly had power enough to pull taller. All a learning experience.
AFA racing went, I got a great start on Sat only to get into traffic on turn 1 and watch the Norton get around me. And proceed to stretch out his lead. Had a brief challenge from Stan on the triton but was able to get away and open up my lead on him. Greg shredded a belt and barely finished the race.
Sunday, Greg and his new belt got the holeshot, but it wasn't long before John got around him and ran away again. Stan had some sort of trouble on the start and didn't race. I bird dogged Greg for a lap and got a great drive out of the chicane/ bus stop and never looked back. So a couple of second place finishes for my weekend.
Would have been nice to have the Matchless and BSA there, hopefully next time.
Roebling in 5 weeks. Get healthy, y'all.
2 members like this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2023 britbike.com