Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
KC in S.B.
KC in S.B.
Santa Barbara, California
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 77
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
kevin 21
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
7 members (2ndchildhood, Robert Dentico, kevin, Cyborg, Hugh Jörgen, TR7RVMan, Magnetoman), 36 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Al Navecky Jr, JBMorris
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#861017 10/17/2021 10:33 PM
by JBMorris
JBMorris
Each year my beloved bike sits in an old lawnmower shed- Un-heated - Each Spring the gearbox oil shows off grey condensation slurry.
Will a proprietary google sourced cover help in this regard?
Next option is to rent an enclosed - heated storage - worth it ?
Any & all - appreciated. . . . . . .[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Liked Replies
#861042 Oct 18th a 08:56 AM
by kommando
kommando
60W old school light bulb on a timer to come on overnight under the sump with a breathable cotton sheet over the bike works, The Vac bag works too but only if the desiccant is dried out in an oven before insertion, repeat as required.
1 member likes this
#861031 Oct 18th a 02:51 AM
by Wilfred
Wilfred
dito Irish Swede. heated is good but the garden shed gets condensation and, among other things, moisture sitting at the bottom of a rim that isn't turning doesn't like that so now I wipe everything with the oily rag if I have to leave a bike unheated. My brother in law has a buddy who leaves his bike in the shed outside but, not unlike boat owners, has a light fixture with an old fashioned light bulb on all the time tends to improve the situation and he has no rust. If I have to leave it out of the house, I also remove the carb and fuel tank along with the battery and bring them all inside after changing the oil.

But, of course, as many do, the best place to store your bike is in the house in the living room where it will stay comfortable and maybe even get some attention.

Cheers, Wilf
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com