Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
July 4th Sale at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 07/01/22 6:26 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
DavidP
DavidP
Crossville, TN
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 65
kevin 60
DavidP 59
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Lannis 23
MikeG 20
Newest Members
MartyH, Steve Sewell UK, BrokenLeg, Jeff Keller, Steveland
12,212 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
5 members (MaaseyRacer, Magnetoman, NickL, koan58, Lannis), 17 guests, and 25 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,552
Posts776,406
Members12,212
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, BeezaBryan, BSA_WM20, Bustednukel, Chip H, Falcon_52, Hillbilly bike, John Harvey, kevin, Mark Parker, NickL, Pelle, Roadwarrior, SpeedyV, wadeschields, wbabojo
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by C.B.S
C.B.S
With the news out about the 2022 BSA Goldstar, I'm curious to know what you all think?

[Linked Image from cdn.visordown.com]
Liked Replies
by NickL
NickL
The USB socket will probably sell it to a lot of 'bikers' now.
As long as it doesn't scratch their nail varnish.
4 members like this
by Andy Higham
Andy Higham
As I have stated earlier, without electric start and balance shafts they would not leave the showroom floor. Without EFI, catalytic converter and ABS, they would not get as far as the showroom floor
4 members like this
by John Harvey
John Harvey
Personally, I would choose a modern styled Victor like this over a facsimile styled BSA Gold Star.

I'm not a fan of the trend started by Triumph with their Bonneville and now BSA with their Gold Star, where they have mimicked the external form and style of the old engine and yet the internal layout of the engine bears little or no resemblance to its outer architecture. You can see this with the timing case on the modern T100/120's timing cover that used to house the pushrod motors camshafts and now houses the alternator, it's the same with the final drive sprocket cover that resembles the originals gearbox cover. This was something Royal Enfield seemed to have deliberately avoided with their Interceptor twins the primary drive is, as most modern engines are, on the right hand side with the final drive on the left. To my engineering mind it is a more honest design and could possibly be a factor in it's success...or maybe the old Interceptor style isn't as iconic, whatever way, I think it's better for it.
3 members like this
by Rich B
Rich B
Specification sheet for the “new” Gold Star

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
2 members like this
by NickL
NickL
Aesthetically, i still prefer the enfield twin but it's a personal thing
It looks a bit podgy to me,
2 members like this
by Rich B
Rich B
Yes I have used the ABS in a panic stop. Worst was getting cut off in traffic, both F & R ABS kicked in. Bike stopped straight with no frame. The driver that cut me off got an earful.

I have noticed the rear kick in a number of times on downhill stops with loose material on the road.

Reality is….it exists in the background for me. I ride a lot on gravel and dirt roads, don’t even notice it is there
2 members like this
by DavidP
DavidP
Originally Posted by kommando
At 213kg/470 pounds wet its heavy, all that extra equipment has its downsides.
470 pounds! That's close to Trident territory.
What's the point of a single if it ain't light?
2 members like this
by gunner
gunner
To my mind, the Mahindra BSA looks more like a Classic Cruiser rather than a sleek boy's own racer. The large radiator and chunky exhaust dont help in this respect and combined with the relatively short wheelbase, I feel the bike has a slightly dumpy look.

Don't get me wrong, I think Mahindra BSA have done a fabulous job of building a bike that BSA might have produced some years after they went bust and I wish them success with future sales.

It's interesting that they decided on a capacity of 652cc and a 11.5:1 cr together with a 4 valve head and fuel injection. Presumably, the engine is in a detuned state for reliability and perhaps their plan is to produce a sportier version in due course. I assume balance shafts have been built in to reduce vibration which could be problematic with large capacity singles.

The brakes seem excellent especially as they have ABS and no doubt the suspension is of good quality.

I would have liked to have seen something with a slightly longer wheelbase and lower bars, which perhaps would have made it more compatible with todays faster roads, but perhaps that's something for the future.

Overall though, great to see something new coming out.
1 member likes this
by GrandPaul
GrandPaul
One thing that is indisputable, the new BSA Gold Star is making more news than any other new bike since the new Triumph Bonneville did 20 years ago.

I am seeing it EVERYWHERE, every forum, group, and page, regardless of brand, genre, etc.

The new Norton Commando under Garner didn't have this much publicity...
1 member likes this
by Hillbilly bike
Hillbilly bike
Originally Posted by NickL
Aesthetically, i still prefer the enfield twin but it's a personal thing
It looks a bit podgy to me,
Yes, looks a bit porky, lots of required parts that don't package densely...Well us Americans don't care about laws, strip off the large exhaust and cat convertor, fit points and a drippy Amal, good to go...
1 member likes this
by gavin eisler
gavin eisler
It has a swoopy droopy arse end that I dont like, the tank has a horrible flange and the pipe looks ridiculously big, the pattern goldie pipe looks too small to silence and let the goodness out, the gearbox end cover looks empty. Is it a recycled enfield?
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com