Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Photos on private message
by Mal Marsden - 06/16/22 7:00 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
wilksville
wilksville
manchester england
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
reverb 80
Allan G 54
kevin 52
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 31
gunner 27
Newest Members
budpotter, Mark Sharp, Ian Scotland UK, cherbini, grahamsmythe
12,158 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (NickL, Magnetoman, Steve Erickson, quinten, DAMadd, koncretekid), 22 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,301
Posts772,503
Members12,158
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Thread Like Summary
Alexp, BeezaBryan, bon, Chip H, Gordon Gray, GrandPaul, Hillbilly bike, Ian C, Jon W. Whitley, kevin, kommando, MikeG, Morgan aka admin, NickL, PINEMONKEY, ricochetrider, sammysnail, Semper Gumby, Tommy Thomas, tridentt150v
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Morgan aka admin
Morgan aka admin
BSA is back - Return of a legend it says on BSA Company's new website.

It reads..
04-12 DECEMBER
BSA IS BACK
It’s good to be missed, a lot better to come back! Witness the new generation of BSA and ride with us into the future.

The story unfolds here, NEC Birmingham, Hall 4, Stand 4D10.

It is exiting times... will we be disappointed or happy with the result...?

I'm sure 90% will be disappointed because its not the the old genuine bikes made pre-1973
But the future is here and see what Triumph Hinkley has done so far even though their start was not that good as far as I remember.
Eventually maybe 90% may be happy when a few years has passed lets hope for it anyway.
Within a year it's promised that there will be an electric version.. perhaps it could come with a pre-recorded Goldie sound.. wink

One thing I noticed is that they use the old logotype not a remake..
website URL is https://www.bsacompany.co.uk/

What are your expectations?
Liked Replies
by BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
Pre judgmental
Second guessing
Pint pot half empty

Give the dog a chance to see the rabbit!

2c
4 members like this
by Hillbilly bike
Hillbilly bike
I don't believe most riders who would buy the Mahindra bikes care about brand names.They may consider where it's manufactured because they read Japanese vehicles can be more reliable.
I hear nothing but good about the RE 650 twins...I suspect the BSA badged model will be the same basic design with some different styling clues...
What is the difference between vintage Brit 650 twins, they all vibrated, leaked oil and shared many common parts...
3 members like this
by GrandPaul
GrandPaul
Originally Posted by Morgan aka admin
BSA is back - Return of a legend it says on BSA Company's new website.

It is exiting times... will we be disappointed or happy with the result...?

But the future is here and see what Triumph Hinkley has done so far even though their start was not that good as far as I remember.
I'm not sure why you make that statement about (Meriden/Bloor) Triumph, as their start is in my opinion the key to the fact that they are now quite successful worldwide with a future about as secure as ANY other major brand.

The modular platform of 2 capacities of 3 and 4 cylinder engines with at least two different states of tune (mostly cam profiles) insured AT LEAST a "line-up" of multiple different bikes to attract several market segments, then the resurrection of the Bonneville were EXTREMELY successful marketing and growth models.

If Mahindra BSA does something like this, I'd say their future could be every bit as bright.

Those who care to dismiss any and all non-British companies owning historically British brands will slowly die off and the young people will decide whether they like them enough to eventually take their place in newer pages of motorcycling history. Progress marches on, regardless of who likes what.
2 members like this
by Peter R
Peter R
Good to see the BSA brand back on the roads,
Time has moved on since the 1970's so its unthinkable that they will come up with something similar to the old stuff.
Type approval has become ever more strict in most parts of the world.
I personally don't care if the new bikes are made in the UK or India, or wherever, since the world has become a global village since the 1070"s, like it or not.
However,I would be bitterly disapointed if Mahindra would come op with some battery operated contraption named BSA.
2 members like this
by reverb
reverb
Hi BSA WM20; for those old retired guys that you mention Triumph makes those detuned T100 models or the basic street twin. Both expensive here though.

Time ago I read an interview with Mahindra boss mentioning that will be launched first in Europe and not in India or other place due to the care that they want to have with the Brand due to the feeling that many has with its.
Said that they will try to maintain all the team in UK near Birmingham; designing the bike there by British people and maintain the brand as a niche quality product. Not as an Indian product.
2 members like this
by MikeG
MikeG
Originally Posted by Chip H
I looked at the "small" Harleys that were being marketed some years ago.

The hoglet: Harley-Davidson's Street 500 "learner bike"
https://newatlas.com/harley-davidson-street-500/34997/

Went down the memory hole.

