Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
DavidP
DavidP
Crossville, TN
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 71
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
NickL 28
Newest Members
NRpolo, Ianc15, chuckhaz, Motorelic, Mrmoe
12,118 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
5 members (htown70, L.A.B., triton thrasher, konon, PINEMONKEY), 44 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,031
Posts769,175
Members12,118
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, Bustednukel, kevin, Mark Parker, Semper Gumby
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Bustednukel
Bustednukel
The sans motor part of the title might be more interesting. So, Bret in Lancaster, PA is selling the Scrambler and when I get to his place, yea its pretty nice without the motor and I buy it. But where is the motor? Bret has 3 choppers in the garage, all 1960's custom chops as wild as you can imagine, really! I could almost hear Inagadadavida colliding with reality in my brain. Bret showed me the chop that he installed the scrambler motor into. It was Art and I said to Bret "Its art! Would you consider selling?" Maybe when the kids go to college he replied. He said the guy who made the chops is deceased, Sam Radoff. The body work was all metal! ART!

Will post a pic of the Sam Radoff chop with the Scrambler BSA motor if Full Editor comes back up.
Liked Replies
by Bustednukel
Bustednukel
When I first saw the Scrambler on CL, what made me bookmark the listing was the alloy wheels; I thought Borrani! Like a shot of really good liquor. I also liked that the pipes looked right, and hey progressive rear springs, and hey is that front fender right. I did check that the frame was stamped with the correct suffix, A65FS before me and Bret loaded it into my van

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

A favorable shot of the tank; seems to overcome the initial 1971 objections I read about.
1 member likes this
by PFribley
PFribley
Choppers. Death traps!!
1 member likes this
by Mark Z
Mark Z
Originally Posted by Semper Gumby
The frame color is not stock but its nice. The original color was "Dove Gray" this was changed to Black when the bikes didn't sell. Some were re-painted black at the dealerships. By 1972 I think all the OIF frames came from the factory as black.

They started painting them black at the factory mid-1971 model year.
1 member likes this
by Allan G
Allan G
Originally Posted by Bustednukel
Super Gumby, thanks. That high fender made me think Scramblers might have a high fender mount to pass chunks easily as it scrambles through brush and stuff. Silly me!

I read that gear ratios in the trans were lower on FB Scramblers. I posted on the private sale forum that I was looking for a complete motor marked A65FS, but empty cases marked A65FS might have to suffice. If I end up with empty cases, then having correct trans ratio's would become a consideration if they are different form a Lightning or Thunderbolt. Can anyone confirm that the ratios are different?

The FB was a street scrambler, a fashion styling exercise which laster from 68 til 71, probably why they dropped the idea in 72. Had the FB been fitted with some off road tyres and a B50T/MX style front mudguard then you might have good reason to believe the high guard reason.

However, parts books show these brackets as upside down, many an owner will refit them as per the orientation that the parts book shows not realising that a parts book is not and was never intended to be a restoration manual.

I'd have to check but I beleive east and west coast models had different gearing, east having 20t and West having 18t gearbox sprockets? The rest of the box is the same as a thunderbolt/Lightning. Infact the engine is identical to a Lightning, with the possible change to the gearbox output sprocket, carb jetting and the exhaust pipes.

Empty cases is as good a start as any, you just have to source the bits.

I don't think any more than 2 parts on my OIF Thunderbolt (Lightning in a Thunderbolt dress code) left the factory on the same bike together.

I don't think it turned out too bad.... (PS, this is an old photo.. The mudguard does follow the wheel better now, and the mirrors are mounted better)

[Linked Image]
Attached Images
1 member likes this
by Bustednukel
Bustednukel
Liking Alan's green Tbolt! Have seen many pictures of orange OIF bikes, nice to see green. I would call it forest green, but I'm sure the factory had their own name.

So, it sounds like the gearbox ratio on a Scrambler is no big deal if I have to build it; which by the way, I really do not want to do; Mark Z has a motor that I'm hoping to snag from him.

My scrambler has a different headlight than my 71 Lightning basket case. Will post a pic later.
1 member likes this
by Semper Gumby
Semper Gumby
The frame color is not stock but its nice. The original color was "Dove Gray" this was changed to Black when the bikes didn't sell. Some were re-painted black at the dealerships. By 1972 I think all the OIF frames came from the factory as black.

Turn the front fender mount plates (where the rubber wraps around the wire) to point down instead of up. The fender wires should run under the two mounting bolts and the wheel fender set up will look much better. All in all Looks really nice. Congrats on the alloy wheels.
1 member likes this
by Allan G
Allan G
Originally Posted by gavin eisler
Thats AOK for a FBS.

Tacho might read a little slow as its a triumph 4:1 tach instead of the BSA 3:1 Ratio.
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com