Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
wadeschields
wadeschields
NYC and York PA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 68
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
NickL 29
quinten 28
Newest Members
FERRARTIS GROUP LD, Okp, Stevie B, EmmBeeDee, dresda
12,125 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (Irish Swede, A65Matt, Hugh Jörgen), 28 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,065
Posts769,648
Members12,125
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, chaterlea25, Kev Ev, NickL
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Lars Haglund
Lars Haglund
I am trying to fix a bad thread on my two spare crankshafts. One is the older one with 2 plugs for the sludge trap and one is the newer with only one plug. Threads on both crankshafts are 5/8" 20 tpi but which type of thread, CEI, UNF(S) or..?
Thanks!
Rgrds,
Lars
Liked Replies
by DMadigan
DMadigan
In Unified there is 5/8-18 UNF and 5/8-24 UNEF. 20 UN would be a constant pitch series which can be used on any diameter.
However, because UN uses a truncated crest and valley and BCE uses a rounded crest and valley they might not interchange.
2 members like this
by Lars Haglund
Lars Haglund
Thanks Kevin for your input. As Allan wrote it would make no sense that BSA used something else than a BSC/CEI thread. Nuts, many times, were badly damaged which effected the thread on the crank. Both your and mine experience indicates it to be a 5/8" 20 tpi BSC/CEI thread.
Rgrds,
Lars
2 members like this
by Allan G
Allan G
Originally Posted by C.B.S
When measure the PD on my cranks, the PD is larger than the typical 5/8" BSC form

Not bring funny here, but why does a tap clean the nut up nicely afterwards? I wouldn't say the cranks are funky but the nuts are bring made with someone with a fraction of the skills god have them.

Just a thought.
2 members like this
by Allan G
Allan G
Originally Posted by Lars Haglund
Allan, sorry, I misunderstood you. My problem is about the thread for the rotor nut, not the sludge trap plug..
Rgrds,
Lars

Originally Posted by Lars Haglund
I am trying to fix a bad thread on my two spare crankshafts. One is the older one with 2 plugs for the sludge trap and one is the newer with only one plug. Threads on both crankshafts are 5/8" 20 tpi but which type of thread, CEI, UNF(S) or..?
Thanks!
Rgrds,
Lars

Appologies Lars, theres several threads on the BSA crank, though I guess theres only one at 5/8", even still though the same logic applies. I have yet to see one which is different. The part number (29-2023) remained the same part number from 1962 until the bitter end. There isnt a UN size thread anywhere on a pre 69 bike (unless a previous owner put it there).

There are however plenty of nuts on the market which have not been machined properly. Same with clutch mainshaft nuts. Before I owned a comprehensive set of taps and dies I would end up buying a bag of 6 of each to find only 1 which fitted.
1 member likes this
by Kev Ev
Kev Ev
Hi Lars,

Good to hear that you got sorted but just to add to this thread (pardon the pun) here is my own experience with this particular issue.

On my recent engine rebuild I bought a brand new 29.2063 rotor nut from SRM and found that it would not screw on to the crankshaft threads easily. It was in fact so tight that I did not want to force it for fear of damaging the threads on the crankshaft. The nut that was on the engine before I started the rebuild was badly damaged. It had been butchered with a hammer & chisel in the past and also had a hole drilled and tapped in it, presumably for a grub screw? Despite it's poor state it screwed all the way onto the crankshaft threads very easily by hand. I have no idea if this was the original nut fitted to this engine but it was what was on it when I bought it.

Anyway I bought a brand new HSS 5/8" 20TPI BSC die from Tracy Tools and ran it down the crankshaft thread. I was surprised at the amount of material it moved but, as the new nut was so tight and the thread that was being cut looked good, I was not unduly worried and believed I was on the right track.

Once I had run the die all the way down the crankshaft threads and removed it I tried the new nut on again and it fit perfectly. Screwed on easily by hand and no slop. A nice snug fit as you would expect when something is right.
1 member likes this
by C.B.S
C.B.S
I am glad you got it sorted out

Something still fishy about the thread forms used on these cranks

The fact that Kevin E states "I was surprised at the amount of material it moved but" tells me that the PD or form is unique as compared to what the books "says"

When measure the PD on my cranks, the PD is larger than the typical 5/8" BSC form
1 member likes this
by Ignoramus
Ignoramus
The original question seems (ok I have a lot of "senior moments" these days) to be What is the thread FORM of the 20TPI thread.

it will be Whitworth form ie 55 degree included angle . Unlike the UNC/UNF series which are 60 degrees included angle. (UNC/UNF, being what you have termed "American thread") .

You can get away with it on smaller threads eg 1/4 Whitworth using 1/4 UNC bolts instead but you cant get away with it on larger ones like your 5/8" 20 TPI series.

Yes BSA did change some threads to the UNC (American) system in latter years but they did not change the crank threads.

confused ? I am .

D Madigan said "unless the parts book is wrong" ... I think it MIGHT be wrong ...when i saw that I though beauty and got a few 5/8" UNF nuts ... you guessed it they did not screw on !
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com