Harleys problem is they are a victim of their own image, just ask Eric Buell. Those that would venture into an HD dealer are not interested in anything but "the real thing". Triumph/Mahindra/RE, while somewhat constrained by the old image won't really have that problem.
2 members like this
by GrandPaul
GrandPaul
Originally Posted by Lannis
Well, that was sort of the point of the satire. It's some unnamed Chinese car which has nothing more to do with a Pierce Arrow than my Aunt Nellie.
Didn't I see a photo of your aunt Nellie driving a Pierce Arrow?
2 members like this
by wadeschields
wadeschields
According to what I’ve read , The new BSA‘s are designed in England and built in Coventry. So they are actually British bikes. The only difference is Mahendra actually cares about about motorcycles unlike the BSA board did back in the day.
2 members like this
by Lannis
Lannis
Originally Posted by GrandPaul
Well, that was sort of the point of the satire. It's some unnamed Chinese car which has nothing more to do with a Pierce Arrow than my Aunt Nellie.

Even though "Aunt Nellie" is a sort of byword, I actually had an Aunt Nellie .... Nellie Cook Fairall, born 1898 in Beltsville, MD. In 1984, she was living in Laurel, MD, and I rode up to see her on my brand new HD Electra-Glide. As we were standing in the driveway talking, she looked at the bike and said "Is that a Harley Davidson? I rode on the back of a Harley Davidson once. I was going to nursing school at St. Elizabeth's Hospital in Washington DC in 1918 while the war was going on. I was out with friends on a Saturday night, and I lost track of time and looked and it was 9:45 .... Curfew at the nurse's dormitory was 10:00, and I was halfway across town. Being wartime, the trolleys didn't run that late, so I was running knowing I would be late and be CB for a week.

"A young man pulled up next to me on a motorcycle. I saw "Harley Davidson" on the gas tank - he asked me if I wanted a ride somewhere. I said Yes Please and hopped onto the back, and he took off fast. We rode across The Mall and I think we rode down the Capitol steps, I was holding on tight. Made it just before they locked the street door. Do they still make these?"

We had a good conversation, AND about the 1965 Ford Falcon Futura sedan with a 289 that was her car, sitting next to us in the driveway. She had just stopped driving, and I was angling for a way to get that car, but she gave it to the neighbor boy that cut her grass for her. Fair enough, I reckon, but ..... !!

Lannis
2 members like this
by MikeG
MikeG
Originally Posted by Shane in Oz
[

We just have to be prepared to be the butt of tractor jokes instead of making them smile

I have one of their tractors. Not a bad piece of equipment actually. Be interesting to see exactly what they come up with no matter what.
1 member likes this
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Mahindra is as solid a company as one is likely to find anywhere. Their "reach" extends to many places with many products, and the USA is as reasonable a target market as anywhere else.

I'll reserve judgement (on the new BSA) for when I SEE, in person, an *actual* BSA motorcycle. I WILL go so far as to say that until people of "our" generation die off there will continue to be a market for retro styled motorcycles. Hopefully long afterwards too, since ALL OF US are passing our love of old BritBikes on to our children & grandchildren.

Of course we already know that the modern Triumphs and Royal Infields are WELL established, (not to mention Indian) so we know, absolutely with ZERO doubt, that it's 100% possible to resurrect an old brand and bring it back successfully.

That said, we've also seen lesser efforts (Norton) and/or pricey custom-house stuff (Brough Superior) which made considerable less (commercially sustainable) splash, but hey-
I wholeheartedly wish the "new" BSA brand the very best in their endeavors.
1 member likes this
by BSA_WM20
BSA_WM20
Well I am a cinic and have spent way too many hours in the offices of advertising companies & marketing companies.
All I see is a marketing ploy to fob off a new motorcycle by drawing a very tenious connection to a name from the past in the desperate hope of some market recognition.
However as it is 50 years since the last BSA rolled off the producion line, unless the new bikes have hipster appeal then it is a massive waste of money.
And considering the lockdowns of the past 2 years, calling them a ZOOM would have probably gotten more notice.
I could see it working in India where apparently BSA's are still seen on the streets daily or Indonesia where BSA powered taxis are the norm.
But now days no one under 60 has any idea what a BSA is or was and those of us old enought to have bought one new are rapidly coming to the end of our riding days even if petrol remains availible .

The "relaunch" or rather recycling of the Ariel name did not go well .
The reuse of Rocket III did not seem to do much either but then I don't think OZ was their target market .

Comparisons to Enfield are not valid as Enfieds never stopped production and down here they bounced along in the sub 200 sales / year category for over 20 years before they started to get some market acceptance .

Triumph worked because the gaps in production were relatively small and there were enough old idiots ( my generation ) around, curious enough to give them a try and from an engineering point of view, they are an excellent machine, but IMHO just another soul less sewing machine begging you to ride way too fast and well above your skill level , particularly if you stopped riding your Bonnie, got married & then thought you would take up motorcycling again when the kids left high school or the morgage was paid off , whichever came first.
1 member likes this
by Lannis
Lannis
Not any interest really.

