Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
Triumph 650/750 High-Output Alternator Kit
by The Bonneville Shop - 01/13/23 11:29 pm
New FAQ post
Missing edit button
by wrench136 - 05/30/22 2:57 pm
News & Announcements
Premium members! 🌟
by Morgan aka admin - 01/28/23 3:01 pm
Buy BritBike staff a coffee ☕️ or pint 🍺
by Morgan aka admin - 01/15/23 9:29 am
Benefactor ✅
by Morgan aka admin - 01/08/23 8:38 pm
Gold members! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
by Morgan aka admin - 01/03/23 6:30 pm
How to guides - Technical articles
British Fasteners Specs
by Morgan aka admin - 01/03/23 1:29 pm
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
Tridentman
Tridentman
New Jersey USA
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 76
DavidP 64
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 36
DavidP 25
Newest Members
sam keller, Raz, HermDawg, 47sqfour, Blackdoctor
12,383 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,514
Posts783,703
Members12,383
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Thread Like Summary
Gordon Gray, Howard Inough, PINEMONKEY, ricochetrider, royaloilfield
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#863415 11/17/2021 10:27 PM
by Rich B
Rich B
Who is planning on going?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Liked Replies
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Good times! Nice to see everyone, and nice to meet Pete Suchawreck, too.

EDIT: Had an unexpected call from Bill E on Friday night so with Miss C's "blessing", I bumped out to have a beer & a burger with him while waiting for Wade & Gerry to make it down to PA from NYC. Great hanging out as always Bill. Nice to have a bit of quiet time before the deluge. Maybe it was a good thing the bar closed early- I was feeling like I'd had a wee bit more than "plenty" by the time I got home!

The swap meet is a fantastic break from the winter cabin fever vibe and all my friends from everywhere -and every group, BMW, Brit, vintage dirt, 1% etc- come out so its a big social gathering for my part- which is good as I am neither buying nor selling anything. The one variable this year that threw a bit of a proverbial stick in the spokes, was my having an afternoon gig in Hershey- it added a small amount of pressure to hang out, grab lunch then bolt to the gig.
Hugh Mackie of Sixth Street Specials came down and was around all weekend then as an added bonus on the way out I bumped into Fumi, who works for Hugh. He was day tripping down from NYC, just for the afternoon!

Whee.

PS I did shoot a small amount of black and white film- maybe half a roll, and took a handful of phone pix... so at some point could have some images to share
3 members like this
by Pete Suchawreck
Pete Suchawreck
I had a booth too. Met some of the guys for the first time at the Liquid Hero. Nice to chat with everyone and see faces. I did very well at the swap meet. Sold $500 worth on Saturday to other vendors!! First sale was before I even got inside- I'm wheeling in Husky wheels and someone bought them on the spot. I had Triumph odds and ends, a Harley Sportster seat, peanut gas tank, (came on my Velocette), books, flotsam and jetsam- a mix of dirt and street. Cleared $1200 cleaning out my garage. Flabbergasted.

The last sale of the day was to a guy I saw in the parking lot while I was loading up to go home. He had a small Villiers engined red Brit bike with a skeleton seat. I knocked on the window and said I had a new Wassel seat for his bike. Sold!

Picked up a '68 Triumph twin leading shoe brake hub for a wheel I bought for a project and a set of 13 1/2" Ohlins for the same. Very good weekend!
The ride home was brutal-took an extra two hours to fight through the snow and mountains going north.
3 members like this
by Pete Suchawreck
Pete Suchawreck
I'm up for Liquid hero after I set up the booth. Going to the AHRMA banquet Sat nite.
2 members like this
by Lannis
Lannis
Hoping a good time was had by all ... I did!

Sold enough bits to pay my expenses for the trip, so it was like a "free" weekend. I used the Dodge pickup this time because the chances were better than even that I'd be converting my pocket full of money into something that would require using the ramp and straps to haul something home ... It's a great Interstate cruiser, the old 318 idling along at 2000 RPM at 75 MPH in overdrive, but even on the highway it burned 37 gallons of gas for the 600 mile trip, at at Pennsylvania gas prices that's no small expense.

Partnered with bustednukel on a vendor space; that worked out well, we could watch for each other's stuff (and sell it) while the other was out shopping.

It's an interesting place. We were next to a guy who had a bunch of bike stuff, and a Marantz receiver/amplifier from the 70s under a pile of stuff on his table. For every 1 person who asked about the bike stuff at his space or ours, 20 people asked what he'd take for the Marantz. People were lined up to ask about it. He was asking $350 for it, which was apparently above market value because he took it home with him at the end of the show despite hundreds of audiophiles with money in their pocket prepared to unbelt for it.

Very little British or Harley stuff. I suspect that people would love to see more Harley stuff there, because lots of people were asking about and buying the Harley bits that bustednukel had. Lots more European dirt bikes than you see at VMD, and more complete bikes .. VMD tends to be piles of frames, projects, and plastic; there are a lot more complete and running bikes here.

Didn't buy a bike, despite being tempted by two Yamaha CT-3s, a Penton Jackpiner, and a Bultaco Alpina, all running and reasonably priced. I know what I'm going to buy now, though.

It was good to see all of our crew there, even though we didn't spend a lot of time together since there was no campfire .... York is, as always, overpowered - two hour wait times at every restaurant, SRO in the pub. Looks like all the factories and plants are running overtime, very little "rust belt" vibe there.

