Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
5% Off Everything for Brit Bike Users
by The Bonneville Shop - 12/30/21 4:54 pm
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Robert Dentico
Robert Dentico
Mid -Coast Maine - US
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Cyborg 60
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Cyborg 22
NickL 21
Newest Members
Andyozz, BCDEREK, Flatspot, Larry Nelson, Binksy
11,983 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
8 members (rick e., raf940, bsalloyd, NYBSAGUY, TR6Ray, Shane in Oz, Rob Smith, Hugh Jörgen), 29 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics75,266
Posts758,170
Members11,982
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, Gordon Gray
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Mark Z
Mark Z
Can this be done? If yes, what is involved? I've just purchased a '71 A65 basket case, and I'm investigating the possibility of using the front forks on my dry-frame A65 bitsa, so I also have the '71 yokes and front wheel.
Liked Replies
by edunham
edunham
I can't speak for A65s, but I have a later set of forks on my 441. There are kits for installing tapered roller bearings in the fork neck precisely for that purpose and the forks just pop in place. It didn't make the 441s steering heavy, although I can't compare since I built the bike out of a basket case. I would be surprised if there aren't similar kits for the A65.

Ed from NJ
1 member likes this
by DavidP
DavidP
Originally Posted by Allan G
I’ve found the 69/70 front end great on an A65 but lousy on the 100lb heavier rocket 3, likewise with the oif forks. The late forks are great on an A65.
I've never experienced a pre-conical front brake, but I agree with your assessment.
I had the drum on my '72 T150V, totally inadequate. I swapped the disc front end from my A65 onto the Trident. Conical was just fine on the A65.
BTW: The Trident still features the caged ball head bearings. So far so good, but those bearings are very expensive. I'll convert to rollers when they wear out. The OIF already has roller bearings.
1 member likes this
by gavin eisler
gavin eisler
From factory manuals.
1970 Dry frame 27 degrees rake.
1971 OIF 28 degrees rake.

Low speed heaviness is a lot worse with a soft front tyre, my 71 feels very different if the front drops a few psi.
1 member likes this
by gavin eisler
gavin eisler
Reading off the drawings in the books.

1970 the engine centre line as the datum

The dry frame is 16 7/8" from the datum to the centre off the lower steering head bearing plane

1971 OIF

The swing arm centre is the datum line , this is approx 1.2 inches above the motor centre line, .
The 71 drawing shows datum to lower steering head plane centre is 13.643, adding 1.2 , gives 14.84, about 2 " lower than the dry frame? relative to the motor that is

never mind all that, I am sure it will all be fine, its been a popular upgrade for decades.
1 member likes this
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com