Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Tridentman
Tridentman
New Jersey USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 80
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 16 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Allan G
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by drunkenmonkz
drunkenmonkz
On my 64 a65 engine build is it possible to use the later clutch throw setup with the older engine. How would I adapt it if so..? Thanks!
Liked Replies
by NickL
NickL
It can be a load of hassle, as Allan says really you need the inner and outer covers
then you need the timing idler pinion, then the kickstart quadrant and gearbox one and on and on........
Plus you'll need BSF screws/allen bolts of different lengths on a few.
If you have a pile of stuff laying around you can ferret through to achieve the job,
yes , but if you don't , stick to the early setup and avoid the stress.
The early setup is ok anyway, just make sure the adjustment is correct.
Plus as Allan said, the clutch is a better unit.

Nick
1 member likes this
by drunkenmonkz
drunkenmonkz
Originally Posted by Allan G
Do you mean the 70’ on actuating arm or the 3 spring clutch basket and components?

In both instances the answer is yes. But it isn’t all as simple as it seems.

If you are referring to the basket, then you need all the components off the later engine. Though if you have a 4 spring unit, it’s much better and many will say to stick with it.

If you want to use the 70’ on clutch ball/ramp setup then you would also need the appropriate inner cover and some longer cover screws in your correct thread form for your engine year. Then by swapping the inner timing cover you also run the risk that the in line reaming of the idler bushes won’t be in align. I’ve had a few that aren’t and one that did.

The 70 and on timing side assembly. I have a newby clutch basket fitted. Hmm. I've got one post 70 assembly in my pile but it sounds like chances are it's not worth fiddling with trying to make it work. Thanks for the input!
1 member likes this
by Mark Z
Mark Z
I prefer the earlier straight-pull clutch release. It works just as well as the ball-and-ramp affair, with fewer parts and potential wear points. It's also simpler to adjust the linkage.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com