Action was winding down fast by 1:30 on Sunday, so packed up and headed out, got a pizza at "Rocco's" in East Berlin, and then home. That last hour and a half home seemed to take forever!

Lannis
Attached Images
2 members like this
by Lannis
Lannis
Originally Posted by MikeG
I tried to sell some treasures cheap but no takers...

I sold as much stuff on Saturday to other vendors as I did Sunday.

Several knowledgeable BSA guys (Terry Parker, Kerry Kubena) looked at your dual-port A10 head and said they'd never seen one under $500, and you were asking half that. Both of them are "winding down" out of the business, though, and declined even though I encouraged an offer!

You have to find the right guy for some stuff. I had a brand new GIVI windshield for an MT-09 Yamaha that's $189 from GIVI, and I was asking $20, still in the original bubble wrap and labels. Problem is, ONLY a guy with an MT-09 Yamaha is going to interested at even 99 cents, and he has to be looking ...

Still, it's worth dropping a line in the water and see who might like to bite! It's half the fun ....

Lannis
2 members like this
by Bustednukel
Bustednukel
Lannis and I both thought this Lightning was stunning! I talked to the owner as the show closed; helped him get it off the elevated stand. He said it was a complete rust bucket when he started restoration.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
2 members like this
by wadeschields
wadeschields
Im planning to go and have a friend staying at the house with me... You probably remember him from the last one.. He went to the White Rose with us for lunch
1 member likes this
by edunham
edunham
I reserved a room at the Hampton Inn York on Mt. Zion Rd. It is the same place that we stayed at 2 years ago. Prices are reasonable but not cheap. The lowest price, however, is not cancellable. I went for the price which is just a few bucks more and is cancellable. With this new Omicron (which interestingly uses the same letters as moronic) variant, who knows whether the meet might be cancelled at the last minute.

Ed from NJ
1 member likes this
by royaloilfield
royaloilfield
I'm going. Bill I'll text ya.
1 member likes this
by Lannis
Lannis
Originally Posted by Bustednukel
Hope it don't snow. But I will go!

Maybe setup. Its a 10x10 and should fit 2 tables. Maybe jam a 3rd.
Would be good to have a BritBike member as a partner. Might defray gas and bridge cost. Plus half the time you could be out searching for more junk and what not. They give you 2 tickets if you setup. I think you can rent a table from 'em if need be. PM me if interested.

PM'ed and we're on! Thanks!

Lannis
1 member likes this
by JubeePrince
JubeePrince
I'm planning on it!

Steve
1 member likes this
by No Name Man
No Name Man
Got my hand up
1 member likes this
by BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
Originally Posted by edunham
............With this new Omicron (which interestingly uses the same letters as moronic) variant ...................

Ed from NJ

Like it laughing clap beerchug
1 member likes this
by GrandPaul
GrandPaul
Man, oh man, that looks like an event I'd LOVE to go to!

Show a couple of bikes, sell all my leftover spares, meet online friends in person.

Too bad it's SO FAR AWAY!
1 member likes this
by No Name Man
No Name Man
Liquid Hero Sat. afternoon? Sort of a tradition isn't it? White Rose Sun. afternoon...ditto
Left to decide is Sat. evening dinner
1 member likes this
by Lannis
Lannis
Rolled in a couple hours ago, set up, already sold some stuff to other vendors, the Kubena clan is selling OVBSAOC raffle tickets on a beautiful original B50, looks like it'll be a good swap meet...

Lannis
1 member likes this
by edunham
edunham
A few years ago, by the time we all toddled out of Liquid Hero, the wait at the Texas Roadhouse next to the hotel was too long and we ate at a Red Robin (Not my favorite). The steakhouse we ate at the last time did not get universal approval and seems to be out of business. There is a Longhorn a short distance away from the hotel. Neither Texas Roadhouse nor Longhorn take reservations. My suggestion is that we toddle out of Liquid Hero earlier (perhaps with some purchases), and try to get to Roadhouse or Longhorn by 5ish. We can then re-convene afterwards at the hotel. I would rather avoid driving at night in a strange town after indulging (I must be getting old!).

Ed from NJ
1 member likes this
by Rich B
Rich B
While I hated missing York this year, it was likely for the best. I got my weekends screwed up and committed to helping my dad (a mere 90 years young) on Saturday. I woke up to no heat Saturday morning, which was awesome...NOT! But got that sorted out and spent the day with dad.

Sunday we got snow so I got to spend quality time with handlebars and hand controls. Not on a motorcycle but connected to a snow blower. I would have had to do that little chore when I got home from York. Instead, I did it with some day light.

Sorry I missed it.
1 member likes this
by wadeschields
wadeschields
I hosted Hugh from 6th Street Specials and his new family Saturday, so I couldn't break away for drinks in York on Saturday... Then Sunday morning I made a big breakfast which made me a bit later then I wanted to be getting to the swap meet... I was surprised how many of you left before I got there at 10:30 AM... Sorry I missed some of you both days... Always next event I guess. But I did hang out with Bill Friday night and Saturday... That was nice... Picked up some small bits from Lannis and also got a Champion Spark plug box for the garage... Was hoping for something BSA but I still had a good time... Then lunch was good at the White Rose and was even lucky enough to catch Mike and Bob eating there before their long drive home

Need to find out what these spark plugs are for... Maybe I can get some of my money back shocked

1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2023 britbike.com