Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
MikeJ
MikeJ
San Mateo, CA USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
11 members (KevRasen, desco, D.Bachtel, wilksville, John Harvey, Spitfire Ken, Magnetoman, triton thrasher, konon, M.Gunderson, Stuart Kirk), 44 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
John Harvey
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by John Harvey
John Harvey
Just doing some big end bearing clearance checks on my 74 T120V crank, before putting it all together and have had a bit of a surprise!
The crank is still on standard journal size and measures closer to the upper limit than to the lower limit, so all well and good and has since been tuftrided and dynamically balanced. I bought some new std size bearing shells fitted them to a pair of new Thunder Engineering con rods. Having measured and set the micrometer to the journal diameter, I then zeroed my 0.0001" bore gauge to check the bearing clearance after having torqued the bearing cap.
[Linked Image]
The big end bearing clearance from the workshop manual is supposed to be between 0.0005"/0.0020" and the new shells are reading 0.0022", so just out of top limit.
I thought I'd try the old shells as this engine had always had good oil pressure and to my amazement the clearance was 0.0005" bang on bottom limit as you can see below.
[Linked Image]
It goes against my better judgement but it looks like I'm going to have to build this engine using the old shell bearings and not the new ones!
I'd be interested in any thoughts on this as it goes against what is supposed to be good practice.
Cheers, John
Attached Images
Liked Replies
by kommando
kommando
Made by Clevite then who do make good bearings, they will be trimetallic with a lead indium overlay plating for good antisieze properties.
1 member likes this
by kommando
kommando
The overlay plating on the Clevite and the VP trimetallic bearings (VP bought a manufacturing license from Clevite for their VP2 bearings so both are Clevite 77) is microns thick. It's very soft to improve embedibility ie to absorb grit and stop it wearing the journals but once the overlay is full it has the opposite effect as the grit is hard. So fit an oil filter so the oil is clean and the grit build up in the overlay is minimised. Also as the overlay protects the next layer of leaded bronze from the acids in the oil attacking it as soon as any bronze shows from behind the overlay then the bearings need changing.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com