An Asian company trumpets that they're coming out with a New Motorcycle called a BAS! or maybe SBA! or SAB! or BSA! What difference does it make what letters it uses? If they were announcing the new Bajaj scooter, that might be interesting in India for people who use Bajaj scooters ...

Lannis
1 member likes this
by Deadstiffcatt
Deadstiffcatt
Well someone hasn't done too poorly with the Royal Enfield line.......

I do hope BSA can produce an electric bike as part of the line with vintage styling. That change (electric) is moving along now, but I'd rather ride a vintage look rather than a style from the 23rd century.

Yes, the past is the past, but as I keep getting dragged into the future screaming "No, no, no!" all the way, the least they can do is give me a proper British styled bike to be dragged on!
1 member likes this
by NickL
NickL
They are a big firm, i'm sure if there is profit in 'em they'll pursue the market.
No-one can reproduce the old bikes (pre 75 say) these days, they'd never get
approval from either buyers or governments. I would think most officials would
have all pre 2010 vehicles of any description scrapped.
I like the enfield twin as a bike, not as a classic bike, it's not covered in plastic
.and it's clean and simple in appearance.
1 member likes this
by Andy Higham
Andy Higham
Originally Posted by bon
I believe Mahindra, who is a billionare, has pumped millions into the Royal Enfield brand. They employ 400 people in the UK on design, marketing and that sort of thing. It won't be a half assed endeavour like the Stuart Garner Norton saga. The Royal enfields are not the Indian two wheeled jokes of old. I have seen a lot of reviews of the new big twins and some say they prefer them to triumphs retro offerings.

The Meteor singles are doing well too, good little bike for the price, make a good commuter, or run-a-around. I was talking to a chap on one a few weeks ago and he loves it.

Hopefully it will be a success, though what the name "BSA" means to a lot of the modern bike buying public, i don't know, Probably as much as OK Supreme or Zenith would.
This website appeared a couple of years ago https://oksupreme.co.uk/
1 member likes this
by wadeschields
wadeschields
All it has to do is catch your fancy... for any reason... If it catches enough fancies then boom .... success .... When I first realise the huge bike scene in NYC I got talking to the guy on a modern Triumph and he was admiring mine... I asked why he chose the modern one over the vintage one if he like the vintage so much... His answer was simple... He didn't want the maintenance....

So I think beauty and styling win out more than you think... And if they don't want the perceived "headaches" , then they buy a modern version of an old bike..
BSA just needs to make a bike with the right vintage look... Sod the crotch rocket guys, they are a breed onto their own and the rest of us get painted with their recklessness and ill manners... Ever since that gang of sportbikes harassed that guy on the FDR (one of them was a cop) the rest of us have to worry about checkpoints and bikes being towed for no reason (or very little reason) but I digress ... Motorcyclist are better off not in the news unless its for a good deed or something....
1 member likes this
by Lannis
Lannis
To me, it's sort of like this:

THE AUTOMOTIVE WORLD CELEBRATES THE RETURN OF AN AMERICAN ICON - THE PIERCE ARROW!

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

THE AUTOMOTIVE LEGEND RETURNS AFTER 70 YEARS!

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Celebrate with us as we welcome the rebirth of one of the most luxurious, trend-setting, and beloved automobiles in American history, the Pierce-Arrow!

This revival of a legend is faithful to its namesake, with the same four-wheel layout, the same six-cylinder internal combustion engine, with the advantage of modern reliability and amenities. Since the halcyon days of the Roaring 20s, NO ONE has been able to experience the power, the cachet, and luxury of this iconic brand. NOW it can be YOURS! Place your order today!
1 member likes this
by BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
Originally Posted by GrandPaul

clap laughing beerchug
1 member likes this
by Shane in Oz
Shane in Oz
Originally Posted by ricochetrider
That said, we've also seen lesser efforts (Norton) and/or pricey custom-house stuff (Brough Superior) which made considerable less (commercially sustainable) splash, but hey-
The various "Norton" ventures were under-capitalised, as was BSA Regal. That won't be a problem if Mahindra is serious about entering the motorcycle market. Things seem to have been happening in the background, so I'm quietly optimistic like Morgan.

"Retro" machines seem to have a market, as Royal Enfield is proving, and electric thingies are almost certainly going to have future growth.
1 member likes this
by Irish Swede
Irish Swede
Most of these revivals of old brand-names fail because of money shortages. The "Henderson' fiasco being just one example.

