Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Pennsyltuckey
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 87
Allan G 56
kevin 50
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 33
Newest Members
Jim Harris, Cuppy, budpotter, Mark Sharp, Ian Scotland UK
12,160 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
5 members (BrizzoBrit, wadeschields, gavin eisler, OriginalScott, Magnetoman), 16 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,311
Posts772,635
Members12,160
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
gavin eisler, kevin, NickL
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by andyame1974
andyame1974
I have a 67 650 engine installed in a 69 royal star frame, engine ran great 40 years ago, Started it up again 4 weeks ago, with same points, same old points
plates adjustment, Idle was good
accerlataion was good,

I then disconnected the r/h coil to allow access to replace a scavenge oil line to the oil tank..

After doing this trying a restart It did not want to run at all over idle, Found a problem, I had some how reattached the positive leads to the negative on the R/H coi. l Not sure what damage this may have done to the points and coils/condensers

After I corrected this wiring I also replaced the the points plate with one which had better adjusters concentrics

Timed adjusted for inital timing, with 015 thou dwell gap, but still not /unsure in my mind to where to time the point is open or when useing on the AAU timimg marks scribed with a well defined scribed line on the cam or is it the square notch also machined on the same aau cam. The Scribed marks to me indicate to me max point open/dwell, of .015, So at what point on the aau cam are the points suppose to open
I can probably figure it out but what is confuseing , is that i have a square 1/4 notch on my timing cam as well as a scribed line on mine
Liked Replies
by Mark Z
Mark Z
The only part of this I find hard to believe is that the shrines could remain stocked with liquor.
1 member likes this
by gavin eisler
gavin eisler
In warmer drier countries like Spain motorcyclists , with old bikes which use points, build road side shrines where they can enjoy the roadside fixability of the original set up. I saw a lot of these shrines around the Sierra Nevadas, particularly Mulhacien. must be a lot of vintage enthusiasts there.At least that what my mate said they were for.
1 member likes this
by Allan G
Allan G
Originally Posted by Mark Z
- I think when you change from a 4CA to a 6CA breaker assembly, you're supposed to upgrade the AAU/dwell cam as well.

Your spot on, changing the points plate (wheher it be 6ca, 8ca 10ca etc) will allow you to get accurate adjustment across both cylinders which wasn't possible with the 4ca setup.

Changing the 11 degree AAU to the 12degree AAU has a different cam profile with a different dwell timing to prevent the points bounce which was causing the rouge spark and killing engines.

A strobe light is essential for anyone running a bike with more than 1 set of points, regardless of the vehicle.
1 member likes this
by gavin eisler
gavin eisler
Minimal shelter, usually some iconic religious figure because points need a lot of faith, a mirror for taking a long hard look, a packet of cigarette papers,for timing adjustment, a postcard for setting the points gap, a shot glass and some hard liquer. Sometimes a photo of a deceased relative to act as a medium for reaching out to Joseph lucas.
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com