Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Myles Raymond
Myles Raymond
Glasgow, Scotland
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
5 members (L.A.B., quinten, RPM, Morgan aka admin, Chris the camper.), 39 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Janner, Stein Roger, TinkererToo
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Janner
Janner
Hi forumites
This is my first post, so, a brief overview

Having given up riding, when serious ties with a lady occured, back in 1971, I am now looking to rejoin the 2 wheeled Triumph community.

I'm retired, with less time on my hands than I hoped, but, happy to be out of the rat race.

However, I need a project for my smallish workshop and a T90 or 3TA, needing a little TLC would fit the bill
I'm in no rush, but feel that being on Triumph fora will help me connect with the right people

John
Liked Replies
by Irish Swede
Irish Swede
If life with any woman is like what it is in the USA, when the 350 is complete offer her a ride, then convince her that you need a BIGGER bike.
1 member likes this
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
Welcome to the fold Janner. I just got rid of a herd of 650s ( 5- XS650s) and to be completely honest they were getting to a point where they were to heavy for me to roll around the garage safely. I just rolled my B44R out to get ready for a short ride and I can still slide/drag the rear end around by hand if need be. 100+ lbs or so make a big difference in my case.

I would think that you've thought this over and made your choice for a reason. Parts availability is a valid point but what's the point of having just another 500-650 on the road like everyone else......pretty much anybody can do that.

I hope you enjoy whatever bike you end up with, good luck and welcome aboard. (pun intended)

Gordon in NC, USA
1 member likes this
by AngloBike
AngloBike
A 5ta is more common and is really just a better 3ta
There shouldn't be more than a few pounds extra as it is the same bike
There's a far better choice of 500's than 350's and possibly same price of cheaper?

Whatever you choose, get the best you can as everything is more expensive than you think
(Paint/rims etc)
A do'er up costs more than someone else's work
1 member likes this
by John Harvey
John Harvey
Hi Janner, are you a Devonian by the way? Your user name suggests that you are!

Don't know if you've seen this, an excellent website dedicated to the Triumph unit 350/500 models https://triumph-tiger-90.com/

Good luck with your search for Triumph twin.

Regards, John
Living in Devon but not a Janner
1 member likes this
by Stein Roger
Stein Roger
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
"Underpowered" bikes are generally good for economy and long life because they aren't stressed as much.

Not "thrilling," but dependable.
Originally Posted by TinkererToo
But maybe not so good for accelerating out of trouble?

Indeed, but there are ways around it... : https://www.accessnorton.com/NortonCommando/worlds-fastest-bathtub-praps.33222/

SR
1 member likes this
by Peter Williams
Peter Williams
Hi Janner,

Welcome back to 2 wheels.

Thought I'd throw in my 2 pence worth.

I have had a 3TA for 20+ years that my father-in-law gifted to me. When I first had it I really didn't like it. I also had a CBR600 at the time and liked to tear around everywhere rather than tinkering with engines.
However, age (I'm 55 now) and responsibilities meant the CBR had to go, so I have spent more time working on the 3TA as well as riding it more. It is now pretty much sorted (in no small part thanks to some of the fine chaps on this forum).

Earlier this year I also fulfilled a life time dream and bought a '68 T120 Bonneville. Ownership to date has not been problem free and it has been in bits far more than I had anticipated. However, the little use I have had out of it so far has revealed something that surprised me...I really like my 3TA.

The 3TA is different (half bathtub) so you don't see so many. It is lighter and easy to move about the garage. It is certainly much easier to start and has never tried to take my leg off! I am sure once I have the T120 running well I will love that too but I will certainly keep riding the 3TA.

I'm not totally convinced by the "accelerating out of trouble" argument. I don't ride the 3TA on motorways and keep dual carriage way riding to a minimum. On other roads it is quick and agile on the twisty bits and the only time I find some more acceleration would be good is if I'm stuck behind someone on a single carriageway, but I try to chill a bit and wait for a suitable opportunity pass. I have ridden a few times with my son, who is learning on a modern Yamaha 125, and the 3TA is quicker 0-50ish and they both top out at around 65-70 on the flat.

One thing that I would say you might want to consider. Whilst the bathtub does make the bike standout a bit, as Ginge says above, they are a pain when it comes to maintenance, as is a headlight nacelle. If you are looking to spend more time riding and less time tinkering then you might want to consider that.

I don't think you'd regret buying a 3TA. Let us know what you decide.

Peter
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com