Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Pennsyltuckey
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 87
Allan G 56
kevin 50
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 33
Newest Members
Jim Harris, Cuppy, budpotter, Mark Sharp, Ian Scotland UK
12,160 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (Lannis, Rusty Goose, hardarser, Magnetoman, MrMarty51, HughdeMann), 21 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,311
Posts772,635
Members12,160
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
Al Navecky Jr, Allan G, gavin eisler, Gordon Gray, Hillbilly bike, NickL, pidjones, rory brennan
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#865223 12/04/2021 5:44 PM
by Randy68
Randy68
Removed the center stand on my 68 T120R while doing some other stuff and am thinking about
not reinstalling it. Seems cleaner without it. What's your vote? Center stand- Yes or No?
(Of course I would keep it for the next steward)
Liked Replies
#865237 Dec 4th a 06:43 PM
by DMadigan
DMadigan
Why would you make rear chain adjustments on a jack? The chain has to be checked at the longest distance between sprockets. Typically the rear has to be loaded to level the swingarm for checking.
3 members like this
#865553 Dec 7th a 05:44 PM
by DMadigan
DMadigan
If you use longer shock bolts and put on spools you can use a rear wheel stand to adjust the chain and lube it.
2 members like this
#865566 Dec 7th a 07:57 PM
by koan58
koan58
“If I have a choice, I like a center stand. I see more reasons to have one than not.”

I couldn’t agree more.

I only had a centre stand on my Triton for the first couple of years when I was using swept-back headers.
Once I used the TT style pipes, the centre-stand had to go.

That is an awkward, but not insurmountable inconvenience. When a puncture occurs in the field such that it cannot be dealt with in the shed (only twice in 40 years) the fuel tank is removed (easy on my bike).
The bike is then laid over on its side, either wheel can then be removed easily.
1 member likes this
#865247 Dec 4th a 09:19 PM
by quinten
quinten
there are any number of maintenance tasks that are more quickly accessible with the aid of a centerstand .
1. Back wheel off the ground .. in neutral... back wheel ( and chain ) rotate for maintenance
2. Front wheel off the ground ... front wheel spins for maintenance
3. Back wheel off the ground ... in 4th gear ... spark plugs out ... engine will turn over easily
By rotating the back wheel to find ;
a. Top dead center for valve adjusting
b. 38° btdc advance for ignition timing
1 member likes this
#865260 Dec 4th a 10:34 PM
by JBMorris
JBMorris
Before you change your mind about above - cut off the leading edge of the grappling hooks curves- then reinstall.
Easy to set back on the centerstand for maintenance - keep you safe on the road not to engage concrete abutments that might catch & send you flying to disaster- or close to, ask me how I Know !
1 member likes this
#866034 Dec 12th a 07:14 AM
by DavidP
DavidP
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
The owner is supposed to start the bike on the center stand, to avoid breaking the side stand lug off the frame.
The owner is supposed to start the bike while not on either stand.
1 member likes this
#867157 Dec 24th a 01:57 AM
by Gary Caines
Gary Caines
When I bought my 68 T120 it didn't have a center stand. I had a hard time finding the correct one and installed it. I love center stands. My 68 Bonneville and my 75 Norton 850 Mk3 are always stored on the center stands.
1 member likes this
#866052 Dec 12th a 03:06 PM
by desco
desco
reverb, I have never just ridden a motorcycle to get some place. It's always a race. A trip to the grocery store became the Ilse of Man. The more curves the better. I got very good at leaning way over in the bends. Avon Super Venom tires made an old Triumph stick like glue to the road. Too bad they wore out so fast. First the center stand went. Then I put on taller shocks and made shorter brackets to get the mufflers up higher. That's when I started sliding around bends on the frame. Not much you can do about that except learn to control and enjoy it. And I certainly did that. I hate getting old.
1 member likes this
#868367 Jan 7th a 08:16 AM
by DavidP
DavidP
Originally Posted by Bloodknot
Centre stands are great for maintenance procedures but a pair of track stands are equally suitable and maintenance is invariably carried out at home anyway.
Until you have a flat tire away from home.
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com