But, like the Polaris revival of the "Indian" brand, I think Mahindra has the money and engineering to actually pull it off.
1 member likes this
by Morgan aka admin
Morgan aka admin
Times flies faster when you'er invited.. just saying.. 👍
Attached Images
1 member likes this
by BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
The naysayers and keyboard pundits are having a great old time most every where I look but it is pleasing to see some folks (Wade. Tom etc) with a glass half full attitude to life.

2c
1 member likes this
by BSA_WM20
BSA_WM20
Originally Posted by wadeschields
According to what I’ve read , The new BSA‘s are designed in England and built in Coventry. So they are actually British bikes. The only difference is Mahendra actually cares about about motorcycles unlike the BSA board did back in the day.

I am yet to find a billionair whose pprimary concern was not making even more money.
Mahindra have expanded about as far as they can making tractors and like all tractor makers are suffering stiff competition for far cheaper Chinese made tractors and a rebirth of Korean tractors & mowers.Mmahindra bought SSangYung for $ 500,000,000 in 2010 to have a shot at car making but pulled out in 2020 because the predicted profits were not high enough.
The idea that Indian multi millionairs have a fondness for British anything is quite laughable considering the way the UK companies raped & pillaged India prior to self rule ( get a copy of Inglorious Empire and have a read ) .
Mahindra are there to make money full stop and that is it.
Originally they would have planned to use a UK manufacturing base to be able to sell into the EU and I would imagine Brexit is one big reason why they are 2 years behind the original planned release dates and why the Jawa relaunch, which was supposed to happen after BSA in the original press releases ended up being launched first .

As for being "Made in England" assembled in England from imported & locally made parts will be more like the reality .
Time will tell but Mahindra do not go tossing good money after bad and if it does not make a profit then it will be dumped as they have done in the past .
IT was big news in the mower business a few years back the Mahindra Agrucultural were about to entent the ride on mower market with a range of ZTR's and to that effect were negoating to acquire a few defunct USA mower brands but in each case the deals failed to materialize so they launched with a range of tractor style ride ons and a large range on add ons for other brands like rakes & baggers.
1 member likes this
by Hugh Jörgen
Hugh Jörgen
Bringing out the lipstick already?
laughing
1 member likes this
by Tridentman
Tridentman
They have certainly learnt the lesson from Triumph with lots of retro styling cues---the gas tank badge, the timing cover shape, the gas tank part chromed and part painted etc etc.
1 member likes this
by PINEMONKEY
PINEMONKEY
Huh. Reminds me very much of the New Bonneville circa 2001... at least, the Gold Star-ish equivalent.
(The "air filter" thing looks as if it was cribbed directly from the 90's Thunderbirds).
I think with a more elegant exhaust it could be a very appealing machine.
1 member likes this
by GrandPaul
GrandPaul
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
Yeah.

Just what we needed.

More "Gold Star" confusion, to add to the old B50 so-called "Gold Star" parts listed on re-sale sites.

How much does this thing WEIGH? Will it be an over-weight version, like the new "Bonneville' is to the old?
Yes, it has to have the Gold Star name, to sell as many as possible.

I'll bet they googled "Gold Star", then tallied up which exhaust style appeared the most, and used that style.

As far as "overweight" (as compared to Bonnevilles new and old), I'm imagining this bike won't be such a slouch, just as the new Bonnie wasn't/isn't.

Put a clean, original, well-tuned early ('02) New Bonnie (sub-800cc) up against a similarly sorted very late model classic Bonnie ('83 750) and I don't think there is ANY comparison in overall performance anywhere.
1 member likes this
by Irish Swede
Irish Swede
Remember; Count Agusta built helicopters, but he loved motorcycles and racing, so MV Augsta bikes came to be.
1 member likes this
by BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
A couple or three questions

Presumably this is the prototype?
Is there a production facility in operation somewhere?
Is there a dealer network?

2c
1 member likes this
by GrandPaul
GrandPaul
Originally Posted by Chris the camper.
What have you got against John Bloor?
Nothing WHATSOEVER.

I oftentimes reply to posts on the subject, with replies ALWAYS in support of Bloor and the PROPER way to resurrect a classic motorcycle brand from almost certain doom. He took his time, used LOTS of his money, hired all the right people, and didn't screw around with brand marketing until he had PRODUCTS AND DEALERS in place and SUPPLIED.

In fact, my biggest gripe is that they "modernized" the logo. i can completely see modernizing the technical aspects of the BIKE (of course), but the logo?
1 member likes this
by wadeschields
wadeschields
1 member likes this
by John Harvey
John Harvey
According to the man from BSA and at around 40 seconds into the video below the engine was designed in Austria, I'm guessing Rotax?
1 member likes this
by Rich B
Rich B
Picture of the LH side

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
1 member likes this
by Rich B
Rich B
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com